strictest board of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy1999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which states out there have some of the strictest Boards of Pharmacy? Any experiences?

I was looking through my Board's website at violations that were documented and $10,000 fines were imposed. Most of the violations I could see happening at any pharmacy because mistakes happen everywhere from time to time. Seems like it's just a matter of time before I make a mistake that gets reported - while phones are ringing, don't have enough tech help, 6 cars in drive, tons of scripts to fill, no breaks (the usual...) Does this worry anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Which states out there have some of the strictest Boards of Pharmacy? Any experiences?

I was looking through my Board's website at violations that were documented and $10,000 fines were imposed. Most of the violations I could see happening at any pharmacy because mistakes happen everywhere from time to time. Seems like it's just a matter of time before I make a mistake that gets reported - while phones are ringing, don't have enough tech help, 6 cars in drive, tons of scripts to fill, no breaks (the usual...) Does this worry anyone else?

Not sure, but from what I hear Alaska doesn't even have a board of pharmacy. Reason #84.

New York, totally anecdotal but I did not enjoy my time there.

benzos are honorary cIIs, what interns do there is what certified techs do in other states. Controls have to be on triplicate. Coumpounding exam?? what is this 1900? I could go on.. Pure stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
what interns do there is what certified techs do in other states.
That doesn't sound good for the profession if certified techs can do everything besides verify and immunize.

Personally I'm not confident in my techs' knowledge of drug interactions and abilities to counsel, so I guess I'm glad that I'm in NY.

It is scary at times, and it is a matter of luck and who knows when something will be reported. we just have to be careful and do our best to prevent mistakes.

That doesn't sound good for the profession if certified techs can do everything besides verify and immunize.

Personally I'm not confident in my techs' knowledge of drug interactions and abilities to counsel, so I guess I'm glad that I'm in NY.

You've misunderstood him. He's saying interns have limited scope of practice. Not that techs have expanded powers.

You've misunderstood him. He's saying interns have limited scope of practice. Not that techs have expanded powers.
Right, and being a NY intern, I'm pointing out the fact that interns may, in fact, do everything besides verify and immunize. What exactly do you think we're not allowed to do? We have to complete P1 year to be considered an intern, but I still don't see that being a major limitation. :confused:

We also do not require triplicate forms, but instead have tamper-proof official rx pads. I feel much more comfortable filling a controlled substance written on one of these, vs something that looks like it was done on Microsoft Word or scribbled on a piece of paper. A reduction in forgery is definitely a good thing.

We also don't allow store coupons or transfer coupons that promote pharmacy hopping. No "transfer your rx and get $X gift card!" or "free X item when you transfer here!" and the coupons will say so in the fine print at the bottom. Bad thing is that the newspapers still print out the nationwide ad that contains the coupon, and you get some disappointed people who wanted to transfer for their $5. Theoretically improves care since there should be less polypharmacy.

Right, and being a NY intern, I'm pointing out the fact that interns may, in fact, do everything besides verify and immunize. What exactly do you think we're not allowed to do? We have to complete P1 year to be considered an intern, but I still don't see that being a major limitation. :confused:

Oh, I have no idea. I just read his statement as more along the lines of the intern "scope of practice" is similar to what a certified tech is allowed to do in other states. More restrictive for interns, that is. I certainly know of no states (of course, I'm only licensed in two) that allow certified techs to do as much as interns. What states permit techs to counsel? Maybe he will come back and clarify what he meant.

Oh, I have no idea. I just read his statement as more along the lines of the intern "scope of practice" is similar to what a certified tech is allowed to do in other states. More restrictive for interns, that is. I certainly know of no states (of course, I'm only licensed in two) that allow certified techs to do as much as interns. What states permit techs to counsel? Maybe he will come back and clarify what he meant.
I believe you interpreted him correctly, that is how I understood it as well. I just gave a snarky reply.

In my current state, certified techs can receive new orders over the phone, clarify order (not the clinical aspect), make compounds, transfer scripts etc.

We have really good certified techs that I trust with a lot of what I mentioned above. In NY, as an intern, I had to do all the MD call backs even for stupid things like quantities on scripts. Compounds are also an intern/ pharmacist responsibility in NY.

Without the phones and compounds burden, it makes our lives a heck lot easier and saves ALOT of time, which we all know is a commodity in pharmacy practice. I forgot one more thing: we fill entirely from faxed scripts (even CIIs) for long term care patients- as in no need for hard copies. In NY, we had to track down every single script and endorse it every time we filled or refilled it. Another big time waster.

To add salt to the injury- I got pulled over twice (and ticketed) for driving 75 and 77mph on NY thruway. You need to do at least 82 on my current state just to keep up with the far 2 left lanes. Cops dont give a sh i t not unless you are driving recklessly or excessive speeds (ie > 85). Man, I hated pharmacy school and hated NY, they have a regulation for everything.

I could not wait to get out, lol.

Last edited:
PA is not a good state for pharmacy students because interns aren't allowed to counsel.

This even comes up at APPE sites at some schools. I've seen preceptors in other parts of the state telling students that they can't counsel patients on their meds.

You're upset at the state because you got popped twice going 10 and 12 over the limit?

Perhaps I have a small feeling of entiltlement here but that's too overbearing. Case in point, I got pulled over on mass turnpike at 75-80 whereabouts by highway patrol to alert me that one of my headlights were out with a polite reminder to slow down and watch for deer.

Needless to say, I feel no pain paying my fair share of taxes in this state. Happiness and contentment can largely be location dependent.

The most recent Script has just been published by CA BOP. The very first paragraph read: "...subsection (d) requires pharmacies to have policies and procedures in place to help patients with limited or no English proficiency understandthe information on the prescription label. Also, the pharmacies must secure oral interpreters for those patients if the interpretive services in such language are available, during all hours that the pharmacy is open."

That's OUR's state's board advancing the profession! See how tries to defend the quality of patient care from corporate retail's aggressive pressure on pharmacists to merely verify, count, and fill? Now if there is a customer at your pharmacy requesting Spanish tranlastion when there is already ten customers waiting in line and you are the only RPh on duty, have fun calling around and locating a Spanish-speaking pharmacist who is also waiting for help for his Mandarin-speaking customer from a Mandaring-speaking pharmacist who is also waiting for help for her German customer from a German-speaking pharmacist who is...

The most recent Script has just been published by CA BOP. The very first paragraph read: "...subsection (d) requires pharmacies to have policies and procedures in place to help patients with limited or no English proficiency understandthe information on the prescription label. Also, the pharmacies must secure oral interpreters for those patients if the interpretive services in such language are available, during all hours that the pharmacy is open."

That's OUR's state's board advancing the profession! See how tries to defend the quality of patient care from corporate retail's aggressive pressure on pharmacists to merely verify, count, and fill? Now if there is a customer at your pharmacy requesting Spanish tranlastion when there is already ten customers waiting in line and you are the only RPh on duty, have fun calling around and locating a Spanish-speaking pharmacist who is also waiting for help for his Mandarin-speaking customer from a Mandaring-speaking pharmacist who is also waiting for help for her German customer from a German-speaking pharmacist who is...

Yep...the purpose of a BOP is usually to protect the consumer, NOT the pharmacists.

All those parasites! :rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong with ensuring people understand how to take their medication and what the risks are. It could save lives. Health literacy and language barriers are a huge problem. We have a large russian population in tucson. One pharmacy employees a russian pharmacist and russian intern. All the russians go there. Just hire someone who speaks spanish if spanish speaking patients are the majority of your patient population.

All those parasites! :rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong with ensuring people understand how to take their medication and what the risks are. It could save lives. Health literacy and language barriers are a huge problem. We have a large russian population in tucson. One pharmacy employees a russian pharmacist and russian intern. All the russians go there. Just hire someone who speaks spanish if spanish speaking patients are the majority of your patient population.

Save lives? Pish posh! Sister, you've got to speak in terms that those who use words like "parasites" to describe patients can understand!

Break it down like this: "It can save YOUR ASS to make sure those people understand how to take their meds. It will keep you from getting sued when one of them dies!"

:smuggrin:

:banana::banana:HEALTH LITERACY :banana::banana:

This is what your school teaches::prof:
FemaleDoctorExplainingtoHispanicGirl-resized-600jpg.png

This is what really happens at the other end of the phone:
i-would-like-to-order-the-mcbitch-slaplargecokeoh-and-can-i-get-fries-with-that.jpg

Sorry, but our company doesn't have a translator for idiocy.

Last edited:

Worry about it all the time,no peace of mind even while I am sleeping.