Strong ties but OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efitzpat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I demonstate that I have strong ties to a state if there is nothing on their application about it. For example, I'm applying to the University of Toledo. I was born in Toledo, grew up nearby, but left 10 years ago. My dad, uncles, and even a sister went there for undergrad but there is no where on the app to say any of this! I'd have to be extremely creative to work this into the questions (1. Discuss extenuating circumstances and 2. discuss an experience where you demonstrated cultural competence). Is it appropriate to send a letter along with my app (its all paper) or should I wait?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

How do I demonstate that I have strong ties to a state if there is nothing on their application about it. For example, I'm applying to the University of Toledo. I was born in Toledo, grew up nearby, but left 10 years ago. My dad, uncles, and even a sister went there for undergrad but there is no where on the app to say any of this! I'd have to be extremely creative to work this into the questions (1. Discuss extenuating circumstances and 2. discuss an experience where you demonstrated cultural competence). Is it appropriate to send a letter along with my app (its all paper) or should I wait?

Any thoughts?

Aren't your birth city as well as your parents' educations included on your primary? Maybe that would be enough to get you an interview where you can explain more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would absolutely be a good idea to write a letter pointing out your ties to the school/area. I would probably put my amcas # on both the envelope and the letter itself, just to make sure it makes it to your file.

I think it would absolutely be a good idea to write a letter pointing out your ties to the school/area. I would probably put my amcas # on both the envelope and the letter itself, just to make sure it makes it to your file.

so you think i should send it separately and not with the app itself?

You can include an enclosure (aka letter) with your secondaries explaining your ties. It may help with admission but it won't necessarily get you in-state tuition depending on state laws.

You can include an enclosure (aka letter) with your secondaries explaining your ties. It may help with admission but it won't necessarily get you in-state tuition depending on state laws.

Not looking for in-state tuition. Just looking for an acceptance somewhere!!!!