stressed out, need critique on current study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXpredent

Always confused
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll,

I'm stressing out a little bit with my May 13th DAT drawing closer. I really need some experienced DAT studiers/takers to give me some advice about my schedule to make sure it's going to be enough and if I'm missing any details. Here's my study schedule I created as of last week, I've started studying a few weeks back though but didn't have a good schedule laid out until now. By Week 2, I'll have finished all of Chad's Gen Chem and O. Chem videos. Don't think I did it in 2 weeks though lol, I started on them a few weeks back.

Also, I'm in a Kaplan course right now (totally useless btw, wish I had discovered this site earlier) and it's wrapping up next week (week 3). The good thing is it does have a decent Bio section and it serves as an okay review of some stuff I've learned from Chad's videos. The extra practice material is probably not as hard as the DAT but I'm using it as a warm up to get basic concepts out of the way prior to destroying my brain with the Destroyer and DAT Achiever. I'm not sure how long the Destroyer will take me to go through so the last few weeks is going to be subject to change.

Do you guys recommend doing the Achiever and then going over the answers all in the same day? I'm afraid my brain would explode with a full length, extra hard DAT and then going over the wrong answers (which probably would be quite a bit lol).

Week 1 (3/11-3/17) (DONE)
Finish Chad's O. Chem Videos
O. Chem Workshops

Week 2 (3/18-3/24)
Finish Chad's Gen. Chem (one more section) and QR videos (approx. 5 hours of video, could take me 2-3 days) (DONE)
Skim Gen. Chem and O. Chem chapters in Kaplan textbook (and do associated end of chapter quizzes) (IN PROGRESS)
Make notecards over Gen. Chem and O. Chem (IN PROGRESS)
O. Chem and Gen. Chem Workshops

Week 3 (3/25-3/31)
Read Cliff's AP Bio and Kaplan Bio Chapters as needed
Biology Kaplan "Workshops" (Ecology, Taxonomy, Body systems, etc.)
Print out Alan's Notes (double spaced) and add notes to it!
--------------------------------
Week 4 (4/1-4/7)
Catch up week. (Try to Start on Week 5 Early)

Week 5 (4/8-4/14) Intro to Hell Week
Kaplan Section tests and Practice Questions
- QR, RC
Kaplan Section tests and Practice Questions
- Gen Chem, O Chem, Biology, PAT (sprinkled)
2 Full Length Kaplan Tests (timed)
- Make notecards of the questions I got wrong.

Week 6 (4/15-4/21)
Start DAT Destroyer and CDP

Week 7 (4/22-4/28)
DAT Destroyer and CDP

Week 8 ( 4/29-5/5)
DAT Destroyer and CDP

Week 9 (5/6-5/12) - DAT = 5/13
DAT Destroyer and CDP
Study Kaplan and my own notecards
DAT Achiever (take tests a few days leading up to DAT)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You've got a good schedule keep up the good work. I never used Achiever so I can't comment on it, but I did use Crack PAT, Topscore, Destroyer, and Kaplan subject tests. In general your schedule is solid, but it might help your brain to study multiple subjects in a day the closer you get to your test date. Keeping every subject fresh is key. That being said, don't wait to start PAT. Crack PAT is bad*** and you can kill it if you start early. The more you do, the easier it is. Even if you only do 1 PAT subject test a day, it'll break up the monotony of the hard sciences and keep you sane.

Destroyer: ochm and chm questions typically more difficult than you'll see on DAT, but great gauge for how well you understand the foundations of ochem and chm. Loved their QR section, same difficulty as the real thing.

Kaplan sub tests: awesome, very useful. Completed a sub test as I reviewed each subject. Memorized every question.

Cliff's Bio: awesome. I read the entire book every other day and knew the book backwards and forwards by my test. I wasn't a science major so I started from scratch.

Also, order ADA's official paid practice DAT. Take that a few weeks before your test, and it'll tell you where you stand. If you're not hitting on all cylinders, reschedule that sucker. This might help too: list of breakdowns of DAT scores 21+http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=719712.

Remember, it's all about how badly you want it. The guy who gets a 28AA is someone who studied his/her butt off

Last edited:
thanks, i appreciate the advice! If I only get the 10 practice test edition of CDP, will it last me long enough practice if I start this early? I may just go ahead and start doing the Kaplan PAT practice questions and save the CDP for later when I've got a better grasp.

My logic for my schedule was to get all the "learning" out of the way first and make some solid notes and the move onto easier practice to review everything i've learned, then move onto the hard stuff to get good at everything. Although what I'm noticing is I'm having trouble retaining Gen. Chem for example because I studied that first, I'm sure reviewing the notes with some practice problems will bring it right back though.

I'll definitely look into the ADA's practice DATs, It'll be perfect for timing too! Thanks!

EDIT: I've been looking for the ADA practice DATs but I can't seem to find them. Where can I find them? I've googled different combinations of words and it only seems to pull up directions or info for the DAT and not to purchase practice DATs.

Last edited:
I hear ya. Yea do your learning first and then start recycling multiple subjects each day. Doing the Kaplan subject tests while your studying helps. Some of the questions from the Kaplan are identical to the real dat.

Here's the paid test. Check halfway down under 'Test Preparation Material' http://www.ada.org/dat.aspx

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the same boat basically using the same material. I was wondering are you taking classes too?

Actually, I graduated in December so luckily I have more time to study. Although, studying at my parents' house is proving to be extremely unproductive. However, the internet is better here though and I need solid speeds to finish Chad's videos. I can't wait to be done with the videos so I can study at the local library (their internet is TERRIBLE).

Looks good. the 10 test CDP is plenty. You can probably run through it 2 times without noticing the questions. Also you can always use the randomize to make new looking tests.

All in all it is pretty interesting and definitely enough practice. I'd recommend getting CDP done and out of the way before starting the practice tests. I actually finished CDP and CDR before starting Topscore and Achiever. Achiever offers plenty of PAT practice too!

So does anyone know if the Math Destroyer is worth getting? Is the math section that comes with the DAT destroyer sufficient?

Also, when yall were studying, I know a couple of you have mentioned that yall studied all the different subjects a little each day. That makes sense to keep each of the subjects fresh on your mind, I'll probably do that starting week 5 when I'm doing practice questions. Do yall recommending still using my notes to answer the questions at that point?

You're so on top of things! I think you'll be fine. :)

I only did one test on the math destroyer. I felt that it's very similar to the destroyer math section, so I didn't bother finishing the rest. But I haven't taken the DAT yet, so I can't tell you if just doing the destroyer is sufficient. (Now I think about it, maybe I should go back and finish the math destroyer...)

You're so on top of things! I think you'll be fine. :)

I only did one test on the math destroyer. I felt that it's very similar to the destroyer math section, so I didn't bother finishing the rest. But I haven't taken the DAT yet, so I can't tell you if just doing the destroyer is sufficient. (Now I think about it, maybe I should go back and finish the math destroyer...)

How long is it taking you to get through the Destroyer? Did I save myself enough time?

For chads, did you just pay $40 for a month? did you have to pay separately for the quizzes?

I'm working on the destroyer right now too :)

Hey TXpredent,
I just finished DAT today! Yeah, definitely do the math destroyer... Even if destroyer itself is sufficient, practice wouldn't hurt. :p
I did the orgo portion of destroyer at about 15 questions an hour. It took me well over three weeks, but that was near the end of the term so I was studying for finals at the same time. Bio and gen chem both took me something like 1 or 2 days (12hr/day). I hope that helps. :)

For chads, did you just pay $40 for a month? did you have to pay separately for the quizzes?

I'm working on the destroyer right now too :)

I just went ahead and bought the DAT package for 90 days.

fuqele, unfortunately I just ordered the Destroyer... without the Math Destroyer! Would you mind selling it to me for a good price now that you're done :)

thanks! I've fallen a little behind though and have made a slight adjustment. I've started the Kaplan section tests already on O. Chem, Gen. Chem, and Bio. In hopes that I can finish that week early and start on the Destroyer even earlier. I should have finished my Bio studying this week but I'm not even close. I'll be taking care of that during the "catch up" week. Thanks so much for yalls input!