1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Strictly Kaplan

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 4 Ever, Jun 19, 2001.

1. 4 Ever

4 Ever Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well since most people are wondering about their comparison scores of the Diagnostics compared to the actual (most involving TPR), I figured I'd start a string involving Kaplan.

I personally was shocked and disgusted by the diagnostic that Kaplan gave (and I understand their methods for doing so... makes it seem like the course helps you). I had taken practice tests on my own using various books such as REA, Barron's, etc. and I was scoring around 31. Then receiving my scores from Kaplan and seeing a 20 (7-7-6)was a shocker.

For those that took the Kaplan course, I was wondering what specific things you did to improve your score.

Obviously I am currently taking the course and doing the topical tests that they give along with other practice things. Aside from doing that, is there anything else that can be done to improve my score?

(less than 2months left)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cleaner

cleaner Member
    7+ Year Member

I took the Kaplan course last summer but I did not like how it was structured...the material they give you is a bit too detailed sometimes and I didn't bother doing topical tests...I actually decided mid-way through not to take it that summer since I was already taking a summer course, so I guess I did "waste" my money on the course cuz I was skipping classes and not doing practice exams. That being said, I borrowed Princeton Review books from my friends and I found these much much much more user friendly. TPR acquired(?) Hyperlearning - and Hyperlearning material is great.. I started studying around February and I personally feel that I wasted a month studying the Kaplan Physical Sciences book..i read thru it all, and attempted to understand and retain teh material - but I probably only absorbed 10% of it. If you can get a hold of the Princeton Review Practice passages book (it's like 400 pages I think) - that really helped me learn concepts and remember them. I also used AAMC practice materials, especially the verbal practice material and tests..I actually only did two practice tests, but I agree with what others have been saying on the boards, and that is, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE..doing problems is really good because if you don't understand a concept, you can refer back to your books..do it in that order! Don't worry, two months gives you plenty of time,..that's about how much time I studied...Two months - averaging about 10 hours a week the first month, and 20 hours a week the second month, and basically 5 hours a day a week before the test. It's "crammable"...I did decent - V10, PS12, BS11, and my Kaplan Diag was 24. GOOD LUCK!

4. scootad.

scootad. Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't worry you got plenty of time. It doesn't matter how you do on the Kaplan Diagnostic. I got a 20 on the Diagnostic but did fine on the real MCAT. Just do all the practice tests, follow the syllabus, and study, study, study! It's just a matter of committing yourself and sitting down and getting down and dirty every single day.

5. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

I took Kaplan as well. After attending one or two classes I was frustrated with the small rooms and the kids (instructors) reading from the teaching guide. I watched all the lectures on tape and reviewed every one of the books. I bought a TPR Hyperlearning book on eBay and found it much more comprehensive and easier to follow than the Kaplan ones.

I took all the Kaplan full lengths and 3-5 of the AAMC tests. This was probably the best thing about Kaplan. BTW I scored a 23 on the Kaplan diagnostic and a 31 on the real deal.

If I had to do it over again I would do it exactly the same way. I wouldn't waste my time with the TPR Diagnostics or get wrapped aroung the axle about the difficulty of the Kaplan practice elements. Way harder than the real thing.

My two cents,

Spang