stress stress stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatima41200

fdsaf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ggg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say major in something that is going to be interesting for you, and thus something you're more likely to do well in........ IF you can also handle adding on the required science courses assuming the major isn't a traditional "pre-med/science" degree.

I went with the psych degree because it was very interesting to me at the time and at my particular university it was a very flexible degree in that we had a lot leeway in tailoring the sorts of classes we wanted to take within the major. Our pysch dept was also closely associated with the neuroscience dept that offered a lot of research opportunities.

So think about what majors would be more interesting to you. Maybe look into the specific programs at the university there and see specifically what they entail.

Also, at some level you'll probably want to think about what would happen if you ended up not going to medical school and want you would want to do. I first was in our bio program and after a year switched out after i realized that there was nothing I would want to do with that degree if for some reason I didn't go to med school.

You should major in whatever it is you are good at and really enjoy. If English is your thing, be an English major! The rule of thumb is that as long as you complete the pre med requirements you can major in anything you want, just do well in your pre med courses. I myself am a Bio major but thats because I like Biology, even though for awhile I was almost a History major. Maybe you shouldn't declare a major quite yet, and give yourself a semester to figure out what you really love, because in the end if you love what you're doing then you'll get better grades and generally do better in wherever your going in life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, at some level you'll probably want to think about what would happen if you ended up not going to medical school and want you would want to do. I first was in our bio program and after a year switched out after i realized that there was nothing I would want to do with that degree if for some reason I didn't go to med school.

yeah I have thought about that, a very vulgar thing to think about but if I don't get into medical school I really don't know what I would do...Nursing would be a possibility though.

Alright dude, before I give you advice you need to take three deep breaths. Seriously, do it.

OK, now that is done I'll give you advice. It's good that you have drive and a particular goal in mind, but you shouldn't have tunnel vision. UPitt is a few years away, and you may change your mind on your speciality after your rotations. A good doctor is flexible and adaptive, especially in the mental health profession. Your next few years are going to be a heck of a lot smoother if you roll with the punches rather than having a rigid agenda.

The major you pick should have two aspects to it: 1) you are truly interested in it, and 2) it is a good long term investment. While only you can decide which major is best for you, I would personally go with the science major with a liberal arts minor. If you find out that medical school is not what you want to do, a science degree may go farther in the working world than a degree in history; especially with our current economic state.

my $0.02

Alright dude, before I give you advice you need to take three deep breaths. Seriously, do it.

OK, now that is done I'll give you advice. It's good that you have drive and a particular goal in mind, but you shouldn't have tunnel vision. UPitt is a few years away, and you may change your mind on your speciality after your rotations. A good doctor is flexible and adaptive, especially in the mental health profession. Your next few years are going to be a heck of a lot smoother if you roll with the punches rather than having a rigid agenda.

The major you pick should have two aspects to it: 1) you are truly interested in it, and 2) it is a good long term investment. While only you can decide which major is best for you, I would personally go with the science major with a liberal arts minor. If you find out that medical school is not what you want to do, a science degree may go farther in the working world than a degree in history; especially with our current economic state.

my $0.02
Yeah U of Pittsburgh isn't the only school of course, its just my #1 as of now

I went to a tiny liberal arts college in the middle of nowhere for the fact that it would take me in a lot of interesting places. I started thinking of english/physics and moved toward mathematics and eventually found chemistry and biology to be where I belonged. Now after that being said, dont think that your major has such a big impact on the future.

My first goal was to be a doctor, I knew that much... however, I took a lot of art/design classes and loved sculpture and got very into architecture. I planned to put med school on hold and explore architecture and design. After graduating I was accepted to a top notch architecture program and did that for a semester and realized it was not my future.

Now I am studying for the MCAT and applying to med schools. Its great that I had the chance to try other things and realize that I belonged in medical schools. So, major in stuff you like and do things you are interested in - but explore them and dont make some kind of master plan for psychiatry while you are 19...

Fatima, the best antidote to your stress is to take this whole process one step at a time. Look at attending Pitt for medical school as your destination. In order to reach a destination, you need a map and you need to take small steps along the way. Start with the end in mind and work backwards.

You immediate next step would be to start completing your pre-reqs and choosing a major. For you major, I would recommend choosing one you enjoy and one where you will do well. Enjoying a major and doing well in it may not always go hand in hand. The fact of the matter is that you need a competitive GPA when you start to apply to medical school.

Along the way, volunteer, maybe shadow physicians and get clinical experience. Keep participating in extracurriculars that you love and think about getting involved in some research.

Get to know your profs along the way and do well on your MCAT when the time comes. Most of all, enjoy yourself and use these forums, your advisors, and family and friends for support and guidance.

As the saying goes, "Even the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Good luck!