stresses of retail vs. hospital pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rleung3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have heard that retail pharmacy is a really stressful field. What do you guys think? If yes, what are the sources of stress? Is it mainly that the pharmacy is understaffed at most times, so the pharmacist has a million things to do by oneself in a short amount of time? How does hospital pharmacy compare?

My second question is whether retail pharmacy allows you to utilize the knowledge you gain in pharmacy school. I have heard some complaints that retail pharmacy is mainly trying to see how many presciptions you can process in a given amount of time rather than using the medical and drug knowledge you spent 4 years learning. Is hospital pharmacy different?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a lot of time to elaborate because I have an exam tommorow, but i'll comment on the "retail stress".

Retail pharmacy is a multi-factorial beast; but the biggest factor in determining whether you get stressed and feeling overwhelmed is your personality. If you're a relaxed, calm person who doesn't get freaked out by people waiting it'll be much easier for you. If you begin to feel a lot of pressure and start feeling overwhelmed then that's the point where it gets sticky.

I had a really good opportunity to watch this happen as I worked in a pharmacy this summer with two pharmacists, with nearly polar opposite personality types. The relaxed, type B personality would just crack a joke to the waiting patients, tell them (and be honest) about their wait time but would never rush or feel pressured. He simply worked at his pace whether there was 1 rx, or 10 + 3 phone calls.

The other pharmacist (who dropped out of med school btw) would get immediately flustered and her face would turn red as people began to pile up and the phone would keep ringing. She'd try to rush, and in turn make the situation worse so it was a bad cascade.

If a patient sees a relaxed, confident person versus someone who is flustered and overreacting their reaction will be very different. I never saw one person ever get mad at the relaxed guy, but people were annoyed with the wait when dealing with the other RPh.

The stress comes from having to do to much at once, it often comes in bursts. You have phone calls (from pts.), Dr.'s calling, patients wanting OTC advice + 5 scripts lined up and a compound to do. Other people will elaborate i'm sure.

My second question is whether retail pharmacy allows you to utilize the knowledge you gain in pharmacy school. I have heard some complaints that retail pharmacy is mainly trying to see how many presciptions you can process in a given amount of time rather than using the medical and drug knowledge you spent 4 years learning. Is hospital pharmacy different?

Thanks.

Yes, you use your knowledge from school. People are on lots of meds and there are many drug interactions. The computer will flag some, but you need to know which are relevant or not. The problem is trying to get the MD on the phone to change a med.

Patients will ask you about taking OTC's and herbals and how will those affect their existing meds. I've helped people make choices on their meds. Not everyone can afford all their prescriptions. I can help them choose between ones that will keep them alive vs something for heartburn.

In hospital, you look at reports. You do more things like kinetics and renal dosing. You rarely see patients. Most of the time you are doing data entry at a computer, reading in the scanned images of doctor's orders. If you see an interaction, you notify the MD. You can normally reach them right away.

I've seen people stressed out in both retail and hospital. You can get a massive amount of orders in the hospital, too. The nurses keep phoning and saying "where's my med for patient xxx". There might be 50 orders in the queue to be typed and you haven't even gotten to that order, yet.

In retail, the techs have a more stressful job. The patients generally complain to the techs, not the pharmacist. You can lose a lot of time from the telephone. Many people call and ask to speak to the pharmacist, when they could have just spoken to a tech. They'll give you a list of meds that they want refilled, where a tech could have handled that. In the meantime, you've gotten behind in verifiying orders.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question & one I'll come back to respond to...but right now - I'm suffering from the worst case of the flu I've had in years (go figure - I gave about 1000 flu shots this year!!!)

When I can keep my head up for more than 5 minutes without it pounding off my neck...I'll get back to you since I do both - the stresses indeed are different (but I'd gladly take either over being sick!) - and on my weekend off:( !

Good question & one I'll come back to respond to...but right now - I'm suffering from the worst case of the flu I've had in years (go figure - I gave about 1000 flu shots this year!!!)

When I can keep my head up for more than 5 minutes without it pounding off my neck...I'll get back to you since I do both - the stresses indeed are different (but I'd gladly take either over being sick!) - and on my weekend off:( !

Get well soon. I don't have the flu but I have a nasty cold... little chill, HA, nasal congestion, cough. Virus sux.

Get well soon. I don't have the flu but I have a nasty cold... little chill, HA, nasal congestion, cough. Virus sux.

i'm sure most docs would be happy to prescribe you a zpack ;)

i think stress comes partly from the person within. Of course, impatient patients, those that want you to show them where the ferrous sulfate is.. even though it's right in front of them... and insurances not wanting to cooperate might be stressful, but then again, it's how you handled it. Acknowledging a customer in line, asking nicely for people on the phone to hold, and apologizing will make your life way easier. Oh.. by the way, that's in retail....

I've heard that hospital pharmacists have to deal with cranky nurses.. blah blah where as in retail, you have to deal with cranky customers...

there are pros and cons in every field.... not one field is perfect!

Hi,

I have heard that retail pharmacy is a really stressful field. What do you guys think? If yes, what are the sources of stress? Is it mainly that the pharmacy is understaffed at most times, so the pharmacist has a million things to do by oneself in a short amount of time? How does hospital pharmacy compare?

Thanks.

So...now, I'm back. I think I've recovered,but I just feel I've been beat with a stick all over. I must have some great circulating antibiodies - thats one small consolation.

Now...to your question. Are there stresses & what are the souce of stresses?

Yes to both - there are stresses in both retail & hospital - they are just different. Within retail, which so many know, the stresses are to get that rx done so that woman with the wailing baby will go away. Or get the rx done so the man with his two elderly parents - none of which speak English & will walk more than 1 foot back will go away. Or the insurance issues - which crop up every January. Everyone says their plan didn't change...but it did - otherwise they wouldn't have sent you that card you say is laying on your diningroom table. Well...it doesn't help me there! My biggest stress was coming into a place who had a technician who had been working there for 8 years, had gone thru 2 pharmacists before me & actually "ran" the place. One night, about 5PM, while I'm trying to get a dose adjusted by the urgent care guy for a pedi on a Phenergan VC w/Cod (which is no longer made btw)...she is haranguing me about needed to go faster. After 6 months of this, I slammed the phone down & told her the ONLY thing I EVER needed to do EVER was fill any rx that I chose to fill CORRECTLY. I was not being directed by her, was listening to her, care what she thought nor would take anymore of her suggestions -so that was one stress I finally had enough of & stopped it. So, you get some of that too - personnel who pushes you into doing things at the speed you don't want.

Hospitals are an entirely different ballgame. You are understaffed there, probably there more than anywhere. There is also a heirarchy you have to get past. Those of us who get out on the units love it because we hate pyxis fills, but sometimes we get roped into those as well.

Hospital work has much more routine stuff - you are processing & filling the very same post-CABG pt drugs which become like all the others you did that week. Occassionally, you'll have something interesting - an unexpected result or reaction, renal or liver failure, requiring dosage changes, Depending on what services you have in your hospital, you may have a SNF or MHU - SNFs require tremendous amounts of paperwork - every little thing is reviewed & documented -then there is a meeting on it - it becomes cumbersome. MHU often have weekly drug reveiws -group therapy for pts who are close to discharge. These can be humerous since as often as not the pts are still too stoned to know what you're saying & they've been on this stuff before or worse....so it becomes like a game of tell me what you know & they start rattling off all sorts of street drug lingo - its a good source to keep up to date on how much Seroque is going for on the street.

Depending on the size....there are always personnel issues. There seems to be someone who feels someone else is not carrying their weight, or is working too many weekends, or nights or Tues or something. There is always a nefarous motive for everything it seems. You see the petty side of people really, really fast.

Technicians get really ticked off at pharmacists in hospitl setting since so much of our work is "sitting down". We go over lab reports, put the values in the computer & see if the projected dose is reasonable. Likewise, some units require drug reviews - just looking thru the charts for .... whatever. Technicians don't see that as "work" & get the perception that they do all the work. As a pharmacist, you have to let that go & not even get into that dialog. Likewise, in the retail setting,, unless you are coming in as a floater for 1 day, you must set the tone for the day. I will not have waiting rxs shoved at me. Since I'm there, I know what is gong on & I can set the tone for the day, not someone else. Personally, I never threaten anthother pharmacist with "this lady will get really mad if her stuff is not done on time", which is a mantra the techs love. I'm more likely to say,, this lady has a hard time waiting. That lets the pharmacist know, he/she needs to engage this lady a bit while giving out the medications & be willing to exchange some conversation.

Finally, as for your knowledge base....it changes, although those lines have blurred a bit. When you don't work with IV inotropes, you lose the immediate knowledge of their relative potencies, dosages, advantages, prices, etc...Likewise, as a hospital pharmacist, they lose site of the practicalities of what they are ordering - 12.5mg hctz is a very difficult thing to get if the pt has rheumatoid arthritis & has to cut a 25mg tablet. Yes, she may have adult children, but she may not be ready yet to give up that dignity of getting her own medicines. So, ordering the 12.5mg capsule/ altho a bit more expsensive, saves everyone's "face" so to speak.

I have always found ways to use my knowledge in both places & many times, knowledge is all I dispense. Patients come to me just to understand what they learned at the doctor.

So...good luck. I've done both in my career & wouldn't have done it any differently.

Reactions: 1 user
So...now, I'm back. I think I've recovered,but I just feel I've been beat with a stick all over. I must have some great circulating antibiodies - thats one small consolation.

Now...to your question. Are there stresses & what are the souce of stresses?

Yes to both - there are stresses in both retail & hospital - they are just different. Within retail, which so many know, the stresses are to get that rx done so that woman with the wailing baby will go away. Or get the rx done so the man with his two elderly parents - none of which speak English & will walk more than 1 foot back will go away. Or the insurance issues - which crop up every January. Everyone says their plan didn't change...but it did - otherwise they wouldn't have sent you that card you say is laying on your diningroom table. Well...it doesn't help me there! My biggest stress was coming into a place who had a technician who had been working there for 8 years, had gone thru 2 pharmacists before me & actually "ran" the place. One night, about 5PM, while I'm trying to get a dose adjusted by the urgent care guy for a pedi on a Phenergan VC w/Cod (which is no longer made btw)...she is haranguing me about needed to go faster. After 6 months of this, I slammed the phone down & told her the ONLY thing I EVER needed to do EVER was fill any rx that I chose to fill CORRECTLY. I was not being directed by her, was listening to her, care what she thought nor would take anymore of her suggestions -so that was one stress I finally had enough of & stopped it. So, you get some of that too - personnel who pushes you into doing things at the speed you don't want.

Hospitals are an entirely different ballgame. You are understaffed there, probably there more than anywhere. There is also a heirarchy you have to get past. Those of us who get out on the units love it because we hate pyxis fills, but sometimes we get roped into those as well.

Hospital work has much more routine stuff - you are processing & filling the very same post-CABG pt drugs which become like all the others you did that week. Occassionally, you'll have something interesting - an unexpected result or reaction, renal or liver failure, requiring dosage changes, Depending on what services you have in your hospital, you may have a SNF or MHU - SNFs require tremendous amounts of paperwork - every little thing is reviewed & documented -then there is a meeting on it - it becomes cumbersome. MHU often have weekly drug reveiws -group therapy for pts who are close to discharge. These can be humerous since as often as not the pts are still too stoned to know what you're saying & they've been on this stuff before or worse....so it becomes like a game of tell me what you know & they start rattling off all sorts of street drug lingo - its a good source to keep up to date on how much Seroque is going for on the street.

Depending on the size....there are always personnel issues. There seems to be someone who feels someone else is not carrying their weight, or is working too many weekends, or nights or Tues or something. There is always a nefarous motive for everything it seems. You see the petty side of people really, really fast.

Technicians get really ticked off at pharmacists in hospitl setting since so much of our work is "sitting down". We go over lab reports, put the values in the computer & see if the projected dose is reasonable. Likewise, some units require drug reviews - just looking thru the charts for .... whatever. Technicians don't see that as "work" & get the perception that they do all the work. As a pharmacist, you have to let that go & not even get into that dialog. Likewise, in the retail setting,, unless you are coming in as a floater for 1 day, you must set the tone for the day. I will not have waiting rxs shoved at me. Since I'm there, I know what is gong on & I can set the tone for the day, not someone else. Personally, I never threaten anthother pharmacist with "this lady will get really mad if her stuff is not done on time", which is a mantra the techs love. I'm more likely to say,, this lady has a hard time waiting. That lets the pharmacist know, he/she needs to engage this lady a bit while giving out the medications & be willing to exchange some conversation.

Finally, as for your knowledge base....it changes, although those lines have blurred a bit. When you don't work with IV inotropes, you lose the immediate knowledge of their relative potencies, dosages, advantages, prices, etc...Likewise, as a hospital pharmacist, they lose site of the practicalities of what they are ordering - 12.5mg hctz is a very difficult thing to get if the pt has rheumatoid arthritis & has to cut a 25mg tablet. Yes, she may have adult children, but she may not be ready yet to give up that dignity of getting her own medicines. So, ordering the 12.5mg capsule/ altho a bit more expsensive, saves everyone's "face" so to speak.

I have always found ways to use my knowledge in both places & many times, knowledge is all I dispense. Patients come to me just to understand what they learned at the doctor.

So...good luck. I've done both in my career & wouldn't have done it any differently.

Thank God...I can speed read...

maybe your head still hurts....go take some ibuprofen & put your feet up!

Thank you for reminding me. It's actually been 6 hours since I took Tylenol. So it's time for my 400mg Ibuprofen. I feel the fever and chill coming on.

One con in retail vs hospital is pts trying to fill contolled drugs early or try to get you to fill fake rx's. You will get all kinds of strange stories about why the fill is early. Hospital doesn't deal w/this.

One con in retail vs hospital is pts trying to fill contolled drugs early or try to get you to fill fake rx's. You will get all kinds of strange stories about why the fill is early. Hospital doesn't deal w/this.
No...we just get nurses who sign out vicodin or percocet but never put it on the MAR:(

Then...we have to track that mess down! Talk about stories!

No...we just get nurses who sign out vicodin or percocet but never put it on the MAR:(

That's why we use E-Mar and BarCode Scan where if it's not scanned, it records it as medication not given. This is considered as a medication error.

That's why we use E-Mar and BarCode Scan where if it's not scanned, it records it as medication not given. This is considered as a medication error.

.....with....yet another story as to where it went....:sleep:

i think stress comes partly from the person within. Of course, impatient patients, those that want you to show them where the ferrous sulfate is.. even though it's right in front of them... and insurances not wanting to cooperate might be stressful, but then again, it's how you handled it. Acknowledging a customer in line, asking nicely for people on the phone to hold, and apologizing will make your life way easier. Oh.. by the way, that's in retail....

I've heard that hospital pharmacists have to deal with cranky nurses.. blah blah where as in retail, you have to deal with cranky customers...

there are pros and cons in every field.... not one field is perfect!

there is a huge difference between retail customers and nurses. A customer can say "@#$% you" and basically you can't do anything, whereas a nurse can't say that, or she/he will be in trouble, or you can say the same back. By the way, I used to be a nurse and a lot of nurses were complaining of cranky pharmacists, so...

My biggest stress was coming into a place who had a technician who had been working there for 8 years, had gone thru 2 pharmacists before me & actually "ran" the place.

Word, SDN1977, Word! I'm just an intern PHARMACIST (> 1 year experience) but on one of the days when we had a FLOATER pharmacist I had this one TECH who says to me "I've been w/ WM for 6 years. When I started, NOBODY had time to train me so I had to learn all on my own and I started off by taking good notes in my little notebook. Those other 2 good techs you worked with, you remember them? I trained them from scratch and they all learned from my notes." (very modest tech!!) And then during the peak of hte day when we had a zillion customers waiting, she had the nerve to pick a fight with me every 10 minutes ("my way is faster""you could've asked me" [uh, you had a zilion customers handing you scripts, and I am perfectly capable of solving problems...btw, it later turns out my way is equally as fast as hers, grr). That day, I was really feeling very ill and did not want to argue back so after each argument she started, I would REPEATEDLY say "I'm not going to argue with you. I am feeling very sick today. We have a lot of work to do with a ton of customers waiting. Please, I want to be efficient here." You'd think she (who, is by the way 10 yrs older and is a MOM w/ TWO teenage kids!!!!!) would be mature and end there, right? Nope, she insisted on fighting back & yellat me some more and give me that "disgusted" body language. Now, we all know the hierachy--DM > pharmacists > intern pharmacists > techs > intern techs and I never rub this in because I have always worked with excellent techs but god d*mn it, unless I (the intern pharmacist) do something blatantly wrong (give out the wrong med, steal CII, perform an act via a method that is 1000x slower than her method, or some other horrible violation), this tech has no right to be pushing me around; I don't care if she's been here for 6 years or 26 years. I have been here for at least a year and though I may not know all the ins and outs because I am a part-time employee, I know (1) not to argue at the peak time of the day (2) raise my voice and yell at other people when there is a zillion people waiting (really bad publicity!) especially when the intern pharmacist did nothing wrong (3) everybody has their own way of solving things and just because my way is different from yours (but EQUALLY as fast) does not give you the right to breathe down my neck (4) how to offer suggestions more politely & (5) in terms of the hierarchial strucfture, respect your elderly (though I am younger :) ) The fact that she argued with me & raised her voice after I repeatedly told her I was not going to argue w/ her, I guess, does not come as a surprise since just 2 days before this, when a customer yelled at her, instead of acknowledging it was her mistake or speaking in a normal tone, she insisted on YELLING BACK (REALLY REALLY bad publicity, idiot!) on top of giving that disgusted body language (hands on hip) and yelling back at someone is never a good idea because it just provokes the mad person even more and what if the person she's yelling at is sick (like I was) as in s/he is old and suffering from heart failure and your yelling back caused him to have a fatal heart attack?? Ah, feels good to get that off of my chest. :)

I'm more likely to say,, this lady has a hard time waiting. That lets the pharmacist know, he/she needs to engage this lady a bit while giving out the medications & be willing to exchange some conversation.

I like that and will try to not only follow that but also reinforce that at my busy pharmacy the next time I am there. Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
gaba101,

I've worked with bad techs before. I just did my job and ignored them, knowing that one day I would come in as a pharmacist. Someday I'll be the pharmacy manager and give them their evaluations. I will remember how they treated me.

Technicians get really ticked off at pharmacists in hospitl setting since so much of our work is "sitting down". We go over lab reports, put the values in the computer & see if the projected dose is reasonable. Likewise, some units require drug reviews - just looking thru the charts for .... whatever. Technicians don't see that as "work" & get the perception that they do all the work. As a pharmacist, you have to let that go & not even get into that dialog.

pretty accurate.
At the pharmacy I work at, there is alot of tech fighting between shifts, got a couple who always need to go home "sick" or call in the day before or after their weekend off to get 3 days off. Techs think we are not working when at the computer and get pissed off they are doing everything. Sucks when they put the wrong med in the Pyxis cubie.

Pharmacists are nice to each others face. Got a couple who don't seem to follow procedure for a couple things (TPN order time cutoffs/non-formulary medication dispensing), so it makes it difficult for anyone else to enforce the policy. Pharmacists thinking they can get hired and immediately make threats about what schedule they will be working. Certain ones would rather surf the internet or check their email rather than enter orders.

Management - our "supervisor" was fresh out of pharmacy school w/MBA, never staffed a pharmacy, had no clue as to the workflow, personalities, how things actually worked, but he was "in charge" of pharmacists with 10+ yrs experience. Hired a couple eastern European techs who can barely speak English or pronounce drugs.

Nurses - want what they want NOW, regardless if there are 150+ orders in the queue and they just scanned it 2 minutes ago, and there are 148 orders ahead of them.

Being short staffed, so we are busy almost all of the time, rarely get time to take a break or lunch. Phone rings constantly and nurses ask for a pharmacist, when 75% of the time a tech could have helped them.

There is alot more, but my three week vacation is ending today :( and I have to go to work. At least I am off overnights!

Word, SDN1977, Word! I'm just an intern PHARMACIST (> 1 year experience) but on one of the days when we had a FLOATER pharmacist I had this one TECH who says to me "I've been w/ WM for 6 years. When I started, NOBODY had time to train me so I had to learn all on my own and I started off by taking good notes in my little notebook. Those other 2 good techs you worked with, you remember them? I trained them from scratch and they all learned from my notes." (very modest tech!!) And then during the peak of hte day when we had a zillion customers waiting, she had the nerve to pick a fight with me every 10 minutes ("my way is faster""you could've asked me" [uh, you had a zilion customers handing you scripts, and I am perfectly capable of solving problems...btw, it later turns out my way is equally as fast as hers, grr). That day, I was really feeling very ill and did not want to argue back so after each argument she started, I would REPEATEDLY say "I'm not going to argue with you. I am feeling very sick today. We have a lot of work to do with a ton of customers waiting. Please, I want to be efficient here." You'd think she (who, is by the way 10 yrs older and is a MOM w/ TWO teenage kids!!!!!) would be mature and end there, right? Nope, she insisted on fighting back & yellat me some more and give me that "disgusted" body language. Now, we all know the hierachy--DM > pharmacists > intern pharmacists > techs > intern techs and I never rub this in because I have always worked with excellent techs but god d*mn it, unless I (the intern pharmacist) do something blatantly wrong (give out the wrong med, steal CII, perform an act via a method that is 1000x slower than her method, or some other horrible violation), this tech has no right to be pushing me around; I don't care if she's been here for 6 years or 26 years. I have been here for at least a year and though I may not know all the ins and outs because I am a part-time employee, I know (1) not to argue at the peak time of the day (2) raise my voice and yell at other people when there is a zillion people waiting (really bad publicity!) especially when the intern pharmacist did nothing wrong (3) everybody has their own way of solving things and just because my way is different from yours (but EQUALLY as fast) does not give you the right to breathe down my neck (4) how to offer suggestions more politely & (5) in terms of the hierarchial strucfture, respect your elderly (though I am younger :) ) The fact that she argued with me & raised her voice after I repeatedly told her I was not going to argue w/ her, I guess, does not come as a surprise since just 2 days before this, when a customer yelled at her, instead of acknowledging it was her mistake or speaking in a normal tone, she insisted on YELLING BACK (REALLY REALLY bad publicity, idiot!) on top of giving that disgusted body language (hands on hip) and yelling back at someone is never a good idea because it just provokes the mad person even more and what if the person she's yelling at is sick (like I was) as in s/he is old and suffering from heart failure and your yelling back caused him to have a fatal heart attack?? Ah, feels good to get that off of my chest. :)

I like that and will try to not only follow that but also reinforce that at my busy pharmacy the next time I am there. Thanks :)

I was honestly gonna reply with "anyone who becomes a retail tech by choice is ******ed so all bets are off" but then it occured to me that I worked as a tech for 2 years. I'm not being sarcastic either.

I just have nurses who leave out half used vials of dilaudid/ativan, or who leave split ambiens and BZDs around the med rooms. BZDs aren't a big deal in retail, but in a hospital where anyone from RNs to janitors have access to the med rooms, you have to keep that stuff on lockdown. Which means I have to fill out more paperwork...

BTW what is SNF and MHU?

One big pro of hospital is there are no insurance problems in the pharmacy!

Sure, inpt pharmacy doesn't have insurance and angry pt's, but depending on where you work, pharmacy has to respond to codes. Most of it is ripping open and assembling epi/atropine abbojects, but mixing **** while nurses/residents are yelling at you to do it faster while the patient is flopping around during CPR and getting intubated isn't exactly the calmest setting. Of course, not an everyday event...

Nurses - want what they want NOW, regardless if there are 150+ orders in the queue and they just scanned it 2 minutes ago, and there are 148 orders ahead of them.

Being short staffed, so we are busy almost all of the time, rarely get time to take a break or lunch. Phone rings constantly and nurses ask for a pharmacist, when 75% of the time a tech could have helped them.

There is alot more, but my three week vacation is ending today :( and I have to go to work. At least I am off overnights!

I've been doing phone triage lately, and uh, yeah. The amount of "stat" stuff I have to put through starts becoming ridiculous. Lido jelly for foleys or tPa, I can understand. Abx that was ordered 3 hours ago and still hasn't arrived, sure, no problem. The pts inr is high and you need vitamin K, that's great, I can make it stat.

But then there's dumb **** you have to do regardless of how it's not that necessary, like stat tramadol or stat cepacol because the nurse didn't realize it's a PRN order and "the patient feels bad" and now it's my fault. And then there's the really dumb ****, such as stat chapstick. We seriously get orders like that.

As far as questions go....yeah. A nurse will be like "can i speak to a pharmacist?", despite the fact that questions are supposed to be paged to the pharmacist. I'll go "what do you need?" since I'm an intern and I can do this. The questions that result will either be something stupid a tech could do (oh, i need xxx med for this pt), bitching (i asked for a bag of bicarb and my patient is going to CT and i need it stat why isnt it here), or random ass questions that I feel uncomfortable answering/techs wouldn't be allowed to answer, like drug compatibility stuff.

For the record though, most of the regular staff nurses I talk to on a daily basis during the week are very nice and friendly and let me shamelessly flirt with them. Even if they have stupid questions, if it's in the name of med/patient safety, I don't mind at all...better to ask than be wrong, yanno?

The ones I absolutely hate with passion are RNs working evenings/weekends (more likely to complain, less likely to know what they're doing since theyre scut shifts), travelers/floaters who don't know anything, and whoever the RNs grab to call down for medications, similar to how doctors will have their "staff" call in prescriptions. I'll give credit to the ICUs, the secretary on those units usually have a list of things they need and generally speak english, like x pt needs amio, y pt needs a CZI drip and a bag of levo. But the other floors must be screwing with me by trying to find the person who speaks the least amount of english and knows nothing about what's in the pyxsis to call down for stuff.

Okay, I'm done bitching. The point is, hospitals can be whiny and annoying like patients are in retail...