Struggles of a pre-dent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingme23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I would really like some advice. Currently a sophomore attending a very reputable state school in western PA(probably the one you're thinking of). Let me start by saying that dentistry is something that I have always wanted to do, I'm not one of those people who comes in wanting to do it for the wrong reasons. That being said, the science classes have been killing me. Because of a bad freshman year, let's just say some issues at home, I ended up with B in gen chem 1 and C in gen chem 2 along with C's in bio 1 and 2. I know this is awful. However this year I've really turned things around and have gotten all A's, except, you guessed it, organic chem 1 which I received a C. It was never an issue of not studying enough because I put in hours for this class, it seems that the competition in these courses is fierce. At this point I'm starting to think about other options even though this is what I've wanted to do for so long, what do you guys think? Has anyone been in this position with bad freshman grades and successfully gotten admission somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Its still early in your career but you should focus on 3 things from this point: 1) KILLING the rest of your science classes 2) Doing well on the science sections of your DAT (may show the adcoms that youre a better science student than your grades demonstrate) and 3) Getting heavily involved in extracurriculars .. if you do all of those there is no reason to give up on your dreams so early, but you've definitely put yourself in a hole that you need to work your way out of .. good luck!!

Hello all, I would really like some advice. Currently a sophomore attending a very reputable state school in western PA(probably the one you're thinking of). Let me start by saying that dentistry is something that I have always wanted to do, I'm not one of those people who comes in wanting to do it for the wrong reasons. That being said, the science classes have been killing me. Because of a bad freshman year, let's just say some issues at home, I ended up with B in gen chem 1 and C in gen chem 2 along with C's in bio 1 and 2. I know this is awful. However this year I've really turned things around and have gotten all A's, except, you guessed it, organic chem 1 which I received a C. It was never an issue of not studying enough because I put in hours for this class, it seems that the competition in these courses is fierce. At this point I'm starting to think about other options even though this is what I've wanted to do for so long, what do you guys think? Has anyone been in this position with bad freshman grades and successfully gotten admission somewhere?

Of course people have started out poorly and gained admission, but I suggest that you take a look at your study habits. Just because you spend hours "studying" does not necessarily mean that it will lead to A's. Maybe you aren't studying the right away. Go in to see professors during office hours or something to change the way you have been studying for science courses. If you want it badly enough, I think you will find a way to turn this around. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestions. Being in undergrad I'm really ignorant about how the admission process works, seeing the average sciGPA of most schools is really a wake up call seeing as how I would need virtually all A's in the rest of the courses to get to that point. I agree in that maybe my study habits are not effective, usually I will read the textbook until I feel like I understand and then try out some practice problems and the suggested homework problems.

I feel like you. I spend a lot of time studying for my classes, but I can't seem to pull off the great grades for science classes. It seems there is more to just how much time you put in. I have to try a different way of studying.

I find that I get it while in lecture but when I go to do the homework I struggle. After all my hard work I scored an A (just found out). I found that I could not do it alone and group study helped. The best help for me was youtube videos and Chad's videos. I was pretty good up until mechanisms/reactions then I felt lost. His videos are free at the moment and he helped me to further understand key concepts that my professor didn't teach. I think a lot of professors skip some basic fundamentals and just assume we should know and that's how we get lost.
Anyway with flashcards, Chad and group study I pulled it off.
Maybe for orgo 2 you can try a new approach.
Good luck!
course saver .com

Better start acing some of the Pitt science classes!

Thanks for the suggestions. Being in undergrad I'm really ignorant about how the admission process works, seeing the average sciGPA of most schools is really a wake up call seeing as how I would need virtually all A's in the rest of the courses to get to that point. I agree in that maybe my study habits are not effective, usually I will read the textbook until I feel like I understand and then try out some practice problems and the suggested homework problems.
I think repetition and practice is really the key to understanding organic chemistry. What worked for me was skimming the chapter the first time, then cracking all of the problems in the back without looking at the solutions manual, then reviewing the chapter again for clarity. Working problems is the secret to a strong performance - even if it means you have to do all of them more than once.

Good news is that you passed the classes, bad news is that you just passed the classes... Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll really have to up your game if you really want to do dental school. That being said, you can still do it if you really want it. I have average stats and still got in, but I have a lot of really cool stuff on my application. I am definitely of the of the belief that stats aren't everything, but you still have to have good enough stats to get looked at. Good luck...

To answer your question directly, I have 3 C's (non-science) on my transcript. Don't trip too much on the Orgo grade...we have LOTS in our class that made B-/C in O-chem. You will never use the crap again, so rest easy. I would recommend you make every other aspect of your app very strong. Get a stellar DAT score, excellent LORs, and have lots and lots of clinical shadowing hours and volunteering. You may want to take some upper level bio classes (genetics, immuno, histo, anatomy, physio, biochem, etc...) and get all A's in them. You do have a lot of C's...which is not good. One or two isn't a big deal, maybe three if one is in a non-science subject...but that many is on the brink of trouble. Just a word of advice, they don't really give a crap about how hard/reputable your school is. I too ran into the same problem and thought like you, but it didn't matter at my home state school, from which I was rejected. If you do not pay attention to anything else I say, please listen to this. MAKE YOUR APPLICATION UNIQUE!!! We had almost 3,000 applications last cycle and only 100 seats. That's 1 seat for every 30 people applying. Stress to them over and over why you would make a better student for their program than any others. Pay attention to the strengths of the school and mold yourself to their core beliefs, i.e.-"your school has a very well-known clinical program and that's what I value most in getting a dental education" -or- "I have always wanted to give back and I realize your school does mission trips/community service more frequently than most" and things like that. Always pay attention to this, they want you to be happy at their school as well.

About dental school (read if you like)

Unfortunately, the science classes you are taking now are VERY watered-down versions of what you will see in dental school. I am a D1 and I never thought school would honestly consume this much of my time just to pass. I went to a very difficult private school for undergrad and I never made anything less than a B+ in my science classes (Bio major). When you get to dental school, you would be just absolutely astonished how hard tests are. You can honestly study for four-six hours per night the whole quarter and feel on top of things and when you take the midterm/final, you feel like you MAY have known half of the questions.I'm pretty sure it's about the same everywhere, but in my first quarter I have taken Restorative Dentistry I Lect/Lab (learn how to wax NOW!!!), Biochem, Medical Physiology, Histo, Gross Anatomy (from hip up), Embryo, and applied clinical anatomy (i.e., heart murmur, sleep apnea, asthma, etc...) lectures. I say all of this to say this, if you think competition is fierce now, wait until you hit D1. I seriously study 5/7 nights per week until about 2/3 in the morning...just to make B/C range.

Don't let this scare you, it did me at first. Some people, myself included, will never be wonderful test takers, no matter how much we study. The faster you learn to accept this, the easier your life will be. Grad school tests are so much different than undergrad it's unbelievable. Here, just knowing the info (fact recall) will get you at best ~40%...in undergrad it was more like ~80% (for me at least). If you've never left a test feeling like you got 50% of the questions right at best...get used to it. It really pisses you off when you study so much and the professor just intends on doing this. You will adjust, and if your dream is to become a dentist, nothing can stand in your way. Just be realistic in the expectations you hold yourself to. I am happy with B's and I know I don't have the agility or the brain power to make all A's. When you guys start dental school, you will seriously be amazed how much info is covered and how it will sneak up on you and bite you in the a*$. You see, in undergrad...I could study on the weekends and get by. Not here, it's just too much to digest. For example, in gross anatomy (if you wait to study until the weekend)...you will go over four lectures that week. For us, it was shoulder, axilla/pectoral, arm/forearm, and wrist/hand. We had to know every single muscle, it's innervation, function, insertion/origin, etc. It would be ok if this were your only class, even then it's a stretch trying to learn/retain that in one weekend. Add on Physio for five lectures-Pulmonary, Renal, Endocrine (omg horrible lol), Cardio, and one more lecture. TONS of formulas you need to learn to manipulate and lots of things that are tricky (certain numbers you have to know when/when not to use). Restorative for a week-two or three wax quizzes, tooth IDs, projects, etc... and then the lecture for Restorative-Incisors, Canines, Premolars, Molars, Primary Dentition....and there you have it. This hasn't even included you going into the lab to work on the cadaver/look at Histo slides.

What do I recommend? Just take it one day at a time. Get a good planner and work everything out to where you're most efficiently using your time. Find a schedule and STICK to it. Your whole first qtr will be a good time (hopefully for you) to learn HOW to study. Again, I was very surprised how different studying for undergrad was from dental school. So, do I enjoy what I do? Yes, I absolutely love it and I hate it as much as I love it...weird huh? You will meet some awesome people in dental school, everyone is in the same boat as you and you learn to make it together as a team. Also, as crazy as everything sounds above, you have to make your priorities straight. If you have a family, don't neglect them completely. I pick two nights/week to take off and spend with my wife, go out to eat, watch a movie, whatever. On my short lecture days, I study all day/night. On the days I have Resto Lab until 5pm I don't study because my brain hurts and I am just too tired to hold anymore. All in all, just be ready to adjust and try to find what works for you. We all study differently, and we break off into group studies based on how we study. Some people (I hate them with everything I have) can memorize the lecture just sitting in it one time (no BS)...some (like me) have to absolutely beat the info into their brains, and others in between of course.

Last edited:
To answer your question directly, I have 3 C's (non-science) on my transcript. Don't trip too much on the Orgo grade...we have LOTS in our class that made B-/C in O-chem. You will never use the crap again, so rest easy. I would recommend you make every other aspect of your app very strong. Get a stellar DAT score, excellent LORs, and have lots and lots of clinical shadowing hours and volunteering. You may want to take some upper level bio classes (genetics, immuno, histo, anatomy, physio, biochem, etc...) and get all A's in them. You do have a lot of C's...which is not good. One or two isn't a big deal, maybe three if one is in a non-science subject...but that many is on the brink of trouble. Just a word of advice, they don't really give a crap about how hard/reputable your school is. I too ran into the same problem and thought like you, but it didn't matter at my home state school, from which I was rejected. If you do not pay attention to anything else I say, please listen to this. MAKE YOUR APPLICATION UNIQUE!!! We had almost 3,000 applications last cycle and only 100 seats. That's 1 seat for every 30 people applying. Stress to them over and over why you would make a better student for their program than any others. Pay attention to the strengths of the school and mold yourself to their core beliefs, i.e.-"your school has a very well-known clinical program and that's what I value most in getting a dental education" -or- "I have always wanted to give back and I realize your school does mission trips/community service more frequently than most" and things like that. Always pay attention to this, they want you to be happy at their school as well.

About dental school (read if you like)

Unfortunately, the science classes you are taking now are VERY watered-down versions of what you will see in dental school. I am a D1 and I never thought school would honestly consume this much of my time just to pass. I went to a very difficult private school for undergrad and I never made anything less than a B+ in my science classes (Bio major). When you get to dental school, you would be just absolutely astonished how hard tests are. You can honestly study for four-six hours per night the whole quarter and feel on top of things and when you take the midterm/final, you feel like you MAY have known half of the questions.I'm pretty sure it's about the same everywhere, but in my first quarter I have taken Restorative Dentistry I Lect/Lab (learn how to wax NOW!!!), Biochem, Medical Physiology, Histo, Gross Anatomy (from hip up), Embryo, and applied clinical anatomy (i.e., heart murmur, sleep apnea, asthma, etc...) lectures. I say all of this to say this, if you think competition is fierce now, wait until you hit D1. I seriously study 5/7 nights per week until about 2/3 in the morning...just to make B/C range.

Don't let this scare you, it did me at first. Some people, myself included, will never be wonderful test takers, no matter how much we study. The faster you learn to accept this, the easier your life will be. Grad school tests are so much different than undergrad it's unbelievable. Here, just knowing the info (fact recall) will get you at best ~40%...in undergrad it was more like ~80% (for me at least). If you've never left a test feeling like you got 50% of the questions right at best...get used to it. It really pisses you off when you study so much and the professor just intends on doing this. You will adjust, and if your dream is to become a dentist, nothing can stand in your way. Just be realistic in the expectations you hold yourself to. I am happy with B's and I know I don't have the agility or the brain power to make all A's. When you guys start dental school, you will seriously be amazed how much info is covered and how it will sneak up on you and bite you in the a*$. You see, in undergrad...I could study on the weekends and get by. Not here, it's just too much to digest. For example, in gross anatomy (if you wait to study until the weekend)...you will go over four lectures that week. For us, it was shoulder, axilla/pectoral, arm/forearm, and wrist/hand. We had to know every single muscle, it's innervation, function, insertion/origin, etc. It would be ok if this were your only class, even then it's a stretch trying to learn/retain that in one weekend. Add on Physio for five lectures-Pulmonary, Renal, Endocrine (omg horrible lol), Cardio, and one more lecture. TONS of formulas you need to learn to manipulate and lots of things that are tricky (certain numbers you have to know when/when not to use). Restorative for a week-two or three wax quizzes, tooth IDs, projects, etc... and then the lecture for Restorative-Incisors, Canines, Premolars, Molars, Primary Dentition....and there you have it. This hasn't even included you going into the lab to work on the cadaver/look at Histo slides.

What do I recommend? Just take it one day at a time. Get a good planner and work everything out to where you're most efficiently using your time. Find a schedule and STICK to it. Your whole first qtr will be a good time (hopefully for you) to learn HOW to study. Again, I was very surprised how different studying for undergrad was from dental school. So, do I enjoy what I do? Yes, I absolutely love it and I hate it as much as I love it...weird huh? You will meet some awesome people in dental school, everyone is in the same boat as you and you learn to make it together as a team. Also, as crazy as everything sounds above, you have to make your priorities straight. If you have a family, don't neglect them completely. I pick two nights/week to take off and spend with my wife, go out to eat, watch a movie, whatever. On my short lecture days, I study all day/night. On the days I have Resto Lab until 5pm I don't study because my brain hurts and I am just too tired to hold anymore. All in all, just be ready to adjust and try to find what works for you. We all study differently, and we break off into group studies based on how we study. Some people (I hate them with everything I have) can memorize the lecture just sitting in it one time (no BS)...some (like me) have to absolutely beat the info into their brains, and others in between of course.

Wow, great post. Thanks for the advice. I feel you on the dental school being much harder thing, in no way am I expecting it to be on par with what I'm facing now. However I feel like I am capable of handling the load I would have to deal with. What I didn't mention in my OP is that my C's in the bio/chem first year were partly the result of me having to go home several times a week (which is a 3 hr drive for me) to take care of my relative who was alone, very sick and needed my help. This story may or may not get me some sympathy but my biggest worry is that as I understand it most adcoms won't even look at your app if the sGPA is below a 3.0. Before I can explain my story I need to have the chance to explain!