Striking out of the ordinary!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPWR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is really bizarre and striking out of the ordinary. Read it for yourself.

I'm not saying anything bad about USESOM. I'm sure they are a lot of good doctors from this school. But again, I know Meharry is not a top tier US med school, it's still a LCME medical school and will give a person a better chance of a landing a good residency spot.

This is from the school's website.

STUDENT SPOTLIGHT​

*Why did you choose USESOM for medical school?

After taking the MCAT and receiving my scores, I applied to medical schools in the US and in the Caribbean. I was accepted to attend Meharry Medical College in the United States not long after I applied. However, before I had accepted the position at the US medical school, I received a call from the University of Sint Eustatius. I was given the opportunity to start in January of 2006 and I would only have to be on the island for 18 months. This would mean beginning medical school 6 months earlier than planned, and finishing the basic sciences one year earlier! I decided to attend medical school at USESOM, but I kept my seat at Meharry until I had completed my first semester on Statia.

Thanks.​

Members don't see this ad.

So this is really bizarre and striking out of the ordinary. Read it for yourself.

I'm not saying anything bad about USESOM. I'm sure they are a lot of good doctors from this school. But again, I know Meharry is not a top tier US med school, it's still a LCME medical school and will give a person a better chance of a landing a good residency spot.

This is from the school's website.

STUDENT SPOTLIGHT​

*Why did you choose USESOM for medical school?

After taking the MCAT and receiving my scores, I applied to medical schools in the US and in the Caribbean. I was accepted to attend Meharry Medical College in the United States not long after I applied. However, before I had accepted the position at the US medical school, I received a call from the University of Sint Eustatius. I was given the opportunity to start in January of 2006 and I would only have to be on the island for 18 months. This would mean beginning medical school 6 months earlier than planned, and finishing the basic sciences one year earlier! I decided to attend medical school at USESOM, but I kept my seat at Meharry until I had completed my first semester on Statia.​

Thanks.​

I saw it about 3-4 months ago on their website. That raised my eyebrows too, but hey....It's her life. Some ppl are dead-set on primary care, and in this case it probably won't matter. Though you have to scratch your head and wonder :confused:.

I saw it about 3-4 months ago on their website. That raised my eyebrows too, but hey....It's her life. Some ppl are dead-set on primary care, and in this case it probably won't matter. Though you have to scratch your head and wonder :confused:.

Primary or speciality both are fine by a student's choice, but won't you want to match at a good place for even primary care. After all, the bigger programs will give you more option for subspeciality even in primary care. US school will be a better option even if they open a new bee school in Alaska.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Primary or speciality both are fine by a student's choice, but won't you want to match at a good place for even primary care. After all, the bigger programs will give you more option for subspeciality even in primary care. US school will be a better option even if they open a new bee school in Alaska.

Thanks.

I have no arguement here whatsoever. But if she felt that the clock was ticking....more power to her. But it's not uncommon for the Carib grats to match very competative University programs, with subsequent fellowship options, or a good academic, but nontheless unopposed FP programs. Though, from what I've heard from many friends (Carib upperclassmen) many have chosen to go the community route even with the good stats. The reason....in their words (simple).....more hands on training. Things you get to do vs observe and BS about. Statia is a good school. I think the girl will still be alright. But I hope she didn't go there with hopes of being a derm or an optho or ortho.

So, what is the possibility of going to the Caribbean, like in Statia and not matching into anything. Seems like it from what these Caribbean medical school states on their websites, that everyone will be able go get some sort of residency atleast primary care, as long as they pass the boards.

Just think of it, all that loan, time and don't get a residency, it's indeed a scary thought. I'm sure that's really rare though.

I agree with ya, no doubt good Caribbean medical school are producing great docs.

Thanks.

You know, MDPWR, the only guarantee in life we have is that we will pay taxes, we all are gonna die one day (hopefully a long time from now), and that we are going to pay more taxes even after that. The possibility of not matching exists not only for IMGs/FMGs but for American grads as well, though by far minimal. It all depends on many factors, but USMLE score is a must, right connections is really really important, and also being reasonable in self-assessment and applying where on is more likely to match. Also looking at the Hx of matching in a particular program from your school. Though it actually may work against you if the previous graduate of your school is a crapy resident :smuggrin:. But most ppl manage O.K. Just don't be unreasonable. If you can't live w/o "ROAD" or whatever specielties, or academic medicine just do what needs to be done to get in U.S school. Even then there is no guarantee, except the ones I've already mentioned above. But the odds will be high in your favor.

So, what is the possibility of going to the Caribbean, like in Statia and not matching into anything. Seems like it from what these Caribbean medical school states on their websites, that everyone will be able go get some sort of residency atleast primary care, as long as they pass the boards.

Just think of it, all that loan, time and don't get a residency, it's indeed a scary thought. I'm sure that's really rare though.

I agree with ya, no doubt good Caribbean medical school are producing great docs.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Yes I agree and know some who do not match, but, big but, the way to match if you just passed the boards is to rank the programs who are unfilled last year the highest.

Yes Yes these are the programs people did not want, so what, the goal is practice.

stupid decision

Your Back. Been really boring around here.:sleep:

We all need vacations. Sometimes they need to be forced..haha

But seriously, anyone who chooses a Carib school (especially a non-50 school) over a LCME is a top notch *****. Why give up every advantage to go to a flawed Carib school? Time is not an excuse unless the difference was more than 2 years.

Whatever, I don't care since it's not me.

We all need vacations. Sometimes they need to be forced..haha

But seriously, anyone who chooses a Carib school (especially a non-50 school) over a LCME is a top notch *****. Why give up every advantage to go to a flawed Carib school? Time is not an excuse unless the difference was more than 2 years.

Whatever, I don't care since it's not me.
Oh yea I agree.

I think these people exist but if only the US medschools could know ahead of time LOL give the seat to someone not so stupid.

Well, what I think this story on the USESOM student profiles is going to hurt
the school more than benefit. Any one smart should know not to make a mistake like that.

Although, I've heard it's not a bad school though. They state everything fair and square on their website.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's give poor girl a break. C'mon now.

In case some folks are wondering what we are talking about, here is a link to stedent's spotlight archive:

http://www.eustatiusmed.edu/stuspot_walling.html

While I question the "wisdom" of her move, she probably knows her situation better than all of us smart @sses here. I'm not gonna judge her, and I'm not gonna call her stupid. She was smart enough to get in U.S allopathic school, which none of us on this thread did :eek:. Someting to think about and to go look in the mirrow before calling somebody else stupid lol :smuggrin:. The girl probably knows somebody who practices after graduating fro Statia. She said she wants peds. That's more than attainable from Carib. So let's knock it off guys. She chose this path, and I respect her a lot for sticking with it at Statia, and follow her dreams. My best wishes to her :D .

No, she is dirt eating stupid.

No doubt about that. Either that, or she is lying about something.

Statia grads can only be licensed in something like 30-40 states. What kind of genius would trade LCME accredidation for a lower tier Carib school?

I am starting to believe that she is lying about acceptance to the US med school.

Let's give poor girl a break. C'mon now.

In case some folks are wondering what we are talking about, here is a link to stedent's spotlight archive:

http://www.eustatiusmed.edu/stuspot_walling.html

While I question the "wisdom" of her move, she probably knows her situation better than all of us smart @sses here. I'm not gonna judge her, and I'm not gonna call her stupid. She was smart enough to get in U.S allopathic school, which none of us on this thread did :eek:. Someting to think about and to go look in the mirrow before calling somebody else stupid lol :smuggrin:. The girl probably knows somebody who practices after graduating fro Statia. She said she wants peds. That's more than attainable from Carib. So let's knock it off guys. She chose this path, and I respect her a lot for sticking with it at Statia, and follow her dreams. My best wishes to her :D .

1. The school is not all 50 states
2. The school is less then 10 years old
3. What would happen if the school closes down and dissapears before years out of residency? Would the Grad still get the needed certs for Lic?

Seems like these are big issues and risks verses attending a US school, I would have if I had the chance in a heart beat, "It's the smart thing to do" "It's way safer for the future"

All due to a little time? Hmm seems impulsive and yes "Stupid" "Unwise" Just my opinion.

No, she is dirt eating stupid.

No doubt about that. Either that, or she is lying about something.

Statia grads can only be licensed in something like 30-40 states. What kind of genius would trade LCME accredidation for a lower tier Carib school?

I am starting to believe that she is lying about acceptance to the US med school.

You know, it crossed my mind too. But then I thought that's kind of a BIG LIE to hide. I bet you she's got her share of "you are stupid" from the folks on the island, and just anybody who knows it to be true (or not....:confused:???) But I was just playing a devil's advocate trying to figure out what her thinking might have been. She only mentions 6 months of difference between U.S school and Statia. But b/c of the trimester-based schedule she says she'll be done a whole 1 year early. Well....then it probably made sense to her based on this fuzzy math. I'm not trying to be an apologist for her. That was definitely less than a smart move in my book (if she really get in U.S), but she wants peds in AL for God Sake's :eek:. I'm not an expert but I bet you she'll get even coming out of Statia.

1. The school is not all 50 states
2. The school is less then 10 years old
3. What would happen if the school closes down and dissapears before years out of residency? Would the Grad still get the needed certs for Lic?

Seems like these are big issues and risks verses attending a US school, I would have if I had the chance in a heart beat, "It's the smart thing to do" "It's way safer for the future"

All due to a little time? Hmm seems impulsive and yes "Stupid" "Unwise" Just my opinion.

Look, OldPro, you've got no arguement with me here. But if she did get certified for Step1 her credits will be always with ECFMG. If school does go belly up (which I personally doubted) she can transfer to the ones still in operation. I think " peds in AL" is all that mattered to her. She didn't look at the big picture. Who knows, may be she needed to split quick (parents in her face, abusive boyfriend, love triangle :love: :confused: :laugh: :smuggrin:) I dunno man. But I hope she doesn't regret that impulse later on in her life.

Well, people do have their reasons and they don't always make sense to observers.

If she wants Peds in AL, then I guess it won't make much of a difference but it is like taking a moped on a cross-country drive instead of a Mercedes. They both get you to the same destination, but the Mercedes has many more benefits associated with it.

You know, it crossed my mind too. But then I thought that's kind of a BIG LIE to hide. I bet you she's got her share of "you are stupid" from the folks on the island, and just anybody who knows it to be true (or not....:confused:???) But I was just playing a devil's advocate trying to figure out what her thinking might have been. She only mentions 6 months of difference between U.S school and Statia. But b/c of the trimester-based schedule she says she'll be done a whole 1 year early. Well....then it probably made sense to her based on this fuzzy math. I'm not trying to be an apologist for her. That was definitely less than a smart move in my book (if she really get in U.S), but she wants peds in AL for God Sake's :eek:. I'm not an expert but I bet you she'll get even coming out of Statia.

Well, people do have their reasons and they don't always make sense to observers.

If she wants Peds in AL, then I guess it won't make much of a difference but it is like taking a moped on a cross-country drive instead of a Mercedes. They both get you to the same destination, but the Mercedes has many more benefits associated with it.

I just re-read what she said about her plans to practice. Sorry it's not AL. Make it TN instead. But now I have to scratch my head even more, b/c I believe TN just adopted Cali guide lines, and is not that IMG friendly. Oh well, may be she can still get she wants but the mercedes analogy sure holds true...lol :smuggrin:

I'm dragging the whole text out on here. See what others have to say about it. The phrase "after receiving my MCAT scores I applied to U.S and Caribbean schools" kind of bothers me. Are you a U.S med school material or not? Anyway. Here it goes:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
What did you do before acceptance to medical school?
I worked as a waitress at a local steak house in my hometown every weekend throughout high school and college. I have attended school my entire life. I graduated from high school, graduated from college, graduated from a Certified Medical Assistant program, and then I started medical school in January 2006! I have also worked in 3 doctor's offices. This was a great experience for me and allowed me to get some connections and experience in the medical field. I continue to work very closely with the pediatrician in my hometown because I want to be a pediatrician.
Why did you choose USESOM for medica school?
After taking the MCAT and receiving my scores, I applied to medical schools in the US and in the Caribbean. I was accepted to attend Meharry Medical College in the United States not long after I applied. However, before I had accepted the position at the US medical school, I received a call from the University of Sint Eustatius. I was given the opportunity to start in January of 2006 and I would only have to be on the island for 18 months. This would mean beginning medical school 6 months earlier than planned, and finishing the basic sciences one year earlier! I decided to attend medical school at USESOM, but I kept my seat at Meharry until I had completed my first semester on Statia. I met some amazing people from the first day that I arrived here and the teachers and faculty were wonderful. I was a little nervous about attending a Caribbean school in the beginning but I began to research more and talk to people, and once I started here, I knew that everything would be ok.
In what area of medicine do you plan to practice?
I would love to be a pediatrician working in my own practice back in Tennessee.
What are your best memories, favorite things, about medical school on Statia?
I have many memories of medical school and all the wonderful people I have met here. I definitely love Fridays. Since we began school here, a group of us have gone to the beach every Friday right after class until dark. Then we all get ready and go out to dinner. It allows us to talk about the week and relax before starting to study on Saturday. Since first term our group has grown so much! I have very fond memories of the hyperbaric classes. Dr. Duncan (Kirkby) makes our work with patients at the hyperbaric chamber so much fun. There is always something exciting going on there even after being there for 5 hours. Never a boring moment at the chamber!!!
Will you return to Statia for a visit?
I am definitely going to return to Statia. I have made many friends here and Statia is a beautiful island with some wonderful dive sites. I have enjoyed my entire time on Statia in school and out of school, and am so thankful to the Statians for welcoming the medical students into their paradise.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Her name was left out intentionally. Please don't post it here.

this story is too outrageous to be true...imma str8 up call bs

I applied to medical schools in the US and in the Caribbean. I was accepted to attend Meharry Medical College in the United States not long after I applied. However, before I had accepted the position at the US medical school, I received a call from the University of Sint Eustatius. I was given the opportunity to start in January of 2006 and I would only have to be on the island for 18 months. This would mean beginning medical school 6 months earlier than planned, and finishing the basic sciences one year earlier! I decided to attend medical school at USESOM, but I kept my seat at Meharry until I had completed my first semester on Statia.

This person is not very honest, they did not turn down Meharry till after 1 semester at Sint Eustatius so some one could have gotten the seat and did not,
This person is not only stupid but lacks character! IMHO.

Short sighted on goals so immature too. 6 months is nothing its a moment in life.

So it even looks worse to me as reread it a second time.

It makes me sad! :(:(:mad: