Strong Step 1, Average Clinical Grades applying into Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigley_

Reaction score
I'm at a top 25 school with a 260+ Step 1 and 2, but average clinical grades applying into DR. Generally speaking, I have HPs in all core rotations except for Surgery and OB/Gyn, in which I have Ps, and Neuro, in which I have an H. We're graded on a F/P/HP/H scale with approximately 33% in each of the P/HP/H categories on any given rotation. We have a radiology elective that I honored, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't count for much. Otherwise, my comments from all my rotations happen to all be very positive. It is notable that I did not prepare well for the Surgery shelf exam when I was just starting out back on clinics, which was responsible for that pass, but this will not be reported on my transcript, just the overall pass.
I've been told Radiology has historically been very competitive, but in the last few years it is perhaps not quite as much, but still reasonably competitive. I am very interested in research and have 10+ pubs with 5 as a first author in good journals, as well as a few other abstracts/presentations.
Basically, I realize my Step scores and clinical grades tell somewhat different stories. My original hope was to match to a really strong DR residency given my Step scores and pubs, but I'm honestly pretty worried now about the impact my clerkship grades will have. I realize that these clinical grades would have probably been a huge negative for an ENT or Ortho residency, just for example, but I'm not sure what impact it will have on the better DR residencies or DR residencies in general. I'm also strongly considering doing aways, and I'm really curious in particular what realistic away programs I should aim for given these stats. I have a couple of rotations left before I apply as well but am mostly done.
Overall, I would really appreciate insight into 1) whether I should even do an away for DR, and if I should, where I should realistically do it given my stats and intent to match there. 2) What tier of DR programs make the most sense at this point

Members don't see this ad.

are you serious? Can't tell if you're being serious.... You're gonna get multiple offers from top 10. I'm applying to DR right now with nothing close to your app and I got a couple top 20's.
1. No...only do an away if its not your home state and you have no ties and you really want to go there. Also don't go if you have a weird personality. 2. you're fine for any program. stop being neurotic.
also rads has been more competitive the past few years, but still you're in the top 5% of applicants...

Reactions: 6 users
I'm asking in large part because a lot of the residents at the top programs tend to be AOA. The main reason I posted was because my clinical grades are average, mostly HP with a couple of passes. I wasn't sure what impact this would have on my app relative to everything else.

I also should mention that although I have a pretty solid research track record, none of it is in radiology. I'm wondering if I need radiology pubs or research generally specifically or if my other research is good enough. Thanks a lot though for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bruh you will match, and you will match well. Stop being neurotic, and spare your mental health

Reactions: 3 users
Most applicants won’t be competitive for your safeties.

Reactions: 5 users
No, you're stuck with FM in the middle of nowhere. Sorry bud... Should have gotten a 280 instead.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
what of these posts...What are you honestly looking for? How bad are you at interviewing? Answer those two questions and it'll tell you where you'll match.

So you’re smarter than your peers but aren’t as proficient clinically... sounds like radiology is a perfect fit for you!