Struggling To Find Your Best Pocket Knife

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reyesryder

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You are looking for a pocket knife for one simple reason: to have it on hand when you need to perform any tasks. High quality pocket knives can help you get your jobs done quicker and easier. However, picking out a good pocket knife among thousands of options can be a tedious job. People just do not know what to start with; they search for best pocket knives on Google and randomly pick one with affordable price. Not so long after that, they buy a second one.

As the pocket knife is something that will go with you for years, we bet you do not want to spend time and money for the one that does not fit you. So, we listed down some key features to help you identify your needs and requirements previous to making a purchase decision.

1. How will you use your knife?

Before typing “Best pocket knives in the world” on Google, you first need to identify what purposes you are using your knife for and how often you will use it. You gonna use your knife for daily tasks, or you will use it for your camping trips on weekends, or you need it for your job as you are a mechanic.

Then, will your knife usually be exposed to the environment with high humidity or saltwater? You need to pay attention to the environment in which you will use your knife. If you are living in a cold climate region, you may need a knife with a large rough handle so that you can grasp it tightly with your gloved hand.

2. How will you carry it?

Think about your carrying capacity. A construction worker may have very different carrying capacity compared to an office worker or a driver.

How would you like the knife to ride in your pocket: loose or clipped? All of the best folding knife comes with a pocket clip so that the knife will remain vertical in your pocket for quick access. If you prefer a classic knife, high chance that it does not feature a pocket clip so the knife may ride in a horizontal position against your thigh.

3. What style of knife do you like?

When you have got the answer for the two questions above, it is time to look at the designs: do you prefer a tactical or classic model?

Most of the tactical knives go with pocket clip and can be opened with one hand. Some of them are multifunctional that they can simultaneously serve as scissors and tweezers.

Some best rated pocket knives in tactical appearance are Spyderco Paramilitary2, Columbia River Knife, Gerber 06 Combat Fine Edge,…

Classic knives typically have no pocket clip and need to be open by two hands. Classic knives’ handles are often made from wood or bone. While they are not convenient compared to tactical ones, they have good appearance and will never be outdated.

Some top rated pocket knives in classic appearance are Buck Knives Lancer, Opinel No. 8, Fallkniven U2, Boker Wine Knife, Higo no Kami,…

4. Several features to consider

To pick out the best pocket knife that fits your specific needs, here are some essential features you need to consider:

You Might Also Enjoy: https://thekinglive.com/best-pocket-knives.html

Opening system

As mentioned above, tactical models are often one-hand opening knives while classic models are typically two-hand opening knives.

Closing system

A locking knife has blade fixed when it is opened. Having the blade fixed is a critical issue to ensure safety when using a knife, so we usually recommend our customers with a locking knife. However, in some countries, it is illegal to carry locking knife in public places so check your region’s laws first.

Size of the blade

Typically, small blades are often under 3 inches. They are small, light and can be used to perform daily tasks.

Medium blades are between 3 and 4 inches. These medium blades can handle both detailed cuts and heavier jobs, making this the ideal size.

Large blades are over 4 inches. Large blades are usually used for heavy work and are not ideal for carrying.

Some regions also set limitation to the size of the blade, so again, check your region’s laws first.

Material and shape of a knife handle

Classic knives’ handles are usually made from wood or bone while tactical knives' handles are made from metal, plastic, rubber or composite material. The material of the handle will decide whether a knife can float in water, so if you need one that can float, consider Opinel No. 8.

The shape of the handle should be considered based on your hands’ conditions. If you have sweaty hands, you should choose a knife with a larger handle to improve gripping. Otherwise, a slim handle often looks nicer.

Your budget

In fact, one does not need to spend hundreds of dollars to possess the best quality pocket knives. In each price range, there will always be great pocket knives for you to choose:

Economical range – Under $30

Although most of the knives in this range are made from cheap materials and pay less attention to details, there are still good quality ones such as CRKT Drifter, Sanrenmu 710,…

Mid-range – from $30 to $100

Low-mid ($30 - $60)

This is the ideal range for most of the people. Knives in this range are made of better materials and deliver better performance while still in a budget.

High-mid ($60 – $100)

Here you will see an improvement in both design and functionality. People usually choose a knife from high-mid when they are familiar with using a pocket knife.

Some best pocket knives in this range are Ontario Rat II, Buck Knives 110 Hunter, Sog Twitch Ii, Case Trapper, Kizer Mini Sheepdog, Spyderco Tenacious,…

Premium – Over $100

There is nothing to complain about knives in this premium segment. They are made from quality materials and deliver excellent performance.

Some top folding knives in this range are Boker Mother of Pearl, DPx Gear Hest, SOG Arcitech, Victorinox Work Champ XL, Zero Tolerance 0850,…

A pocket knife can serve multiple purposes and has become a must-have item these days. It is with you for simple daily tasks like opening a box or plastic packaging. It comes along on your camping trips to cut the rope and vegetables. Regardless of what purpose you are using it for, your purchase decision process matters. It is our pleasure to be a part of that process.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to get Uworld. Best pound for pound resource as far as I’m concerned.

Also use quicklet. Very efficient for studying on the go. Can even use shared study decks.

Study before sleep for increased retention. If you can, get up at 5:30am and go for a run while listening to a YouTube lecture or podcast on the content you reviewed the night before. This sets the tone for your day.

Study in chunks, flipping from section to section every .25 hours.

And always remember practice questions >>> content review (assuming you know the fundamental concepts)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’m at a 507-504 for the mcat (yes used aamc FLs 1, 2, respectively) and decided to push it back to January. I work 3 days (full day) a week, volunteering for about 9 hours per week, and have an organization that I founded that needs at least part-time dedication (5 hours per day for 4 days a week) from me.

That leaves me with a delimma. My schedule is p.a.c.k.e.d.

I wad told that I need to extend my mcat studying hours and reduce my volunteering time. Should I do that? My biggest concern is that I haven’t been able to get many hours last year during COVID, so I need to get 800-1000 hours in each category (as referred to by LizzyZ’s metrics) of clinical and no clinical hours this gap year.

What should I do?
So @LizzyM said you need 800-1000 hours each in clinical and nonclinical areas? I missed that entirely. You might have to just put off applying a year or two to get those hours and that would work well for MCAT prep too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes! I feel like my word is being taken as gospel and that scripture is being misquoted.

If you have a gap year, you have about 2000 hours (40 hrs/wk x 50 wks). It is nice to have a full-time gig during a gap year but you need not divide that evenly into two part-time activities.

Frankly, having 150 hours in clinical experience (paid or unpaid) and 150 hours of community service (usually unpaid but might also pay a stipend such as City Year) puts you in the "very good" category. Having at least 150 hours in one category and at least 1000 hours in the other, puts you at the top of the heap. No need to split and go half and half.

Reactions: 4 users
You need to get Uworld. Best pound for pound resource as far as I’m concerned.

Also use quicklet. Very efficient for studying on the go. Can even use shared study decks.

Study before sleep for increased retention. If you can, get up at 5:30am and go for a run while listening to a YouTube lecture or podcast on the content you reviewed the night before. This sets the tone for your day.

Study in chunks, flipping from section to section every .25 hours.

And always remember practice questions >>> content review (assuming you know the fundamental concepts)

Good luck!
No...just no. Studying right before sleep? Filling your morning runs with Youtube lectures? This is how you get burnt to a crisp by winter of M1 year. There is absolutely no reason to jam a bunch of activities into your MCAT studying period. No amount of volunteering or clinical hours will overcome a sub-500 MCAT, MD or DO, other than the obvious exceptions if it is right below 500.

Save that kind of "work every minute of the day" stuff for M3 year and residency. Don't burn out before you even start the race.

Reactions: 5 users
If you cut 3 hours of volunteer work and 5 hours of organization work, that would give you an extra 8 hours per week of study time.

Reactions: 1 users