Stressing OAT Reading! Actual vs Kaplan vs Achiever

neko82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone~

I'm taking the test in a week and I'm getting stressed out over the RC portion.

I did good on the Kaplan practice for RC (~380) but scored significantly lower on the Achiever (~280). I noticed that the RC questions from Kaplan were much more direct and simple than the Achiever. Either that or maybe because the Kaplan test was on paper.. I'm panicking and wondering what the actual RC is more similar to. :scared:

I've been trying the different methods, but I am always running of time. I've been reading random articles online too to try to improve my reading speed. :(

Any help or advices would be much appreciated! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I scored a 360 on RC on my OAT. I only took kaplan practice tests. I found the passages to be extremely easy and straight forward on my exam.

Inevitably, a bit of how you perform on the read-comprehension section of the O.A.T. will depend on the passages you happen to get. I was extremely interested in one of mine, but found the other to be a bit dull; it was easier for me to answer questions about the former, whereas, with the latter, I had to go back a few times to recover information that had slipped through me.

Reading (anything: books, magazine articles, etc.), I feel, is the best way to prepare for the portion. The thing is, people tend not to have the time, in the weeks leading to the exam, to sit around reading lots of material; understandably, most of their hours are spent reviewing science (and the remainder are devoted to mathematics/"quantitative reasoning").

I agree..

If the passages are boring.. you probably won't do very well.. If they are interesting.. You will do fine.

Thanks for the input! I've been practicing but still doing bad. I guess reading is just one of those things that you can't really study for. :(