All Branch Topic (ABT) Strongest military specialties/residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acsb_21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which specialties have the best military residencies (and how much does it depend on branch)? Is it generally better to try for a civilian residency over a military residency regardless of specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

This is almost an impossible question to answer, in part because there’s no definition of what you’re considering “best,” and partially because these things change over time.

Even if you define a list of what makes a residency best (eg: research, board pass rates, comfort on graduation, fellowship training, etc) it’s hard to say which is “best” because most of us don’t really know the data for programs from which we did not graduate. Also, it’s really apples and oranges comparing completely different specialties. Saying “compare the ortho program at MAMC vs SAMC” is hard enough, but comparing neurology to radiology? How does one even do that?

Finally, as you’ll see repeated multiple times within this forum, if you can get in to a top ranked civilian program it is probably better than any military program, but most military programs aren’t bottom-of-the-barrel.

What are you looking for, specifically?

This is almost an impossible question to answer, in part because there’s no definition of what you’re considering “best,” and partially because these things change over time.

Even if you define a list of what makes a residency best (eg: research, board pass rates, comfort on graduation, fellowship training, etc) it’s hard to say which is “best” because most of us don’t really know the data for programs from which we did not graduate. Also, it’s really apples and oranges comparing completely different specialties. Saying “compare the ortho program at MAMC vs SAMC” is hard enough, but comparing neurology to radiology? How does one even do that?

Finally, as you’ll see repeated multiple times within this forum, if you can get in to a top ranked civilian program it is probably better than any military program, but most military programs aren’t bottom-of-the-barrel.

What are you looking for, specifically?

Thanks, I see your point. It’s too early in the process for me to know what specialty I want. I’m just trying to make a well educated decision on HPSP and whether a military residency will somehow put me behind my civilian counterparts, regardless of specialty, but you’re right, too many moving parts to gauge.

Thanks, I see your point. It’s too early in the process for me to know what specialty I want. I’m just trying to make a well educated decision on HPSP and whether a military residency will somehow put me behind my civilian counterparts, regardless of specialty, but you’re right, too many moving parts to gauge.

Where are you in the US? You might try shadowing a few physicians if you are near a military treatment facility- particularly a teaching hospital- and can get base access. I think it would be helpful to talk to some medical officers in person before you make this decision.