Struggling with old material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellyk12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I started studying for the MCAT which I plan to take September 19th. I did physics yesterday (something Ive always been awful at), and today I am working on chemistry. Ive noticed that I dont remember a lot of this material from my courses even though it is basic work (Example: How to figure out valence electrons, electron configuration, and maximum number of electrons in a level). Has this happened to anyone else? I am beginning to worry that I just dont remember enough from school to even take the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It gets better as you go through. After doing questions, you'll recognize more and more of the material. Just keep chipping away a little every day.

Its totally fine. As @PlsLetMeIn21 mentioned, just keep going at it. It'll come back and even if it doesn't come back entirely the idea is that you are familiar with it so as you study you'll become more and more familiar and be able to answer the practice questions accordingly. As you study sometimes you do forget what you studied a couple weeks ago, at that point designate and set aside 1 hr or 2 to review stuff that you're worried about or know you forgot.