Struggling with an "anything else" essay from U of A - Phoenix

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I posted this on the school-specific thread but would appreciate some feedback from y'all.

Arizona's last essay has the prompt: Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Items to consider: connection(s) to Phoenix and/or our medical community, your plan during this application season, gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges. Do not repeat any information already mentioned in the primary or secondary applications. (Optional)

I was going to either A) leave this essay blank, B) talk about my upcoming plans (but nothing has changed from what I put in my primary W/A section, or C) talk about a challenge from my upbringing that connects to certain service opportunities in Phoenix I would like to participate in as a student.

However, a separate section of Phoenix's secondary has you recategorize entries from your AMCAS work/activity section to fit their core competencies. I fulfilled all of their requirements, except I have no activities on my application I could designate as a "hobby." When I saved this section, I was met with this prompt: [This section includes] interests outside of the classroom/career, e.g. baking, exercising, hiking, music, etc. If you do not have an experience to fulfill at this competency, please explain in the Supplemental Application, essay #7.

Now, I obviously have hobbies. I just didn't talk about them in my AMCAS primary. So now I have an option D) for this "anything else" essay: talk about a hobby of mine to address this competency.

So which of my four options should I go with here? Thanks all!

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Looks like it is specifically asking you to discuss your hobbies.
So that prompt automatically appears if you do not check any of the core competencies. If you say you don’t have any clinical volunteering, shadowing experience, etc I see why you should write an essay about it. I just can’t imagine that they truly want me to write an essay about why I didn’t include my love of baking in my amcas primary application.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.