1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

stuck writing the personal statement =(

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by littoohri, Jun 21, 2008.

1. littoohri

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm almost done with my general application (just need to edit my essays). I sent my advisor my PS and she said it was "really good and solid" but that I didn't really address my philosophy and goals. So now I'm trying to edit but I really don't understand what to write for the philosophy part. In the draft that I sent to my advisor, I briefly mentioned something along the lines of: medicine is about putting other's needs before mine, etc. Should I elaborate on that idea or put other philosophy stuff in there? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ripsta

ripsta dog zero.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    List real-life examples and briefly elaborate on them.

4. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What you said above isn't all that personal. Unless you got more specific in the body of your essay, I think that's what your advisor meant. Why do you think medicine is about putting others needs before your own? What specifically made you come to that conclusion? What experience(s) have you had that have solidified this theory in your mind? You have to answer these questions because that's what makes it personal. Without those, it's just an essay about medicine.

5. littoohri

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I actually did write about my experiences (working at a camp for disabled children). So I wrote this really long, detailed paragraph about my experience there and how we had to put the campers ahead of us in all situations, etc etc. Then to tie it up, I put that general conclusion at the end of the paragraph. That's why I'm so confused at what she was saying. =/

6. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How did working with the disabled children convince you medicine was right for you? There are a lot of careers where you put others first. So what was it about that experience that lured you towards medicine instead of, say, a special ed teacher?

7. 87138

87138 Guest

Medical Student

I know I'm simplifying things, but it's not exactly a strong personal statement if you're basically saying:

I want to be a doctor. I worked at a camp with disabled children. I put their needs before my own. That's what doctors do. I want to be a doctor.

You don't need to uncover any new universal truths, or string together a theory on what the perfect doctor embodies. But you do need to be able to develop a narrative of sorts explaining perhaps how you came to know that medicine was the career you wanted. There is much more to being a doctor than putting the needs of people ahead of yours. That's what CNAs, janitors, flight attendants, etc do. Pretty much the majority of jobs in the world are about helping others. Why medicine?

8. littoohri

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hm, you guys have a good point.

The part about the camp was just a part of my essay explaining what I think Medicine is about (the philosophy question). I shadowed various doctors, was a CNA, went to a health-related high school, volunteered at the hospital, etc. That was why I said I wanted to be a doctor along with getting interested in medicine with the different procedures I saw. There were also doctors who volunteered at the camp that made me want to do the same thing in the future.

So I feel like the "why medicine" question was answered in my essay. My problem is- I'm a little confused about the philosophy part. =(

9. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Who told you there had to be a philosophy part?

10. littoohri

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    this was my prompt:

Explain your motivation to seek a career in MEDICINE. Discuss your philosophy of the medical profession and indicate your goals relevant to the profession. (Limited to 62 lines and 80 characters per line)

11. littoohri

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You know, I never really thought about that. But the thing is, I'm just more interested in helping people with the most basics of their needs. Since I'm interested in a career that puts others first, disabilities, health, AND doing missions, Medicine is the best choice for me. I want to work with children and this includes but is not limited to disabled children. One thing that everyone needs, regardless of religion, sex, ethnicity is medicine.

Thanks alot for that question though, I think editing just got a little easier =D

12. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think our answers will vary depending upon interpretation of the prompt. To me, philosophy of the medical profession means what you think medicine is all about vs. some big philosophical angle trying to intersect you and the universe. It's a personal statement so I'd stray from getting too philosophical in favor of being more personal. Let them get to know you and like you. It's a lot harder to reject someone you like :)

13. FLDoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Medicine takes more than the desire to help people and place others before yourself

Consider this:
    -if all you want to do is assist the underprivlaged with their health related issues, why not persue a career that takes significantly less time and money to begin (RN, PA, NP, etc.)?

-what differentiates the health professions (compensation is not a good reason) and why is physician the only choice for you?