Strict Dental School Lecturers/Faculty Members, Share your Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osahon7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever had any encounter with a stern lecturer in Dental school?? Share your experiences..

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the point? Either way they suck. Just do your best to get through dental school.

I worked with prosthodontist making a denture for a patient. The day of the final seat, I had to use another prosthodontist for the final check. He was Asian so had an accent. His quote was, "Your patient smoke?". My reply, "no". Then he says, "Why you make ash tray?" and tosses the denture onto the table. My patient was pissed. She grabs it and shoves it in her mouth and says, "Well I love it!". He kind of scribbles his ok and moves on. I'm sure there are a million of those out there.

Never had a real stern lecturer, but had one the repeated, "and you go ahead", over and over. We took a bet on how many times he would say it in an hour. 58 times. You gotta break up the stress of dental school with some humor or you'll never make it.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked with prosthodontist making a denture for a patient. The day of the final seat, I had to use another prosthodontist for the final check. He was Asian so had an accent. His quote was, "Your patient smoke?". My reply, "no". Then he says, "Why you make ash tray?" and tosses the denture onto the table. My patient was pissed. She grabs it and shoves it in her mouth and says, "Well I love it!". He kind of scribbles his ok and moves on. I'm sure there are a million of those out there.

Never had a real stern lecturer, but had one the repeated, "and you go ahead", over and over. We took a bet on how many times he would say it in an hour. 58 times. You gotta break up the stress of dental school with some humor or you'll never make it.

Wow!! Love how your patient stood up for you! That's awesome.
I definetely had a few times where a faculty was a little brash with me in front of a patient. When the faculty would leave, my patient would call the faculty out of their name, and ask me how I put up with it. I'd just shrug and say "I'm counting down till graduation", lol.
I also had some amazing faculty that treated me with much respect in front of patients, and likewise.
Just keep your head up and keep it moving, it will all be a distant memory soon.

In college I had a zoology prof that did not like to have his lectures interrupted by students arriving late. So he started locking the door as he started the lecture.
Given that his lectures were "golden", people stopped arriving late real fast.

every perio faculty ever.
key annoyances for them include pocket depths 0.5 mm off, confusing "moderate generalized perio dz" with "generalized moderate perio dz", and referring to them as not-surgeons.

Reactions: 1 users
Feel like this belongs in the dental student forum...

Off topic - how are you a pro BF4 player if you're in residency? Can't imagine there's time.

Because he only does OFMS as a hobby. :hilarious:

Feel like this belongs in the dental student forum...

Off topic - how are you a pro BF4 player if you're in residency? Can't imagine there's time.

In med school currently (last year thank god), which is considerably easier than being on service. Especially when one has no regard for the grades they receive as they are not gunning for residency.

Top 1% of BF4 players brah:
http://bf4stats.com/xone/The Anhedonia

Reactions: 1 users
What I've realized, looking back on it 10 years later, is that the professors who kicked my ass the most were the ones who had the greatest positive impact on me in the long run.