Struggle with TBR Berkeley Review Bio Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aurevoir0711

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to buy the new TBR books and started working on them today for Bio Part 1 (Physiology part). The questions are actually same to old TBR books for Bio at least (I have an old copy from 2012 from eBay). I solved the practice passage based questions for the first section and it was so different from what I am used to seeing from EK and NS. I ended up with a 59%, a failing grade.

I checked out some old threads and it seems like this happens quite often. My question is how similar are these questions compared to the actual new MCAT? I have seen many posts that EK short exams are the closest things to the actual MCAT and they are much doable than TBR passages. I am going to go through all the TBR passages nonetheless, but wanted to get some opinions. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think I've seen a company rep from BR say that scoring 60-70%+ on "phase I" is actually very good.

If you guys don't mind me asking, did you complete all 100 questions for Phase I? I just finished up with the review, but I am trying to figure out if I need to complete all 100. Or if it is better to do 50 and move on to the next section.

If you guys don't mind me asking, did you complete all 100 questions for Phase I? I just finished up with the review, but I am trying to figure out if I need to complete all 100. Or if it is better to do 50 and move on to the next section.
There is a very high chance that you might be unfamiliar with certain topics, so I would recommend doing all 100. Even within the same topic, some questions can be very challenging or just tricky.
For me, there is no phase 1 because I am doing everything timed already. I will have to come back in 2 weeks and see how much I remember for phase 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to finish the first five passages. I'm scoring on average between 53-60% on each passage. So I believe I am going to study a little more on these sections and move on to another topic. Good luck on these passages!

I decided to buy the new TBR books and started working on them today for Bio Part 1 (Physiology part). The questions are actually same to old TBR books for Bio at least (I have an old copy from 2012 from eBay). I solved the practice passage based questions for the first section and it was so different from what I am used to seeing from EK and NS. I ended up with a 59%, a failing grade.

I checked out some old threads and it seems like this happens quite often. My question is how similar are these questions compared to the actual new MCAT? I have seen many posts that EK short exams are the closest things to the actual MCAT and they are much doable than TBR passages. I am going to go through all the TBR passages nonetheless, but wanted to get some opinions. Thank you so much!
yeah they are really, really hard. Some of the hardest questions you'll come across. I got a 129 in B/B on my last MCAT and just got a 67% on their Ch.1 Muscle and Nerve questions..

yeah they are really, really hard. Some of the hardest questions you'll come across. I got a 129 in B/B on my last MCAT and just got a 67% on their Ch.1 Muscle and Nerve questions..
If you don't mind, could you share what your composite score was for last MCAT? 129 is a really high score!