Quantcast

Struggling to determine whether or not to take Biochem.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Cons of taking it:
None of the schools I want to go to require it so my time. If I would get a C, it could potentially drop my science GPA from a 3.44 to a 3.33. The professor I have is notorious at my school for only rewarding A's to the top 20 student of over 150+. I have a job, several volunteering places, and school full time. I may not have the time to devote to ace it.

Pros:
If I ever decide to retake the MCAT, I won't have to teach myself Biochem. Schools might require it in the future and what if I don't get in my first try? I complete a chem minor by taking it. It won't be new during medical school.

I'm just not sure what to do.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. With the kind of defeatist attitude I'm sniffing about you right now you are going to have a hard time avoiding depression and serious serious bouts of self-doubt in medical school and beyond that often cripple young medical professionals and lead to our(!) high rates of suicide.

Anyhow,

What did you get on the MCAT? What other courses are you taking? How many hours are you committing to volunteering/working, and could you back off?

Really, only advantage is the material itself. When I was in your shoes I didn't take any extra science courses that I didn't have to because I was lazy and wanted to have fun in college, and that hurt me on the MCAT, but if you've already taken it then you should be fine until med school itself.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already taken the MCAT.

Last edited: