Struggling Pre-Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khattra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Starting in Fall I will be a senior and have my bachelors in Bio-Anthropology with minors in Communication, Chemistry and maybe Sociology. My overall GPA will be approx 2.5 and I KNOW i have zero chances of getting into any type of medical school with those grades. I am also aware of the fact that even if i retake some of the classes my gpa will not increase by a whole lot. What I need help on is, what are all the different type of things i can do to increase my chances. I am also willing to do any type of Masters program or whatever maybe out there. Also, i will be more than happy to go to a medical school off shores. I have tried looking up programs or schools that maybe suitable with the type of grades I have, but no luck. I would really appreciate if someone can tell me what's out there (different grad programs or school) that i have a shot and from there applying to medical school.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Starting in Fall I will be a senior and have my bachelors in Bio-Anthropology with minors in Communication, Chemistry and maybe Sociology. My overall GPA will be approx 2.5 and I KNOW i have zero chances of getting into any type of medical school with those grades. I am also aware of the fact that even if i retake some of the classes my gpa will not increase by a whole lot. What I need help on is, what are all the different type of things i can do to increase my chances. I am also willing to do any type of Masters program or whatever maybe out there. Also, i will be more than happy to go to a medical school off shores. I have tried looking up programs or schools that maybe suitable with the type of grades I have, but no luck. I would really appreciate if someone can tell me what's out there (different grad programs or school) that i have a shot and from there applying to medical school.

Thank you

You can try out a post-bacc or SMP program, where you will be taking medical school-level classes. However, I'm a little worried that if you have a 2.5, perhaps there is some underlying problem with the way you are managing your time or studying?

Are you confident that you will be able to achieve a near-4.0 in these harder-than-undergrad courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes having too much going on is also a bad indicator. (such as three minors and a major....) Medical schools are going to wonder why you have so many minors instead of focusing on one or two majors and doing them well. I made the same mistake and ended up with three majors and a 3.45 gpa. I would think that doing an SMP would be the best bet to prove academically you can do the coursework. You might also want to think about research or tutoring. GynGyn also points out the benefit of DO schools if that is something you are interested in. Best of luck as you figure out what to do!

Hello all,

Thank you

All I can offer is, I'd avoid the Caribbean. At the very least, make sure you read very carefully around this website and elsewhere before pulling the trigger on what I think everyone can agree would be an extremely risky option.

Three ridiculous minors and a lousy student? Stop kidding yourself, you're nowhere ready for this journey. Come back after living a little. A mature student would have dropped every minor and tried to eat a meal it can chew.