Stressed !! Dentist Still Not Submitted Letter.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsc1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone

I thought I'd ask for some advice on this issue that I'm having with my loe. I had asked my dentist that I shadowed if he could write my letter and he said he would write me a really good one at the end of May. After a month, I'd visited my dentist if he tried submitting and he smiled and he would do it that week. After a few weeks I'd sent him an email if he tried submitting it and he said he'd do it that weekend and it's stiill not submitted yet!!!!!! I've sent him another email a week after but he said he was busy and he would do it that week but he didn't. He told me he'd written one already and was gonna submit it soon but I doubt if he'd even written one.
I'm getting stressed out because rest of my application was complete by beginning of July but this letter is still not there!!
Should I ask another dentist to write one and MAIL it individually to all schools that require one? I was thinking this would take too long..because I heard schools take about several weeks to process mailed letters.
I'm tired of asking my dentist if he did write one and beginning to think maybe he doesn't like to hear it anymore and write a bad letter ..

Should I just wait? Wouldnt it be too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Try calling and talking to him in person. Do you have another dentist that could do it? It might take too long for another one to write a letter. My dentist was the same way. It dragged on for forever but I just kept on nagging him through emails and such. He finally finished it a few days ago I think but it hasn't even gotten to aadsas yet. =( So I know how you feel. Good luck!!

As a professional I think you should assist an aspiring student whenever asked to do so. I guess some fools slip through the cracks.

Anyway, I think you still have time to shadow another dentist. If you can spare a week, than shadow a dentist for a week and tell him/her that you already applied and would greatly appreciate his assistance by writing a letter of recommendation on your behalf.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a professional I think you should assist an aspiring student whenever asked to do so. I guess some fools slip through the cracks.

The professional in question does a favor to a prospective applicant by allowing him to shadow. He is then "required" to write and lor and finally becomes a "fool" when he does not do it in a "timely" manner. Maybe he is just trying to avoid another "fool" from "slipping through the cracks".

Last edited:

Anyway, I think you still have time to shadow another dentist. If you can spare a week, than shadow a dentist for a week and tell him/her that you already applied and would greatly appreciate his assistance by writing a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
Ignorance at its finest.

Ask him about the letter. Some individuals just need to be reminded.

Is it an electronic LOR? My dentist thought he had submitted it when in fact he had uploaded it without clicking submit. Can you just go visit him in person (e.g. when you are shadowing) and just mention it then? I know that if I leave messages for my dentists to call me back it never happens because they get sidetracked with patients and office stuff. If you are there it might be more effective b/c then you could just say something like "hey dr. xyz did you upload the letter yet? Did you get the link in your email?" (That is what I did when my dentist was already in his office checking something between patients) that way it's just a gentle reminder when they are already at the desk and can do it then and there.

I had this situation with one of my professors. He said he would write it and I knew he would but he had so much going on I just let him know that I would be following up again so I didnt feel bad about asking him every week. After he wrote it it took him 2 weeks to walk across the hall and give it to the comittee. Its not because he didnt want to it was just because he was so busy and forgot. I did what you did several times. Asked and he said he would do it after an hour or other activity but never did. So I asked him again and he said he would do it in the morning. On the light side I just said I would shoot him an e-mail as a reminder in the morning and if he could e-mail back when it was submitted that would be great. Moral of the story 6-7 trys later/ friendliness, patients and a little creativity will get your letter to AADSAS. :)

Ignorance at its finest.

Ask him about the letter. Some individuals just need to be reminded.

Take the time to read the OP's post more carefully, heck actually read it first. He/she has reminded the dentist time and time again about the letter.

The professional in question does a favor to a prospective applicant by allowing him to shadow. He is then "required" to write and lor and finally becomes a "fool" when he does not do it in a "timely" manner. Maybe he is just trying to avoid another "fool" from "slipping through the cracks".

.Not required but AGREED. If you agree to do something, it is expect of you to carry out your end of the deal. If you do not have the time or energy then simply say NO from the start. .

Last edited:

.Not required but AGREED. If you agree to do something, it is expect of you to carry out your end of the deal. If you do not have the time or energy then simply say NO from the start. .

Sometimes we need to be able to take a hint without relying on the code words like NO.

[FONT="]Not required but AGREED. If you agree to do something, it is expect of you to carry out your end of the deal. If you do not have the time or energy then simply say NO from the start. .

Sometimes we need to be able to take a hint without relying on the word NO.

.I'll agree with you on that one. Although this is a very poor way of rejecting someone; he is simply misleading the applicant. ..Hsc, I suggest you stop dilly dallying with this guy and get another dentist to shadow. If he comes through, great; if not you'll have a back up. .

Take the time to read the OP's post more carefully, heck actually read it first. He/she has reminded the dentist time and time again about the letter.

Has the OP confronted in person? This is why one doesn't put all the eggs in one basket.

I sent him another email this morning just reminding him of the importance of his letter and he simply replied with one word: " o. k. ..." without writing any further.

I have shadowed another dentist for a brief time he said he would be happy to write it. but they know each other and I was thinking if I ask this dentist the other one would find out about it and it wouldnt feel that great.. anyway I find that some schools won't even accept mailed letters and it would take another month to process it. But I guess I should just let him write it now in case this lazy dentist never writes it

I sent him another email this morning just reminding him of the importance of his letter and he simply replied with one word: " o. k. ..." without writing any further.

Read doc toothache's last post.

but they know each other and I was thinking if I ask this dentist the other one would find out about it and it wouldnt feel that great..

It is not that big of a deal. Don't worry you don't mean much to the dentist in question anyways.

i am also waiting for my dentist to submit their letter (although mine hasn't even been two weeks yet). i wanted to ask if any of you knew how that affects AADSAS. i got an email from AADSAS on Monday that said my application is complete and verified. if they don't receive my dentist's letter, will my app get mailed to schools anyways (missing that letter), or will they delay the mail-out until that letter is submitted?

if HSC or someone else who had a similar situation with your dentist letter being the last part of your application could fill me in, i'd really appreciate it.

I know what you're going through. I filled in the AADSAS application a few days after it became available and I sent e-mails to the teachers who were going to write LOEs for me. One of the teachers did it about 2 weeks after they got the e-mail but the other two haven't sent in anything yet (and one of them wrote one for me last year so I'd HOPE he kept it :p).

AADSAS does not delay mailing out your application for missing letters. however, schools would still be getting incomplete materials