Strong medicine programs that have a preliminary year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aleezay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know of top 10 IM programs that have a prelim year?

I know U Washington, Columbia and Brigham and Women's does.

Anybody know if Stanford, UCSF or UCLA do?

And if one was to match into one of these prelim programs and then PGY-2 for another field, say radiology... and then decided during their prelim year they liked medicine and would miss it--is it impossible to then subsequently enroll in that medicine program for PGY-2 and 3, while dropping out of the radiology spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, does anyone know of top 10 IM programs that have a prelim year?

I know U Washington, Columbia and Brigham and Women's does.

Anybody know if Stanford, UCSF or UCLA do?

And if one was to match into one of these prelim programs and then PGY-2 for another field, say radiology... and then decided during their prelim year they liked medicine and would miss it--is it impossible to then subsequently enroll in that medicine program for PGY-2 and 3, while dropping out of the radiology spot?

Stanford, BID, BWH, JHU, MGH (I believe) all have prelim years. Each of these places has 1 person every 2-3 years drop out of their matched subspecialty to stay on for medicine, from what the PD's of some of these programs mentioned. However, it's not typical. And you wind up putting your subspecialty program in a tough spot -- especially if you match at one of these prelim. institutions, which probably means your app was strong enough to get into a top program of your subspecialty. Though if you think you've found what you love and it's NOT your matched subspecialty then you've gotta do what makes you happy.

Oh, and just to be clear, when you apply for a prelim at one of these schools, they select you on the basis that if you choose to stay on, you'd be of the same caliber as categoricals who applied with you. So the assumption that I took away from my interviews was that they consider heavily the possibility that a prelim may ask to become categorical in PGY-2 when selecting her/him.

Hope that helps.

-Ice

Don't forget about Duke!

We have several prelim spots each year, and have certainly taken on residents to the PGY-2 year who liked medicine so much that they wanted to continue with the training. It's really a phenomenal program...definitely worth the look if you're considering our peer programs (MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Penn, UCSF, Michigan, Wash U, UW, BID, UT Southwestern, and the like).

Members don't see this ad :)
You can easily search for IM prelim spots on FRIEDA. Choose IM as the specialty and under optional criteria, select programs that "offer a prelim year". Select the states where you're interested in looking and you're good.

FRIEDA

UCSF doesn't have prelim except for neuro which is a package deal. Seriously though if you are going into radiology why not just go for the chill prelim/tran year. do you really need 10 months of overnight call as a medicine intern to be a radiologist?

I hear upitt is a great place to do a solid prelim IM year. Prelims staying on to be categorical (or switching from other specialties) has happened a bunch of times the past few years. It definitely seems like a happy program that makes people interested in medicine (unlike some huge name "elite" places i know of).