1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Stressed about boards :(

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ocean11, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi Guys......

arghghgh I'm so depressed..... I'm so stressed about boards...... I know I need at least a 260 to get into dematology and will feel like a failure if I don't get it...... I don't know what's wrong with me....... but I can't sleep and keep fantasizing about that 260........ magic number...... SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. velo

velo bottom of the food chain
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ok, I'll help. BOARDS ARE MONTHS AWAY!!! Studying well for your classes is the best prep you can do right now. Chill out and just do your best, some research is probably more important than that magic 260 for matching in derm anyway

p.s. derm is mindnumbingly boring

Attending: What are you guys studying right now?
    Me: GI/endo/ENT/and derm
    Attending: Derm?! The answer is topical steroids, what's the question?
    Me: Tinea
    Attending: Damn. Ok steroids or anti-fungals...but that's it.

4. Fif the Great

Fif the Great Slowly Cracking Up
    5+ Year Member

I'll be lucky to get a 200 on Step 1. In the words of Justin Timberlake, cry me a river.

EDIT: ;)

5. blkkd

blkkd Electrically relaxing
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why is dermatology so competitive??

6. funkless

funkless Apatheist, Anestheologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    $, hours, stress

/noobs *sigh*

7. chef_NU

chef_NU G-Unit
    5+ Year Member

:laugh: :eek: :laugh:

8. felipe5

felipe5 Fingerpickin' Good
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    dude, its way to early to get "the fear"........don't ruin one of the last vacations you will have for a loooooooooong time.

9. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you guys are right........ I just have such high expectations of myself and lately I can't sleep, think straight or anything....... I sometimes wish I was born into the life of Paris Hilton.... rich, famous, dosn't have to work for her money..... so many people want to hire her for modeling assignments AND she gets to go on vacation whenever she wants....... when did she have to worry about boards or getting straight A's or B's or even passing!!! I don't even think she got through high school....... but the beauty of it is that she dosn' thave to!!! she even had a greek multibillionaire fiancee....... it's not fair :(

10. funkless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Spoken like a true student doctor.

Good luck saving the world, buddy. (And don't forget to shred your admissions essay!!!!!!)

11. chef_NU

chef_NU G-Unit
    5+ Year Member

Funkless for president! Heh I have a new favorite SDNer.

12. ear-ache

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Come up with a study plan and stick with it. Use your anxiety as motivation. For example;
    - Every evening do a 1/2 chapter out of First Aid.
    - Do this until you have gone through First Aid multiple times.
    - Start Q-bank questions early spring. Study in the AM (Continue to study from First Aid, it should be well worn by this point) and do Q-bank questions in the PM. Goal is to have Q-bank finished well before exam day. Repeat questions you have missed close to exam time.

You don't have to use this technique. Just come up with a study plan and stick with it. Your anxiety should decrease with prolonged repeated studying. :)

13. ear-ache

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And not to stress you out even more, but there is more to getting into a competitive residency than just board scores (although they are extremely important in the “weed-out” process). I.e. - clerkship grades, letters of recommendation, research (publications), AOA, extracurriculars, prestige of medical school, who you know, etc.

14. funkless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And not to stress you out even more, but the future-dermatologists among us are already well on top of things, and don't need to be told how to approach boards, wards, or anything else.

How's about this:

1. Ditch the dreams of idle affluence
    2. Stop aspiring to be like Paris Hilton (of all people!!! HAHAHAHA)
    3. Volunteer somewhere.
    4. Kill your TV
    5. Acclimate yourself to the upper echelon of mediocrity, where the water is a bit tepid, but not bad.
    6. Scour www.scutwork.com for nice family medicine residencies.

15. PoorMD

PoorMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ROFL

16. closertofine

closertofine Emerging from hibernation
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just curious, would you say the First Aid editions change much each year? I have the 2001 edition, and while I'm not planning on even getting it off the top shelf for quite a while, I was wondering if I'll still need to get this year's version.

17. funkless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Two conflicting thoughts to weigh:

1. The difference between a "2001 First Aid" and a "2005 First Aid" board score is probably nil.
    2. After shelling out $50,000 to get this far, what's $32.95 for an up-to-date review?

18. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey douchebag...you need at least a 276 to get derm...get your facts straight.

quit being a whiny beeyotch and go enjoy your winter break.

19. funkless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lattimer's right, but a 276 is just the beginning!

I hope you're applying yourself over the holiday break and getting that research protocol written!

(Pointing and laughing.)

20. closertofine

closertofine Emerging from hibernation
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hmm, true...I did also get the 2001 one for free, and it's pretty beat up, so maybe that could be my "excuse" for getting the newer one...but we'll see...

21. velo

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yup. To be honest, and I mean this in the most insulting way possible, I think derm is right for you.

22. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Douchbag? insulting? what's wrong with you people?! just because some of us have high ambitions dosn't mean anyone has the right to put us down..... whatever...... anyways for those with constuctive comments thank you, for all the others..... MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR :) :) :)

23. ear-ache

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would get the latest edition. It's likely that the differences between the 2001 and the 2006 are probably miniscule, but some subjects are tested more heavily then others as the years go by and this trend might be reflected in the 2006 edition. For me the $35 buys me a little piece of mind - I don't have to stress about how out-of-date my main study source is.

My 0.02
    Good Luck.

24. velo

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hahaha....derm....high ambitions.....you kill me

25. tupac_don

tupac_don Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Aren't we a little melodramatic. You are gunning for derm, and it's not fair that Paris Hilton gets to do nothing and get money. That's like saying, I am gonna be only in the top 2% of income bracket and Paris Hilton is in top 1% that's really not fair, why should she make millions and me in derm make only a measly 250 grand per year. Do you think that maybe its unfair that dermatologists make so much money for how little they do. I mean surgeons should be making most money if we are talking effort and time put in. But that doesn't seem unfair too you. It's not like you have to be on call or anything. I mean you are gunning for one of the top residencies, and you are depressed that you might not get in. You probably want derm cuz its eazy life (Might not be true, but from your post, seems like it is). Some people can say that its not fair, that you can even contemplate going to derm. But you don't think about that, you just think what's not fair relative to you. Get over it, go to a less competitive residency, and that's the end of that. In school, you got straight A's and now you wanna get into derm. Hell for some people who didn't get into med school it's not fair. But that's life, it's not always fair. If I were you I would just stop complaining, get in if you can, and if you can't form another strategy. Good luck. But please don't try to make people feel sorry for you b/c you can't get a 260, give me a break. If you are going for 260, I am sure you are comp for quite a few other fields, why stick with derm. I mean seriously it's more or less like FP, with chill hours, and its ubber comp., b/c they get such cush lifestyle.

26. tupac_don

tupac_don Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yea high ambition to live good, with minimal work! :laugh:

27. DieselPetrolGrl

DieselPetrolGrl twisterChamp&so much more
    7+ Year Member

calm yourself. dont smack on boards - you dont NEED to get 260/derm you know.. i mean unless curing acne is a lifelong dream of yours..in that case - you have my half-arse appologies.

28. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah curing acne is my lifelong ambition, I find acne fascinating... no really... I feel for people with bad skin and low self esteem and REALLY want to help them. What about people who are scarred or burn victims etc etc.... I do want to help. Anyhow, yes Derm is a nice life style and you know what? I've though hard about it... how is a someone supposed to have a balanced life, during residency too as a physician? it's hard! if you want to have a family, make a good salary and work minimum hours.... so what's the solution: Dermatology.... little on-call, little emergencies and one can have a social life and a great family life. Try telling me that you can have a 'well rounded' life in neurosurg or orthopedics..... or even residency in IM.... it's impossible...... so I say work hard NOW get the A's and the 260 and chill during residency/life!!

29. SarahGM

SarahGM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You find what really makes you happy. And then you find a practice that suits your lifestyle.

30. funkless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You'll have to get into college first...

31. noncestvrai

noncestvrai Member
    5+ Year Member

Mr/Ms ocean,

Why don't you apply for derm in Canada, it will solve you USMLE apprehensions...possibly, since I read that you are in Toronto.

noncestvrai

32. tigershark

tigershark Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You dont need a 260 for derm...I'd focus on getting AOA rather than a 260 if I were going to sell out and go into derm.

33. PickyBicky

PickyBicky Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Derm doesn't = high aspirations. I don't care what you tell me. And who are you kidding about this 260 BS.

-PB

34. YouDontKnowJack

YouDontKnowJack I no something you don't
    5+ Year Member

another guy who doesn't know why he wants to go into medicine......... well, except for money.

you know, as a family doctor, you make your own hours.. Isn't that great? Sure, you make the lower end of a 6 fig salary, but at least you have a family life.
    And if you have some investment/business skills, you can turn that salary in for a profit, and retire when you're 55.