Stripping And Undressing, D.O. Style?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofu

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I gotta a problem. I am a relatively thin male with "chubby fat" in all the wrong places. I am afraid to take off my shirt.
Does OMM require people to take off their shirt....is there any way around it? I hope I dont embarrass myself...should I just switch to allopathy?:(

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, there will be folks in OMM lab with all sorts of pleasing and not so pleasing physiques. But, you better get used to it -- you do not get to select your patient popultation...unless you're the team gynecologist for the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders...for their looks.

Honestly, it will be uncomfortable at first. After a few session, you will not even think twice. Learn to be comfortable with who you are...not only your mind; but your body as well.

We took off our shirts in OMT lab a few times over the semester. After the first time or two it really isn't that big of a deal. You'll find that there are so many different body types that you won't be alone.

I doubt that changing to an allopathic school will make much of a difference. According to posts I've seen they also occasionally have to go shirtless as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait a minute......:confused:

do chics take off their shirts too???:eek:

:D :D :D

Yeah right

They would never let girls take thier shirts off, that would way too risky. Anyways, I dont think many girls would agree to it anyway, I def. wouldnt

anmol

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Oh my god r u kidding me?? I am so insecure about my upper body, I always have been. I dont even wear bathing suits. What the heck am I gonna do. How did the women in your class get used to this?

anmol

The good news is, now that I have this knowledge, I have eight months to shape my current relatively flat abs into awe-inspiring works of art. Now if I just had a bigger chest... what about those of us who pretty much look like boys with our shirts off anyway? I am gonna have a hard time remembering to put on a bra :D !

Truly, after the first time or two it isn't a big deal. I don't think anyone was very excited about the prospect of being shirtless, but it just wasn't a big issue.

Some of my classmates actually wore tank tops over their sports bras.

Originally posted by DrZippy2b
Now if I just had a bigger chest... what about those of us who pretty much look like boys with our shirts off anyway? I am gonna have a hard time remembering to put on a bra :D !

:laugh:

Of course, with a decent sports bra lots of us look basically like boys! You'll remember because the alternative is..... or you can just keep your sports bra in your locker like I do.

we are all grown ups and professional but....i would assume that the teachers go to proper extremes to ensure that guys are paired up with guys and women w/ women-- am i right?? Main reason for asking is that my wife will most likely be attending my omm lab if not:laugh:

Okay, think about it. Everyone has to get used to patients of both genders. In my class I was paired with a man every week (we rotated partners each week). There were some people who ended up with a same gender partner a couple of times.

Again, it really wasn't a big deal after the first couple of weeks. There were some weeks where we were learning manipulations that were more "personal" (2 weeks of manipulating ribs come to mind), but by then we were more comfortable and relied on humor as needed (those weeks were referred to a "cop-a-feel" labs). The actual lab time was professional, though.

I'm sure your wife can come to lab and someone would be willing to practice on her!! :laugh:

OMM lab, to me, was always reminiscent of a pleasant stroll through a carnival while perusing the monstrosities that, in this case, were our own bare bodies. Fortunately, you may rest assured that persons suffering from genetic anomalies in the form of possessing "rock hard bodies" are, by far, in the minority. By and large, most medical students are tragic victims of the Freshman 50 or, worse, they have been paid numerous visits by the Back Hair Fairy. For sure, you will see more ?Kegs? than ?Six Packs.?

Even I was not immune from participation in the sideshow known as "OMM Lab." There I was, bare backed in OMM lab proudly exhibiting my anomalous gift, Spina Bifida. Why yes, it is quite a site to behold. You see, my entire spinal cord protrudes six inches from my back and is covered only by a thin, highly vascularized but otherwise pathetic membrane. This affliction makes manipulation quite inconvenient, I assure you, and also makes attracting mates almost unfeasible. For certain I would have been emotionally distraught had it not been for the close, personal support of my classmates, Bob "Webbed Feet" Anderson and Jimmy "Three Cheeks" Nelson. Without them, life in OMM lab would have been almost impossible, as it was for people like Peter "Accessory Nipples" McGee. Only Ralph ?The Muslim? O?Toole (a red-haired, freckly-faced lad) was exempt from public derision, as he had the foresight to convert to Islam before school began and submit all necessary paperwork exempting him, for religious reasons, from bearing excess skin. Ralph, my friends, was the smart one. And he lives today without the emotional scar that my friends and I bear.

So, I suggest you all begin to prepare yourselves mentally for this event. Some may even wish to seek out counselors in advance in order to deal with the certain emotional trauma that most experience. Fortunately, most counseling will be reimbursed by insurance, thanks in part to the American Psychological Association who has expanded the definition of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder to include participation in OMM laboratories.

I wish you all well and encourage each of you to enjoy your final remaining months of mental health.

(For the humor impaired, I do not truly suffer from Spina Bifida. I assure you that my neural tube fused properly during my fetal development. Thank you in advance for your sympathy and concern, however.)

Members don't see this ad :)
(For the humor impaired, I do not truly suffer from Spina Bifida. I assure you that my neural tube fused properly during my fetal development. Thank you in advance for your sympathy and concern, however.)

your little disclaimers kill me!!!:laugh:

This thread is hysterical....but just for the record...now that I think about it...COMP gives us memberships to LA Fitness and Bally's....and apparently for good reason....
We have the same partner until our mid term...then switch...so we have the same person for half the semester....
God knows how people show up to OMM unshowered and DARE I SAW UNSHAVEN.....Ugghhh...I know we have to deal with with this in the real world...but at least then we will be getting paid...its still yuch...but maybe then the "Lambs will stop screaming:

Merry Christmas...

and remember...Cleanliness is 2nd only to Godliness...

After a few close encounters with inferior shears and pelvic diapgrams....you'll understand..

Great. Now I have to remember to wear a bra AND shave??!!??! This med school stuff is getting unbearable already !! :D

Originally posted by DrZippy2b
Great. Now I have to remember to wear a bra AND shave??!!??! This med school stuff is getting unbearable already !! :D

At my school we have OMM lab once each week so the night before was leg-shaving night, without fail! ;)

You know, I was just reminded of a two rather funny but very true events that occurred in my OMM lab.

First, rather than take the time to "dress out" for lab, many of us would just wear shorts under our clothes for the particular day we were in lab. Then when we got to lab, we'd just drop out pants and *BOOM* we were dressed out. So this system worked great for most of us, except for one fella. One day, during out second year, the force of habit just took over and this fella just dropped his pants and threw them in his backpack. He then proceeded to participate in lab as he always had. Unfortunately, the force of habit was not with him that morning when he was supposed to put shorts on. So the poor guy works in lab in his underwear for about five minutes while people are snickering behind him. Finally some guy goes up to him and says, "DUDE!!! Put some freakin' pants on!!" Talk about embarassed!

Then, of course, there was the Ringworm Outbreak of '99. Because my school did not see it necessary to EVER sterilize the tables, a ton of students started getting ringworm and we linked it to our OMM labs. Those were rough weeks.

this is such a funny post. The bottom lines is that i think girls should also be required to take everything off. I means whats the big deal showing off bobbies? I like it, all men like it.

I have pectus excavatum and I've never had to take off my shirt in front of anyone until I started school. I recall that I was very nervous and somewhat apprehensive about it.

It's been a couple months past now and I still get nervous sometimes. But I'm getting used to it. I always wonder what my other classmates think about it, but I tell myself that this is something that they will encounter in their practice at least once since it is quite common. So in a way, I'm a tool. :p

this is such a funny post. The bottom lines is that i think girls should also be required to take everything off. I means whats the big deal showing off bobbies? I like it, all men like it.

Johnstoner: Thats exactly why we dont want to do that. You my friend do not deserve the pleasure.

anmol :p

Hahahahahah. Tru dat-- what are bobbies? Cuz even I would probably enjoy seeing those. LOL

Originally posted by DrMom
And what exactly are bobbies? Don't remember them being covered in anatomy class!

Isn't the bobbie the thing that hangs down in the back of your throat?

Yeah...I think that's what it's called...it just bobs around back there.

I've seen some funny looking bobbies in my class.

my bad i meant boobies...

I was gonna say...half way done with my second year, and as a SAVY NY'er...I really didn't think there was much thay I have missed along the way, and I was befuddled.

Just for the record...those that enjoy "dope fiend feels and peeks at others" are quickly spotted and outcast from the class....

OMM is no place for the local perve....

Well I suppose here in Arizona where ppl aren't wearing much to begin with (i was wearing shorts on X-mass) we get to wear tee shirts and shorts in our omm lab. if we have problems palpating through them we just go underneath them...it's like taking a pulse with a glove on, but for whatever reason, perhaps to avoid ringworm outbreaks we are not required to undress.... or perhaps due to the frigid weather.

It really isn't that big a deal. The first day is kind of weird, but, once the academic abuse is in full swing you all are hurting anyway so having your shirt off in front of your class is far less important or embarassing. Ultimately the only thing you hope for come practical time is someone who isn't too large so that you can palpate adequately to survive the practical and do treatment on if you have to do HVLA techniques.

Just my two pennies. Ultimately, taking your shirt off will be the least of your problems once you really get rolling.

Sweaty Paul MS-III
KCOM

Originally posted by Sweaty Paul
Ultimately the only thing you hope for come practical time is someone who isn't too large so that you can palpate adequately to survive the practical and do treatment on if you have to do HVLA techniques.

:laugh: Too true! But its not always the *big* ones who are hard to work on. We have some skinny classmates who are still hard to palpate! No one wants to be assigned to them for the week!

I know about this all too well. I am 6'3" and about 260..and in terms of the practical, we need to wait in the hallway and we are "paired" up for the practical portion of the exam.

I am all to familiar with people looking around....saying "Nothing personal...but I don't wanna get you as my partner"

My Final exam 1st year fall semester...my partner was a 5'1" 100 pound Asian girl, who was asked to do lumbar roll on me....I didn't know what to....but she set it up, and executed it perfectly....with a "pop" and all.....so it can be done...I felt bad...and took her to lunch...where we laughed about it..

Just in fairness....working on someone that is petite for me is difficult....trying to palpate and feel a single vertebrae when the palm pf my hand covers 2/3 of the spine...is no easy tas..everything seems miniturized, but alas, we all get through.....

Happy New Years!!!

you know... this is actually the first time i've thought about that aspect of OMM class... i have a feeling that i'll be taking yosh's place as the "nothing personal" guy. at 6'4" and a bit "beefer" than 260, i can feel the stares of terror already.

i'm big boned!! i'm big boned!!

The 1901-2001 was the Sigma Phi Epsilon centennial....yeah I know...there are a few SigEps in my class...and they laugh everytime they see it....
OMM is fun...and like everyone is saying...after a while no one notices it anymore...
We even have some guys that won't take their shirts off...granted I am not "speedo" material....but hey..a shower and some cologne...and after manic hours of studying...I am a KING...

Anyway....good luck to all....

I am off for New Years...hoping NYC and I will survive

maybe the reason why some guys are not willing to take off their shirts is that they have a big Yakuza dragon tatoo across their backs and chest...

quite possible...hmmm

Actually, a classmate of mine has a huge dragon tattoo across his back..and I think some of the 1st years are quite decorated as well....there are very few secrets in OMM....

If I can just add some advice to this thread.

GUYS...do NOT wear boxers under your gym shorts. It pains me to say this, but opt for the briefs for that one day while you are in lab. Or boxer-briefs.

The last thing you want is to have a female partner feeling for your rocking sacrum and have her look down and "meet" you face to....well...you get the idea.

I don't see what the big deal is. If I have no problem taking off my shirt in OMT lab, no one else should either. Ahm dead sexeh!

computerdesk2.jpg

We are "required" to wear shorts when deal with the pelvis and lower extremities....if not..we are maked as absent....

As far as the boxers...It is an awesome time to show off your underwear personality....people in my group are always curious to see what I am wearing...as I have acquired 75+ pairs of JCrew boxers....so I wear the "theme" for the day...

MY OMM group ROCKS!!!

Inferior Shear tx anyone?

Yeah...JCrew has all different kinds of patterns and designs....I have various X-mas ones.....drinking ones....Autumn ones...plaid...dots..their patterns are endless...

I have red hearts for Valentines Day...or any day I am feeling particularly amorous....

I have foliage for fall...and Halloween, witches, skeletons..

I have wonderbread dots....blue dots...multicolor dots...

Driniking....Martini Glasses, Beer Steins....and the list goes on...

I never wear the same boxers twice in the same semester....

I used to spend my money drinking and partying...and now that I am in school....an SDN Moderator(ahem)...my money is spent on boxers...hey its not like its drugs or anything....

My friends think its crazy...but hey, I express myself through my drawers....what can I say?

I have my "palpating fingers" and my "conversational" drawers...it always makes for conversation....

I have a tattoo on my calf...my certainly no Huge firery dragon....so I needed some kind of schtick....

I am a NY-er lost in a land where people don't understand me...so I gotta just do my own thing.,..

Ya Know???

Just keepin' it real...shown' how the East Coast does things...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :laugh: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:eek:

I'm speechless.

Someone sure has to "stir" the pot and keep it real....apparently I am enjoying my "self-proclaimed" position....I am a bit of a class clown...but a lot of medical students take themselves way way too seriously....

....then there is me...

What can I say?