Stressed and overwhelmed freshman...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nico0313

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I know this is probably overkill since I'm only in my first year, but I have decided I am 100% on the pre-medical track. I'm just feeling stressed and overwhelmed at the competitiveness of pre-med, and I'm not sure how to put my best foot forward.

Some of my stats:
  1. Attending a top 10 in the US
  2. URM: Latino (Colombian), identifies as LGBTQ
  3. Interested in public health and minority health
  4. Dream school: UCSF-UCB Joint MD/MPH program
I'm just going to list some of my concerns and if you have any advice, I would be all ears :^)
  1. I am thinking of studying Applied Mathematics with a focus on Biology or Public Health. Would this set me up well for Public Health work, or should I shoot for something more like sociology?
    • My school doesn't offer a public health major. I'm much more interested in the social aspects of medicine, but I just don't think I would pay as much attention in a social science based classes. I also love doing mathematics, and feel like this passion will carry me further.
  2. I have been involved in different (both health and non health) public service activities. For the caliber of school I'm shooting for, is earning leadership in these activities enough? Or should I be aiming to create some program of my own?
  3. In high school, I was a really accomplished classical vocalist. This year in college, I didn't do much singing. I want to join a 'fun' club next year, but I'm wondering if I should be thinking about joining something I can be distinguished in? For example, I'm not in any athletics, musical groups, etc... I could join a choir or also have been thinking about joining a latin dance group. Any advice on developing personal talents, that could also be used to make you stand out for med. school? I'm just worried I won't stand out among peers who are violinists, D1 athletes, etc...
  4. For someone interested in MD/MPH dual degree programs, any advise on what type of activities or accomplishments I should be aiming for during undergrad.?
  5. Any advise on how to get into a school as competitive as UCSF?
Thanks all !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand your concern, but you got to slow dow a little. The way you are thinking right now will cause you to burn out early. Doing what you are passionate about is the most important thing. Yes you are going to need clinical experience, non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and research (up to you), and within those categories it is important to pick things that you want to do. You are worried too much about what you might see other people doing. A small percentage of people applying are those you described as D1 athletes, violinists etc. Not everything is about your resume. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing is going to be nearly as important as your grades and MCAT. There is a pretty well tried-and-true formula for getting into med school. Make As in your classes, get a high MCAT score, and check the rest of the boxes people always agonize over on this website—dabble in some research, do some volunteering and shadowing, and spend some time doing something you're passionate about (singing sounds great). It sounds trite and pedantic, but it's the truth: just excel in your schoolwork. If you're not athletically gifted, there's nothing you can do about that now. The fact that you got into a top 10 undergrad means you're smart enough to get into a good med school. You just have to want it and put in the work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just going to list some of my concerns and if you have any advice, I would be all ears :^)
  1. I am thinking of studying Applied Mathematics with a focus on Biology or Public Health. Would this set me up well for Public Health work, or should I shoot for something more like sociology?
    • My school doesn't offer a public health major. I'm much more interested in the social aspects of medicine, but I just don't think I would pay as much attention in a social science based classes. I also love doing mathematics, and feel like this passion will carry me further.
Being set up for PH has less to do with your major and more to do with the classes you take and ECs/research you engage in. Applied mathematics is fine, but your GPA has to be your #1 priority. I would not expect schools to cut your GPA any slack because your major is in mathematics.
  1. I have been involved in different (both health and non health) public service activities. For the caliber of school I'm shooting for, is earning leadership in these activities enough? Or should I be aiming to create some program of my own?
You're trying to aim for one of the most competitive medical schools in the country. There isn't anything you can do that will guarantee an admission to that program, all you can do is put together a competitive application with well rounded ECs. Leadership is nice but it matters much more the substance of what you do and what you take away from the experience than an official title. It is not necessary to start your own program. It is necessary to engage in multiple activities for a sustained period of time, especially those that you put you outside your comfort zone.
  1. In high school, I was a really accomplished classical vocalist. This year in college, I didn't do much singing. I want to join a 'fun' club next year, but I'm wondering if I should be thinking about joining something I can be distinguished in? For example, I'm not in any athletics, musical groups, etc... I could join a choir or also have been thinking about joining a latin dance group. Any advice on developing personal talents, that could also be used to make you stand out for med. school? I'm just worried I won't stand out among peers who are violinists, D1 athletes, etc...
Don't worry about comparing yourself to D1 athletes. You aren't a D1 athlete and won't become one in the next year. Music, choice, acapella, dance, all are fine activities to engage in. It will help round you out as a person but it won't make or break an application to medical school. I highly encourage you NOT to look at every activity through the lens of "will this enhance my application to medical school." This leads to a lot of very cookie cutter experiences that many folks don't enjoy. There are some common things you will need like clinical and non clinical volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. But try to find things you enjoy.
  1. For someone interested in MD/MPH dual degree programs, any advise on what type of activities or accomplishments I should be aiming for during undergrad.?
Your first priority should be developing a strong application for medical school. You can always pursue an MPH after earning your MD. That means strong grades and MCAT scores. Research and community engagement are important. Awards and achievements definitely help.
  1. Any advise on how to get into a school as competitive as UCSF?
A high GPA and MCAT will open the door but it won't be sufficient to get to the A. UCSF has the ability to be selective and pick top tier applicants who will offer something unique to their class in pursuit of their mission. You should focus on doing well in your classes, for now, and starting to build *some* ECs.

You should also keep in mind that 50,000 people apply to medical school each year for which there are only 20,000 spots. Roughly 60% of applicants in any given year are not accepted to medical school. Half of all medical school students (10k) receive a single offer of admission. The average number of schools applicants apply to is roughly 15. I understand UCSF is your dream school, and you should shoot for it, but with medical school admissions being as tough as they are, I generally don't recommend placing too much stock in one specific school. Focus on the things you can control for now: grades, ECs, enjoying the activities you do so that when you are asked about them you can speak about them genuinely. Good luck!

Just gonna toss in a little advice about fitting in service activities...do it a little at a time over the course of your UG career, in something you’re really passionate about. ~5 hours once a week adds up quickly over 4 years, your consistency will lead to leadership opportunities, and the longevity of your commitment will look mature to adcoms.

Reactions: 3 users
your consistency will lead to leadership opportunities, and the longevity of your commitment will look mature to adcoms.

So true. A lengthy commitment looks better than a quick hit, "check this box" event.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand the “I need to stand out” mentality for top schools. But the first thing that will stand out is your GPA. That is #1. But I assume you know this and you’re going to be gearing up for year 2.

It seems to me your mentality for being at school right now is all focused on getting into medical school. While that is a very important priority to have, it shouldn’t be your only one. I’d also try focusing on how to have as much fun without sacrificing yourself or your GPA. Do something outside of medicine and the classroom without having the thought of “how will this give me a leg up in medical school admissions?” I didn’t realize this til junior year of college and when my mentality shifted, my college experience became greatly more appreciable and enjoyable. Hell, there were some activities I did that I couldn’t fit into my AMCAS.

Concerning the MPH, there are official programs, like UCSF, that you specifically apply to; and programs that you’ll only apply to the MD program, where you will then apply for the MPH (like my school.) I cannot really talk about the former (never had a desire for an MPH, much less apply to a program) but I can speak on the latter. You cannot bank on getting into a top 10/25 program, even with a 4.0 and a 528. So if you have to attend another program than UCSF, look into what they can offer you in terms of dual degree programs. My school gives you great freedom as to what you can do with your educational pursuits beyond MD. And I’m attending a state school this fall.

I think given your URM status, having 3.7+ and 516+ will open many doors to top 20 schools. You should do some extracurricular community activities highlighting your sense of social identity.