Student-Athlete chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CougarTennis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Played a Division I sport for four years in College. I have 3.1 overall and 3.0 sGPA, taking the MCAT in June. I was planning on applying this cycle to mainly DO schools. Does anybody know how much schools take into account playing a sport in college? Also, do you guys think I could get into a DO school with a decent MCAT? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how much schools take into account playing a sport in college?

Well, they would give you an advantage, except tennis isn't really a sport :rolleyes: (JK)

Anyway, here's generally how sports function: they are a great extra-curricular activity...and that's all. They are not an excuse for a sub-par GPA, despite how many hours collegiate sports consume.

As far as a DO acceptance, I'd say you should probably work on the GPA a bit before applying. What have you been averaging on your MCAT? I'd say a target of at least 27 would be good (maybe a little higher to make up for the GPA).

I just wanted to say, at least based on personal experience, schools definitely seem to understand the intense commitment required to participate in D1 athletics all 4 years--

I wanted to give you some hope, as well as reality, because before I was applying I saw posts like yours and others and assumed I was going to have no chance...

But This season I received 8 interviews and 2 acceptances (so far), all MD, with a 3.35 and 33 as a 4 year D-1 athlete. Now, definitely a 3.0 is lower than that so make of it what you will, and shoot to get a great MCAT.

Also, I had LOTS of other great ECs as well-- though I do think athletics are seen as more than "just another EC" they are not an excuse not to have medically related experiences, research, etc. though I would say I had much less standard clinical volunteering than expected. But they understand its harder to study all the time and get perfect grades with a 30+ hr/wk commitment, that is also exhausting!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
They may take it into account a lot more if you score really well on your MCAT, proving that you know the material and just had issues with time management and whatnot in college. Especially with DO schools, I would say that you have a fairly good chance. Good luck!

I just wanted to say, at least based on personal experience, schools definitely seem to understand the intense commitment required to participate in D1 athletics all 4 years--

I wanted to give you some hope, as well as reality, because before I was applying I saw posts like yours and others and assumed I was going to have no chance...

But This season I received 8 interviews and 2 acceptances (so far), all MD, with a 3.35 and 33 as a 4 year D-1 athlete. Now, definitely a 3.0 is lower than that so make of it what you will, and shoot to get a great MCAT.

Also, I had LOTS of other great ECs as well-- though I do think athletics are seen as more than "just another EC" they are not an excuse not to have medically related experiences, research, etc. though I would say I had much less standard clinical volunteering than expected. But they understand its harder to study all the time and get perfect grades with a 30+ hr/wk commitment, that is also exhausting!

Good luck!

Which schools did you get accepted to? i'm in a similar situation.