Strongest Clinical experience on app....what is it?

Yes Sir

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Hello all, I'm trying to get creative with what type of clinical experience to undertake this summer. I want something which will stand out to med schools and not just be the standard volunteer in the ER. My goal is to get into a top tier school and I think in many cases these unique experiences set applicants apart. Please describe your most valubale/most interesting experience!.

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Hello all, I'm trying to get creative with what type of clinical experience to undertake this summer. I want something which will stand out to med schools and not just be the standard volunteer in the ER. My goal is to get into a top tier school and I think in many cases these unique experiences set applicants apart. Please describe your most valubale/most interesting experience!.
What you get out of your clinical experience (and how you can articulate it in your PS/interviews) is more important than how "unique" the experience is. Although there are a lot of interesting and unique experiences out there, the very nature of it really won't matter to the adcoms as they are likely to have heard of it before.

Your best bet is to find an experience that will give you the most patient contact and give you the best insight into medicine. This could come from volunteering in the ER, children's hospital, hospice, etc.

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Never-Never-Land
Status
Medical Student
I worked as a personal assistant for a bariatric surgeon for two summers, as a home therapist for a ten-year-old boy with autism (full time) for 10 months, and as a student speech and language pathologist part-time for a year with over 20 different students.

I think those were my most interesting/important.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Medical Mission trip to a foreign country. I worked WONDERS on my interviews!

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
GUess what I am:

"I wipe butts for a living"

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Medical Student
What you get out of your clinical experience (and how you can articulate it in your PS/interviews) is more important than how "unique" the experience is. Although there are a lot of interesting and unique experiences out there, the very nature of it really won't matter to the adcoms as they are likely to have heard of it before.

Your best bet is to find an experience that will give you the most patient contact and give you the best insight into medicine. This could come from volunteering in the ER, children's hospital, hospice, etc.
You could sum up this post in one word: self-fulfilling!

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student

The most valuable clinical experience? A medical degree from a Third World country like Gabon, Niger, or Canada.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The most valuable clinical experience? A medical degree from a Third World country like Gabon, Niger, or Canada.
Holy crap, that was hilarious yet so wrong. Hahahaha. I bet that comment is going to make some Canadians mad..