pilottodoctor

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
ok so i got in trouble with law and i got misdemeanor theft which is class misdeameanor C in 2009, since then i have done lot of voluntary work and working on research as assistant, i learnt my lesson and i have been a good citizen since the incident. i have passed my usmle with very scores and have very good recomendations from my professors. My questions will be able to get in residency program/get medical liecnce to practice, i am so depressed and cant even concentrate on my rotations and even step2. i havent spoken with anyone at school. please help or any advise.

thanks

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
ok so i got in trouble with law and i got misdemeanor theft which is class misdeameanor C in 2009, since then i have done lot of voluntary work and working on research as assistant, i learnt my lesson and i have been a good citizen since the incident. i have passed my usmle with very scores and have very good recomendations from my professors. My questions will be able to get in residency program/get medical liecnce to practice, i am so depressed and cant even concentrate on my rotations and even step2. i havent spoken with anyone at school. please help or any advise.

thanks
Talk to a lawyer. Now. All other advice is useless.

Buzz Me

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

thanks
Remember also that as an FMG you face hurdles separate from your legal issues, and as such will be competing with others without the blemish on their record.

Agreed that you should talk to a lawyer.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with the advice to get an attorney.
I also agree that if you are a foreign medical grad then you have compounded your problems that you would already have (the fact that you'll need a visa and that some programs don't take FMG's at all).

Mar 2, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
It may be more of an issue with getting a medical license for residency, rather than a problem with getting a residency itself. As of 2008, most state Boards of Health require finger print checks with a complete background check, then if there is a problematic background the result is sent directly to the state board. So there is no way to hide this issue or provide any explanation. I am not sure what the state policies are with respect to misdemeanors. Perhaps it's something that you should call them directly to find out, if you decide not to employ a lawyer. Good luck.

pilottodoctor

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
all the legal process is finished (as in regarding my case), only thing my lawyer told me is that after 5 years i can get my record sealed. now as far as residency goes, i was told that by one of my friend that as long as it is not felony its not a big deal offcourse i have to explain to the board people or PD. How is lawyer going to help me through residency process??:confused:

BobA

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
You might be surprised if you're upfront with people about how they will respond.

2Sexy4MedSchool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
"I may be going to Hell in a bucket, but at least
Status
Resident [Any Field]
all the legal process is finished (as in regarding my case), only thing my lawyer told me is that after 5 years i can get my record sealed. now as far as residency goes, i was told that by one of my friend that as long as it is not felony its not a big deal offcourse i have to explain to the board people or PD. How is lawyer going to help me through residency process??:confused:
My advice is limited to the state of California; I don't know where you live now or what the laws of your state are, so please take this advice with a grain of salt.

In California, even "expunged" criminal convictions must be disclosed on applications for licensing. In other words, you can expunge a conviction here for the purpose of public records searches, but the law enforcement computers maintained by the state Dept of Justice will always show the original conviction and licensing boards have access to those records.

See California Penal Code section 1203.4: http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/1203.4.html

Finally, your post seems to suggest your conviction was simply a small theft-related offense, which is not as big a deal as a drug offense. But the fact that it was "only" a misdemeanor does not in and of itself make it no big deal. Some drug offenses and crimes of moral turpitude are misdemeanors and can have very serious repercussions. I would also recommend you contact an attorney who specializes in licensing issues to help navigate the process of residency and licensure. 2S4MS

pilottodoctor

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thanks for all advise guys

JustTheFacts

5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My advice is limited to the state of California; I don't know where you live now or what the laws of your state are, so please take this advice with a grain of salt.

In California, even "expunged" criminal convictions must be disclosed on applications for licensing. In other words, you can expunge a conviction here for the purpose of public records searches, but the law enforcement computers maintained by the state Dept of Justice will always show the original conviction and licensing boards have access to those records.

See California Penal Code section 1203.4: http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/1203.4.html

Finally, your post seems to suggest your conviction was simply a small theft-related offense, which is not as big a deal as a drug offense. But the fact that it was "only" a misdemeanor does not in and of itself make it no big deal. Some drug offenses and crimes of moral turpitude are misdemeanors and can have very serious repercussions. I would also recommend you contact an attorney who specializes in licensing issues to help navigate the process of residency and licensure. 2S4MS
I just want to point out that theft (even misdemeanor) is considered an act of moral turpitude by some states. And some have automatic bars to licensing if convicted of such an offense. It really makes is hard to decipher all this because often there is more than one set of rules (Occupational Code, Penal Code, Administrative Code, Rules, etc.) that govern how a State's Medical Board is to act.

Good luck.

shopsteward

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2010
Walking the dog
Status
Non-Student
It might be a good idea for the OP to consult a lawyer if there are any futher steps on their immigration status that need to be fulfilled - ie if they are not a US citizen and don't have a green card.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

thanks
First, I wouldn't play up the fact of all you have done good since 2009. 2009 isn't very long ago. It's a year and a half ago. Time may heal all wounds, but insignificant time has past for you to play up the "learnt my lesson and have done a good track record since then" card. Second, crimes committed as an adult don't get expunged in any meaningful way for licensing and career purposes. You have to own up to these. A petty theft misdemeanor probably won't keep you from getting licensed, if you are honest about everything, but I can't say it won't make you competitive for residencies.

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Moving to allopathic.

Kadava Reviva

Brutally Honest
10+ Year Member