Struggling in gen chem/ organic chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexie090

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice for how to do better in GC and OC. I took a kaplan course and in most of my practice tests I am doing awful in GC and OC. And by awful I mean I haven't gotten more than a 17 in any practice tests in GC or OC.

I bought DAT destroyer and just recently chads videos. All my other sections I have been improving 22+ bio, 20+ PAT, 19+ RC and 16 + QR (which I will be doing DAT destroyer till I take my exam in a week or so)

Members don't see this ad.

You should have bought bootcamp. Mikes videos for GC and OC is included in them, plus 10 full exams.

I don't want to worry you, but if your exam is next week, there is not much you can do to improve those scores. Are you applying this cycle, if not, then you should reschedule your exam to a later date.

You should have bought bootcamp. Mikes videos for GC and OC is included in them, plus 10 full exams.

I don't want to worry you, but if your exam is next week, there is not much you can do to improve those scores. Are you applying this cycle, if not, then you should reschedule your exam to a later date.
Yeah that's worrying. It's upsetting but if I cant improve my scores I will end up applying next cycle. When did you take your exam/what did you score if you dont mind me askin? I'm guessing you used bootcamp?

If there’s any advice I can give you, it’s that your scores play a small role on how you’ll do on the DAT. I was scoring very well on bootcamp with sometimes getting 30 on organic and averaged around 21 on general chemistry. I didn’t end up doing so well on the DAT with getting a 19 on organic and 18 on general chem. It really all depends on the questions you get the day of the exam. If I were you, I’d keep practicing until the test day and see how you feel. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I need some advice for how to do better in GC and OC. I took a kaplan course and in most of my practice tests I am doing awful in GC and OC. And by awful I mean I haven't gotten more than a 17 in any practice tests in GC or OC.

I bought DAT destroyer and just recently chads videos. All my other sections I have been improving 22+ bio, 20+ PAT, 19+ RC and 16 + QR (which I will be doing DAT destroyer till I take my exam in a week or so)
It would be a great idea for you to take the free 2007 Exam that is offered by the ADA, it is easier than the 2018 but it was a legit exam written by the ADA . You should easily score 20 plus on that exam and if not I would consider rescheduling and strengthen any weak areas.

Just my 2 cents.

here is the link to the free ada exam
https://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_test_sampleitems.ashx

Practice makes perfect. The thing with gen chem and organic chem is that you need to understand the material instead of memorize it. Chad's is GREAT to get the fundamentals down. Once you watch his videos, try his practice problems. This will give you an idea if you have an understanding or not. After this, move on to Destroyer and learn the concepts behind all the problems. Once you've done this, try the Bootcamp questions again and don't take the scores personally. They're not made to make you feel like it's easy. If you nail all of these, you should have a great understanding of these sections! best of luck to you!

I honestly used the tutor guy of organic chemistry.
he has a youtube page, then he has has pateron page
his you tube channel is awesome, but if you want a full dat orgo and full gen chem mcat, you only need to pay him 10 dollar a month and get access to 12 hours video on orgo and 15 hours video on gen chem, he also has 12 hours hour dat qr and gre math on his pateron page.
Very cheap, but he is awesome.
if you don't want to pay anything, simply go to his youtube channel, he has 4 hours dat orgo and 5 hours dat genchem.
he is awesome, very meticulous, and his voice is soothing.
If I ever score well, I will really donate like 100 dollar for him.
I really love him.

but I used Chad and Mike, they are awesome as well!

I also did all destroyer..