Stuck up students in your MS 1 class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonic Wig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bump

Members don't see this ad.

It's a chronic affliction in doctoral programs--those people are immutably convinced that their enrollment is affirmation of their status as The Universe's Most Unstoppable Intellect<sup>TM</sup>. There's not much you can do about them; just don't let it get to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some women confuse bitchiness with assertiveness. An equal number of men confuse arrogance with competence or sexual prowess.

-Todd MSIV

Originally posted by Sonic Wig
Hey - after a few weeks of med school, waht do you think of the people in your class?

Some of the people in my class are so snotty, like there all that or that there **** doesn't stink. And it seems to be many of the females with this prissy behavior. The guys seem pretty much ok.
maybe it's because I'm female.

Anyone with bitchy or stick up students in your class?

Just don't worry about it. I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks so. It may take a while, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that if you give people enough rope, they'll invariably make their own noose and hang themselves.

Something to think about before writing off your classmates as total jerks is that you are probably seeing them at their worst. The stress of starting med school and suffering through gross can bring out the negative aspects of people's personality. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to know some of my classmates better as a M2 and M3 at how different they were from how they seemed as M1s.

man, my poo WREAKS sometimes. Thank god for lysol. Im a veritable chem. weapon.

Originally posted by phllystyl
man, my poo WREAKS sometimes. Thank god for lysol. Im a veritable chem. weapon.

reeks? :)p)

those baby wipes come in handy. especially for stinkin' poo on camping trips. :D

i am shocked at how cool and nice everybody in my class is... the atmosphere at tech is awesome,

people here seem to work hard and play hard. I love my class so far and the second years here are awesome too.

peace

Omar

Originally posted by GoodMonkey

those baby wipes come in handy. especially for stinkin' poo on camping trips. :D

Maybe it's so dangerous that it really can wreak. Y'know, like havoc, death, destruction, and all that fun stuff. :eek:

Originally posted by Zweihander
Maybe it's so dangerous that it really can wreak. Y'know, like havoc, death, destruction, and all that fun stuff. :eek:

:laugh:

I was shocked by how cool everyone is too. I mean, I made a history of absolutely hating pre-meds at undergrad, and for good reason -- they were all hypergunners that had no outside lives, no real social interests, and no good justification for wanting to be a doctor: they only think they want to be doctors. Thank god I had crew, where most of my friends/teammates were nonscience majors. But yeah, despite being surrounded by former premeds, I love the environment that I'm in, and it's a testament to my school's admission program that they admitted complete people, not just rocket scientists. I might still be ******* 1 at school, but at least people aren't making me feel bad about it!

don't worry they will turn on you when it counts. right now everyone is in undercover mode until it is safe to reveal their identities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say no more than 30-40% of my class is at all "cool," about 30-40% belong in a Greek organization doing bong hits and smoking ganja, and the remaining folks are just plain a$$holes. But that's coming from me, and I don't like most people.

Originally posted by Tazmaniac
Some women confuse bitchiness with assertiveness
Like my ex-girlfriend. Evil in human form, I'm telling you.

to the op. . .how do you know that the girls in your class are snobs? maybe they are just out of their element and a little bit closed off around people they don't know well.

How much interaction have you actually had with these snotty girls. Are you observing this from the back row of the lecture hall. Try sitting down to lunch with one of them and maybe you'll find something redeaming.

It seems like it's a class culture thing... My class seems to be fairly gunner material (best scores in year) but we never interact, except in cliques. Parties that are thrown are barely attended...

The class ahead of us was a bunch of party-going, smoking, nutcases who were renowned for their procrastination and made our class miserable (lecturers changed their course material b/c of them, making us suffer through their mistakes)...

Then the class after ours is totally fun, a bunch of smart kids who organize fun events, participate in them, built a class website, and all that kind of jazzy stuff...

Makes me jealous to be in my *boring* class...

I think, after a while, your class will get an "identity" and you'll just have to go along w/ it... So if you want to define that identity, try to get your classmates together and go for whatever you shoot for, whether it be academia or fun...

Just my 2 cents...

Originally posted by GoodMonkey

It can get so bad that it interferes with my spelling faculties.

Don't worry. It's only a matter of months before the same people are BEATEN DOWN by everyone else, BEATEN DOWN by interns and residents, and BEATEN DOWN by faculty.

The bigger their heads, the harder they pop.

You guys think mere med students are a-holes? I was doing a 4th-year surgery rotation at a major hospital in Florida and there were a couple of attendings there that utterly refused to speak to any med students, one even wouldn't even interact with the interns. It was so weird...to the point that they would pretend you weren't even there during rounds. There was a girl from the same med school in Florida that we were rotating at and she asked one of the surgeons a question and he flat out pretended that he didn't hear her, even when she said "excuse me Dr" and asked him again. One of the nurses there just shook her head and gave him a dirty look behind his back as he walked away from the student as if she didn't exist.

Originally posted by uclacrewdude
I was shocked by how cool everyone is too. I mean, I made a history of absolutely hating pre-meds at undergrad, and for good reason -- they were all hypergunners that had no outside lives, no real social interests, and no good justification for wanting to be a doctor: they only think they want to be doctors. Thank god I had crew, where most of my friends/teammates were nonscience majors. But yeah, despite being surrounded by former premeds, I love the environment that I'm in, and it's a testament to my school's admission program that they admitted complete people, not just rocket scientists. I might still be ******* 1 at school, but at least people aren't making me feel bad about it!

awwww honey we love you too! plus you make us laugh... :D

The people at my school seem pretty cool. I am hypersensitive to feeling excluded (I hated high school, college somewhat better), but I feel comfortable walking up to almost any one in our class. It's a real mix of ethnicities, viewpoints, and strengths, and it works. I am so psyched to be here! :D

When I worked in the ED, during the really crazy shifts, I would find myself getting into pissing matches even with nurses whom I adored (and who adored me). Stress gets to people, but it passes. We all play kissy, make up, and get back to work, and having fun. School will probably be the same.

Originally posted by Sonic Wig
Hey - after a few weeks of med school, waht do you think of the people in your class?

Some of the people in my class are so snotty, like there all that or that there **** doesn't stink. And it seems to be many of the females with this prissy behavior. The guys seem pretty much ok.
maybe it's because I'm female.

Anyone with bitchy or stick up students in your class?

yes, these types of people are in every med school class in every single med school in the country. It's a universal phenomonen, and there's no point pretending it doesn't exist as some are doing on here. My grandmother always thought she was giving great advice when she told my cousin "just be nice to those kids in your class and they'll be nice to you, honey!" However, this same woman somehow failed to realize that being nice to her alcoholic husband who drank away the family savings and treated her like garbage didn't make him into a sweetheart. just stay clear of the people who annoy you as much as you can for now, and if you end up having a different impression during 3rd year great, if not, you'll survive. it is perfectly OK to NOT like everyone on the planet, in spite of what the SDN peanut gallery often says.

Try to look at it from a different point of view OP...if you can tolerate someone at their worst, than perhaps that person could become one of your closest friends

If that's the worst that they can get, and you can stand that then um...(Lost train of thought ;p )

Sometimes, you have to hate someone first to like them