Struggling with Career Decision- PT or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocTAP87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anybody here ever struggled with their next move after undergrad? PT or medical school? I'm a PT Tech, exercise instructor/personal trainer. I have been enthusiastic about PT for years. I'm nearing the end of my undergrad and a doctor friend asked me why I haven't considered medical school. He made good points (a year long, full scope of practice, way more money) which piqued my interest so I bought a book about osteopathic medicine. At first, it seemed perfect. But then I shadowed a primary care doc and it wasn't for me, I witnessed a surgery, it had complications, despite the excitement it definitely was not for me. I like the manual therapy and exercise to help people.

Then I read about PM&R but felt let down by that when I learned they don't actually carry out much of the treatment. Finally, I found that DOs can often open their own OMM clinics or even specialize in NMM/OMM. If I was going to become a DO, this is probably what I would do.

So, I'm really stuck. To be a DO requires another two semesters of classes, 4 years of med school and then either residency or I just start working after internship. DOs make way more money, I still get to help people with manipulation and maybe even exercise by continuing my personal training certification and I have a full scope of practice.

PT is three years, no additional semesters, limited scope of practice and a lower reimbursement. The option does exist to open a PT clinic though.

Despite all of the benefits that DO seems to offer, I keep going right back to PT and I get pretty excited about it all over again. So have any of you struggled with your career choice? Did you end up going with PT? Are you happy?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I was also in a similar situation but with business. My advice would be to do what makes you happy and what you're passionate about. Don't worry about money, especially when you're comparing 2 professions that have potential to make quite a lot (it's not like you are deciding between music vs med school). When you're passionate and open minded, opportunities are going to come your way. When you follow your interests, I promise you'll start gaining more clarity. We're too young and life is too goddamn precious to live it with practicality and logic... follow your heart. I followed mine and I don't regret anything; I actually ended up mixing both of my passions for business and PT (you can check out this investors pitch if you want proof ). I hope this helps. You got this.

-Justin

Reactions: 1 users
I was also in a similar situation but with business. My advice would be to do what makes you happy and what you're passionate about. Don't worry about money, especially when you're comparing 2 professions that have potential to make quite a lot (it's not like you are deciding between music vs med school). When you're passionate and open minded, opportunities are going to come your way. When you follow your interests, I promise you'll start gaining more clarity. We're too young and life is too goddamn precious to live it with practicality and logic... follow your heart. I followed mine and I don't regret anything; I actually ended up mixing both of my passions for business and PT (you can check out this investors pitch if you want proof ). I hope this helps. You got this.

-Justin

Justin,

Thank you so much for your very helpful post. My passion for physical therapy goes beyond money and I feel that every time I work with my elderly and/or disabled clients, the MS/Parkinsons exercise group or really any client with a physical disability or pain. Even walking around the PT department at University of MI-Flint, I feel right at home. I have to keep that in mind every time I'm tempted by money.

Thanks again for replying.

-Travis

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you know what you want. Just keep an open-mind and give your passion everything you got. Lets get it Travis. You can always message me if you have questions along the way if you would like another perspective. Good luck.

-Justin

Find a DO that does what you're interested in and shadow? Realize that as a DO you will never get to know your patients even 10% as well as you will as a PT. Most docs in the orthopedic world spend less than 15mins at a time with a patient.

Reactions: 1 users