stressed about getting into med school... advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cindy02

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am a junior preparing my application for med school right now. I attend a mostly science/engineering school (but I'm a humanities minor and I take a lot of humanity classes--need it to balance out the science here), and many of my friends are premed, but many of them are also really into research. I, on the other hand, find research interesting but do not plan to live next to the lab bench for the rest of my life. My interest is much more in the clinical aspects of medicine and I love interacting with people. So, I guess I have a few questions: 1. I don't think my accomplishments are as competitive as many friends/classmates who are in research (recently a lot of people have been saying "You need to publish/do really good research for med school") and so I would like to know if med schools have a quota for each undergrad institution? and 2. what are my real chances of getting into med schools? I would like to stay in the East Coast (preferably Northeast), so if you think I have a good chance in any specific school I would appreciate any advice! Here are some of my info for question #2...

Major: Biology
Minor: History
School GPA: 4.75/5.0
AMCAS GPA: don't know yet, application for 2002 entering class not up =)
MCAT: 10V, 11P, 12B, S writing
Recommendation: 2 awesome letters from history professors, 2 pretty good letters from science professors

Research:
I worked in a bioengineering lab 2/99-1/00, but I was off half of the time in the summer at an awesome summer job (see below), and eventually my grad student advisor decided to focus on work off campus, and decided to abandon my project. I got busy with my classes too, so I quit.
Summer of 2000 I worked at Harvard Medical School with a postdoc in a microbiology lab. This is about the time when I decided I don't like research that much. Never found my niche, I guess.

Other jobs:
-I worked at the National Youth Science Camp, a GREAT summer program for high school graduates. I worked as a photographer for the program and it was a mind-opening experience for me, teaching and learning from so many different people...
--Teaching/Tutoring: Right now I am a teaching assistant for a biology lab and I love it! I am also an associate advisor for eight freshmen. I am planning to be a TA for the bio class or for another freshman-oriented class next fall.
--This summer besides working for NYSC again I am also teaching at a 2-week pre-science/engineering program for minority junior high students.

Other activities/community service:
I am involved with our school yearbook. I have been on the editorial board for 3 years and will be an editor for the seniors section again this coming year. I am volunteering in a local hospital ER right now. I also volunteered at local programs teaching young girls science. I am the president of our school's premed AMSA chapter(very young, 2 years old). And I am involved with freshman orientation and well-being.

Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

i just think its funny that you danced around mentioning the name of your school. Lets see you are in Caimbridge, MA, your school has a bio/engineering focus, and your grades are out of 5.0.

I'd have to say that's a pretty narrow field. just curious why you didnt' say the name, are you embarrased to be at MIT? do you think it makes people jealous or they think you have a superiority complex just for mentioning it? I'm not trying to critize, it just struck me.

Well there's lots of good med schools up there where your grades/mcat are at or above; tufts, boston, dartmouth, vermont, probably lots of others, never forget your state school(s). good luck.

Let me geuss a mostly science and engineering school, a 5.0 GPA scale, and you're located in Cambridge Mass
wink.gif

You do NOT need research to get into med school. Research is only helpful if you're lacking in extracurricular activities, volunteering, or outside involvements which you don't seem to be lacking. I've even heard that some med schools somewhat discriminate against pre meds from your school. Your major really stands out from where you're coming from, and it would make you interesting to admissions people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I'm not too familiar with the 5.0 GPA scale, your application sounds very strong. I would not stress out about the lack of research/publications at all. It is a nice plus to have, and there are definitely some schools that seem to value it more than others, but the lack of it definitely will not keep you out of any school. I'm not sure what you meant about the "quota" though...

Thanks for the response! Well I guess I should have left my city out huh? =)

The reason I didn't name my school is that I've heard both good and bad things about it. Personally I think schools should just really look at qualifications of each student, and not the schools, but then it's inevitable...

Recently I've heard that a lot of schools are against the premeds from my school, just because of the stereotype of "nerdy", not-well-rounded people. In fact I was talking to someone from my school who was accepted to UCLA, and she told us that her interviewer had this major disgust when he found out where she's from. He just automatically assumed that we are complete nerds with no social life and no knowledge and interest in humanities and anything else. While I'm sure there are people like that, none of my premed friends fit that negative stereotype. We are all well-rounded people! And then on the other hand some adcomms look at us and say "wow, tough work from that school" and so they look favorably. So that's why I'm just wondering what other people think about us and so I didn't mention my school name =). I love MIT and my undergrad life here, but it's just upsetting when a prefrosh parent came up to me and started arguing (well, trying to convince himself) why his daughter should not come to MIT as premed...

but anyways, I'm off topic. Thanks for all the replies! =)

MIT's cool. You shouldn't be embarrassed to be there. In fact, don't they have that joint program with Harvard med, the HST program? I'd say that's a pretty prestigious program to get into...

One word...

irritating.

lilycat,
the 5.0 scale is just a point added to everything, 3.0 for a C, 4.0 for a B, 5.0 for an A. Also, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think MIT does not give +/- or at least they don't factor into GPA, thus A- is 5.0 and B+ or B- is 4.0.

As far as why they do this I have yet to hear a better explaination than MIT is concieted and they like think they are a point better than everyone else. It's pretty silly, but a friend of mine who goes there is a stereotypical MIT dork and loves to say "I have a 4.7" or whatever thinking he really impresses people.

Which Bioengineering lab did you work in?? I worked at MIT in the BMEC (Building 16) for 2 years.

Yes, the HST program is prestigious and probably the most difficult program to get into.

I think you have a great shot at getting into med school.

Best of luck...

It's amusing how some people are extremely qualified for medical school and worry about it. 3.6 GPA, 30 MCAT is the average for med school matriculants. You are well above these numbers, you go to a top-tier school, and your extracurriculars are excellent. Good luck to you in med school.
smile.gif

Okay! Well, this has been a terrific post. And you know what? You deserve it! Because you're good enough, you're smart enough, and, doggonit, people like you!

Feel better?