Stressed out Undergrad/prepharm...how did you pull through it?

Mar 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'm just finishing up my second year of Biochemistry and I have a decent GPA and stats but I feel like I am burning out and it could go downhill (that wouldn't look good to the admissions :scared:) How do you keep motivating yourself and not feeling paranoid about circumstances like never getting accepted to pharmacy school?

I'm only asking this because this is what i've wanted to do forever and school is a major part of my life (as I'm sure it is for some of you)...does anybody have a success story?

kmoogs

NEVERMIND I FOUND IT
Jan 10, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just. Do. It. Any pre-pharm curriculum/requirements is 1000x easier than what many other students take. Study hard, set goals, and finish strong.

pharm B

Phar Noir
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
You just have to know that the current stress factor's will pass. If it's not just a test or two, then know that the semester will eventually end.

It's all about keeping your eye on the prize and not allowing yourself to succumb to an "oh poor me" attitude.

phathead

Future World Drug Lord
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Sheer will. There were many times I wanted to give up and just crash, and to a certain point I did once, but you can't give up on your dream.

You'll find ways to pull through if its what you truly want to do. Its amazing what determination can do for you.

Monalyce

PharmD-to-be in 2013!
10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Pharmacy Student
Find things that make you happy!

For me, spending time with kids was what got me through. Luckily that counted as volunteer work :)

Schedule time to do fun things every week, even if they are small (getting coffee with a friend, for instance). It'll give you something to look forward to and force you to budget your time around that.

Don't focus on the what ifs. Remember, that if this is what you want, you WILL find a way.

Nov 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
You've worked entirely too hard to throw it all away now. Would you really want to have worked so hard to barely miss your goal? Just take it one day at a time, and keep in mind that, like all other awful things in life, this will end. However, you should know your breaking points...figure out when you need to put the books down and do something fun. And if it doesn't work out, you have your entire life to go back to pharmacy school. Sometimes it takes a little bit longer to accomplish goals.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Working out. A good thirty minutes on the rowing machine and you'll feel better. I assure you, it is the best stress reliever at the gym. The more pissed off/stressed you are, the faster you row. You can feel the aggression pouring out of you :) :) when you're done, you feel like jello and want to lay down and take a nap

EDIT: exercise gives you the ability to concentrate and stay focused a lot longer

Pancakesteve

5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
Working out. A good thirty minutes on the rowing machine and you'll feel better. I assure you, it is the best stress reliever at the gym. The more pissed off/stressed you are, the faster you row. You can feel the aggression pouring out of you :) :) when you're done, you feel like jello and want to lay down and take a nap

EDIT: exercise gives you the ability to concentrate and stay focused a lot longer
I concur. When I'm feeling stressed out, I just throw on the headphones, and go for a run while blasting some metal. :D

And as said above, there is a strong correlation between mental/cognitive ability and exercise.

phathead

Future World Drug Lord
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I concur. When I'm feeling stressed out, I just throw on the headphones, and go for a run while blasting some metal. :D

And as said above, there is a strong correlation between mental/cognitive ability and exercise.
Lamb of God got me through Biochem lol

I also take a decent amount of breaks when I'm studying. For every hour or so I give myself 10-15 min to dick around. Whether that's picking up the PSP and playing a quick game or killing time on FB.

Jan 22, 2010
Status
Yea just study for 1 or 2 hours then take a break and do something. Its proven that studying for long periods of time isn't good for learning. If you start breaking down now then you should rethink if this is really for you because when you get into pharmacy school its only going to be worse and you dont want to work so hard to get there and burn out