Struggling with second pass of First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharklasers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how to make this go by better? First pass was bad, but at least I had a goal in mind.

Its hard to make it through page by page reading every word when everything already looks so familiar.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, i just went through this last week. It's so much harder to stay focused the second time through. I just tried to focus more on some of the mnemonics and small details and purposefully didn't even read some of the main points, because I would then just stop paying attention since it did look familiar.

Have you done questions yet? If not, knock out about a week's worth and come back to it.

It's easier to read after doing some questions because you have some experience applying the information as opposed to memorizing it and also you'll know how the information is presented in question form and therefore what to focus on.

Good luck!

Half of FA is invisible to you until after you finish a Qbank. Do a Qbank and come back to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Half of FA is invisible to you until after you finish a Qbank. Do a Qbank and come back to it.
This. You have no idea how many things I swore I'd never seen before until I got a Qbank question on it and back-referenced First Aid.

Any tips on how to make this go by better? First pass was bad, but at least I had a goal in mind.

Its hard to make it through page by page reading every word when everything already looks so familiar.

Currently trying to find the energy to finish up my 4th pass...man up

Damn... I'm spending like 3 weeks on my first pass of FA... should I move faster then? so I have more time for my second round (which I only gave myself 5.... I'm starting to think my schedule is messed up!)

You will get the maximum benefit from first aid by using it as a source to refer to when doing questions. You have to be an ACTIVE learner, just sitting there reading it and trying to drill it into your head is unlikely to give you your best result. Get those neurons firing!

Survivor DO

I'm almost on day 20 of my first pass. Probably will only get through it one time, but I'm extensively studying it and reviewing a ton during qbank. To me reviewing qbank answers is just as good as first aid and I read first aid a lot while going through qbank if I wasn't comfortable on a topic. I like this better than just reading as fast as possible.

Lol, aren't you scoring ~87% in Uworld?

Now you are complaining that you know FA too well?

Lol, aren't you scoring ~87% in Uworld?

Now you are complaining that you know FA too well?

Sorry guys should have mentioned I have already done a pass of UWorld during the school year!

And 87% might be great, but it's a second pass so I hardly count it haha.

I somehow did find the motivation after I made this post though!

And 4 passes of first aid? How do you even have time for that lol

Sorry guys should have mentioned I have already done a pass of UWorld during the school year!

You're gunning on an SDN level, which is impressive.

Well I'm not really a 250 level guy, so in place of a 2nd pass of UW I decided I'd put in as many passes of FA as I could. At 87% even if it is a 2nd pass I'm guessing you'll be fine. Just buckle down and push through that 2nd pass, be astonished at how much you missed from your first pass

You're gunning on an SDN level, which is impressive.

How lol I'm certainly not trying to put anyone done. Just saying that getting 87% of questions right when you ahve seen 100% of them really doesnt say much, in my opinion.

But I've found that skipping sections has really helped me, for what its worth. Like neuro-pharm, then repro-anatomy, etc. I guess if anyone else is having issues with first aid, this might be a new approach to change things up.

Edit - sorry if i am coming off like i am whining or something, just figured i couldn't be the only one in a slump. and no matter how well someone does, there will always be people who do better and always be people who do worse, but that is no reason to not try and be ambitious and do as well as possible!

Last edited: