MD stressed out, what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamseeker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
So I had an extremely rough first 2 years of university (I'm a Canadian citizen studying in Canada). and I did my bachelors of bio sience in 5 years. First year, first semester i had four Ws and a C+, SO i was considered as part time, second semester 3 Fs, second year mostly Fs again. So my second year GPA was 0.45. I had a turnaround however. 3rd year, 4th year and 5th year with a gap of 4, MCAT score of 37. 3 years hospital work, more than 2000 hours of volunteer work, great letter of references. Now I know some universities calculate all full year studies' gpa, however I've heard some consider last 3rd year, like ottawa, last 2 year, like queens, and worst year dropped like some others, however I am willing to consider states as well so with all that being said what universities do you think i should apply for in America?
please help out, I can't even sleep anymore.

my 3rd, 4th, and 5th year was 4.00 GPA, my MCAT breakdown: VR 12 PS 12 and BS 13

Members don't see this ad.

Most of them will calculate all of your GPAs from all four years however with your MCAT being so high you most likely won't get screened out and you'll be able to explain your grades from your first two years. Also a lot of schools reward reinvention. Others are way more qualified then me to give you a school list so I'll leave that to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply to Canada. I think you would do well.

By my very rough calculation you have say a 3.2 overall GPA. As a US Citizen with the trend you have and your MCAT you would be competitive. As a Canadian it'll be very tough. If you are interested in the DO route I do think you would find interest from those schools however.