Struggling in Freshman Year. Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemistryNerd99

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm about 3 weeks into my college "career" and I am honestly struggling. I'm having a difficult time in calculus. I've always excelled in math, but calc just makes me feel stupid. My grade isn't awful (83), but again, were only 3 weeks in and haven't even started derivatives.

And it's not just calc, I just feel like i'm struggling to get all my work done. I'm doing all my work, and my grades are good, but I have absolutely no life outside of school anymore. So yeah lol I'm having a rough start.

Any advice? In regards to calc or time management

Members don't see this ad.

The first year or two can be rough as they weed out the students that can't handle it. You have to stick with it and build a solid foundation for the harder classes later on. It will be the same in medical school so you should get used to it now. The jump from high school is significant and everyone struggles. Do what is comfortable to you this first semester and find what works for you. Just keep swimming and you will get it down! I didn't have a life all 4 years in undergrad and probably won't in medical school either xD.

P.S. I struggled with math too, didn't make an A in a single math course in college although I am great at math. It's just not what I love, hence I am doing medicine.

Okay so I'm about 3 weeks into my college "career" and I am honestly struggling. I'm having a difficult time in calculus. I've always excelled in math, but calc just makes me feel stupid. My grade isn't awful (83), but again, were only 3 weeks in and haven't even started derivatives.

And it's not just calc, I just feel like i'm struggling to get all my work done. I'm doing all my work, and my grades are good, but I have absolutely no life outside of school anymore. So yeah lol I'm having a rough start.

Any advice? In regards to calc or time management

Totally normal. You can speak to a counselor (likely free through your school) if you're having a tough time adjusting.

I always told younger students to look at school like you job. Either be in class or doing work for 8-9 hours a day and usually things will fall into place for you.

Freshmen year is tough for everyone man. Keep your head up!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Go to office hours
2. GO to office hours
3. Don't procrastinate
4. Prioritize your work and plan out your day and week ahead of time
5. Evaluate the choices you've made thus far and make changes to increase your chance of success
6. Find the best study strategy that you can do well with. Most people struggle because they continue to use the same strategy that obviously isn't working for them.
7. If I think of more and remember to come back, I'll edit them in.

Calc: as many practice problems as you can muster. AND GO TO OFFICE HOURS.

Screwed. Switch to communications.

I only have one question:

How do you feel about living in a tropical environment?