Berry0770

2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
I'm trying to figure out how to best interpret the Internship Placement Table within the Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data.
Specifically, I am wondering how to interpret this subsection: "Students who sought or applied for internships including those who withdrew from the application process."

Does withdrawing from the application process mean that the students were rejected from the internships they applied to? Or could it have been a life situation? Or both?

I know that match rates are important. But as I evaluate grad school programs, I don't know what to make of the "withdrawal" section since we don't get to see why the students withdrew.

Does anyone have thoughts? Thanks in advance!

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I'm trying to figure out how to best interpret the Internship Placement Table within the Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data.
Specifically, I am wondering how to interpret this subsection: "Students who sought or applied for internships including those who withdrew from the application process."

Does withdrawing from the application process mean that the students were rejected from the internships they applied to? Or could it have been a life situation? Or both?

I know that match rates are important. But as I evaluate grad school programs, I don't know what to make of the "withdrawal" section since we don't get to see why the students withdrew.

Does anyone have thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Withdrawing indicates that they withdrew their applications prior to the match. It could have been for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: 1 user

Justanothergrad

Counseling Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2013
It would be atypical for a program to have a large number of APPIC withdrawals. Interpret that as you will. I would be hesitant to be abnormal in this sense, personally.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
It would be atypical for a program to have a large number of APPIC withdrawals.

Well, most programs, anyway. At least in the past, I've heard of some programs, usually the mills, "strongly" encourage their students to withdraw if they did poorly in getting interviews or got none. May not be as big of an issue now that there are more spots than applicants. But yeah, if there were a consistent pattern of students withdrawing from the match, huge red flag. I only remember one student withdrawing ever in our program and it was due to needing to take a year to deal with a family medical issue that arose.

Reactions: 2 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads