Student athlete/pre-dental (is it possible)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpayne03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my situation. I played baseball at George Mason for a year, got by with a 3.0. This past year I was driven to get great grades, and that alone. I had a 3.9 through 33 credits without playing baseball. I've been fortunate enough to be offered a full-ride (granted my tuition is nothing like Mason being only 5300 a year) with benefits to the school I'm now attending. For the fall season, I have to attend Friday practices, and meet with the coach two other times during the week for an hour long one-on-one session whenever I'm available. During the spring I will have to attend the practices during the week I can make, as well as travel on the weekends, which include a double header on both Saturday and Sunday.

Schedule for this coming fall:
Organic I
Physics I
Calculus
Human A&P I

My question is whether or not the work required for getting GOOD grades, while playing baseball under the said terms are possible? Is it worth it? I want to be a dentist, because that is my dream. On the other hand, I love baseball, and I'd love to see where I could go with that. While playing in the Valley League I was handed questionaires from both Baltimore and Texas, which was last summer. This summer, I'm being told I have a great chance to be invited to Baltimore's spring training this year if I maintain.

Is playing minor league baseball making next to nothing with a near zero chance of ever making it big worth the experience of possibly of throwing away my future in dentisty? I would love some advice from someone faced with this circumstance, or anything remotely close. I've thought it out tirously and I believe the best answer could only come from someone with experience.

Like the great Jason Aldean once said,
"Like a one way I lose everything, I go the other way same thing. I'm torn, and it's tearing me apart."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my situation. I played baseball at George Mason for a year, got by with a 3.0. This past year I was driven to get great grades, and that alone. I had a 3.9 through 33 credits without playing baseball. I've been fortunate enough to be offered a full-ride (granted my tuition is nothing like Mason being only 5300 a year) with benefits to the school I'm now attending. For the fall season, I have to attend Friday practices, and meet with the coach two other times during the week for an hour long one-on-one session whenever I'm available. During the spring I will have to attend the practices during the week I can make, as well as travel on the weekends, which include a double header on both Saturday and Sunday.

Organic I
Physics I
Calculus
Human A&P I

My question is whether or not the work required for getting GOOD grades, while playing baseball under the said terms are possible? Is it worth it? I want to be a dentist, because that is my dream. On the other hand, I love baseball, and I'd love to see where I could go with that. While playing in the Valley League I was handed questionaires from both Baltimore and Texas, which was last summer. This summer, I'm being told I have a great chance to be invited to Baltimore's spring training this year if I maintain.

Is playing minor league baseball making next to nothing with a near zero chance of ever making it big worth the experience of possibly of throwing away my future in dentisty? I would love some advice from someone faced with this circumstance, or anything remotely close. I've thought it out tirously and I believe the best answer could only come from someone with experience.

"Like a one way I lose everything, I go the other way same thing. I'm torn, and it's tearing me apart."

Not a very easy schedule. Do what you love. I would maybe throw out one of those courses and add something lighter. Just my 2 cents.

My question is whether or not the work required for getting GOOD grades, while playing baseball under the said terms are possible? Is it worth it?

Is playing minor league baseball making next to nothing with a near zero chance of ever making it big worth the experience of possibly of throwing away my future in dentisty?

Whether you can do it depends on you. Whether you want to do it depends on you.

I was not a student athlete, but one of my best friends gave up her sport after a year because she wanted good grades so she could make it to medical school and to maintain a social life. It worked for her. I know she was a little sad about it sometimes, but she never regretted it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a Division 1 student-athlete (Track and Field) and I am currently applying to denral schools. My teammate was a successful runner and got accepted into UCLA dental school. It can be done, but it's the rough life....For me at least.

I totally understand your situation. Been there. Ive felt caught between two very significant worlds: my future(academic success) and track

The pros: being a collegiate athlete is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. In fact, it's likely the last opportunity to play your sport. It's SO different from HS. Plus, physical activity is invaluable for learning. Research has demonstrated time and time again how beneficial exercise is for studying! Plus, a busy schedule tends to induce productivity. I think it makes you stand out to admissions committees, too.

Cons: Practicing low on sleep sucks! Games/meets can take up your entire day and sometimes your entire weekend. Get use to being busy.

There's a lot more to be said. PM me if you want to talk!! Ive been through it!

While I was shadowing, students from a dental school came in to the clinic for rotations. During these rotations, two young men told me they were both football players (division I), and one even went to the National Championship. It can be done!

That schedule is definitely a tough one, though... baseball or not. Try to see if you can have a different combination of courses.

The only thing that worried me about your post is calling Jason Aldean "great" :)

I'm only a Sophomore right now, but I am regretting my decision already to not continue with soccer and play at the collegiate level. I don't know what that means for your situation, but I will likely regret it for the rest of my life. However, I would regret not becoming a doctor even more. It's a really tough decision. If I could do things over, I would have taken a lighter course load and played soccer. Again, only you know what you are capable of.

Physcis and Calculus in the same semester? it's going to be nasty. Wouldn't it be better if you choose either Calc/phy to be completed in summer?

Alot of people have things that regret. Like me taking Physical Chemistry, Biochemistry, and molecular biology in the same semester. The only good thing that came out of it was that biochem and molec was pretty similar information.

Alot of people have things that regret. Like me taking Physical Chemistry, Biochemistry, and molecular biology in the same semester. The only good thing that came out of it was that biochem and molec was pretty similar information.
Do you think Biochemistry 1, Physics 2, and a Neuroscience class is too much for one quarter?

Hahahaha! Sounds like the semester I decided Genetics, Organic Chem, and Calculus (in addition to a language class, which was my fun class) was a great idea. I was so, so wrong.

But to answer the OP: One of my good friends was a field hockey player and an engineering major. It was really hard and there were times she struggled through it, but it ended up working out well for her. I would see if you could lighten your course load. Maybe switch out calculus for something else and do that over the summer, and add an easier class to your schedule instead.

Organic I
Physics I
Calculus
Human A&P I

Bro I took calculus, chem 1, biology and calc 1 in the same semester with a music class I wanted to take (labs also). Made a 4.0. Maybe ex out orgo because thats a little intense. A and P is not near the difficulty as the other 3. You're playing a sport? Play it right man. Don't kill your GPA it means a lot if you are considering Dent. Wise decisions will save you.

NCAA Football and Basketball would be nearly impossible.

Organic I
Physics I
Calculus
Human A&P I

Schedule will be rough. Drop one of those courses, or try and see if you can knock one of those out this summer. As for "will it be worth it?" - Well, that's honestly a question that you will have to answer yourself. Being a sports fanatic, I know how it works. If you see yourself playing professional baseball, then you have to devote most of your life to it. I would honestly try the pro's first. If that doesn't work out, then dentistry would be a great back-up plan. Most professional athletes that have been in your shoes have elected to go this route. I remember Myron Rolle was drafted by the NFL in 2010 and he was a Rhodes Scholar. I think he had a 3 year NFL career, but then retired and applied to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
NCAA Football and Basketball would be nearly impossible.
I remember this guy who played football for some team like Stanford or something a couple of years ago. His GPA was like 4.1 and he was going to go to medical school after college. So it can be done, however, he must have been amazing at time management!

One of the dentists I shadowed was a DI football player. He also found the time to reach 500+ volunteer hours. He said his grades suffered, but he ended up getting admitted to ASDOH. So is it possible? Of course it is. More difficult? No question. It just depends on what your capabilities are. If you're able to handle it, then it'll be a great thing to have on your apps. If not and you're certain dentistry is your calling, then you'll need to consider giving up your sport.

I played two sports at the DI level my whole time in college and finished with fine grades as well as plenty of volunteer hours. It is definitely possible. Just a lot of time management and focus. PM me and I'd be happy to talk with you about it. @cpayne03

Last edited:
I ended up declining the offer. I know I could do it, but I think I'd be happier spending those extra hours off school going on a date with my girlfriend or hanging out with some friends. Baseball can always be a summer thing, and if something may become of it, then that's great. When I added up all the hours it would take traveling, practicing, going to class, and studying, it came down to 7 free hours a week...not even enough time to eat, get up in the morning and get ready or get ready for bed at night. Sometimes you have to give to receive I guess. I'll tell you guys what though, I better get into dental school!!! Cause it sure does suck giving up an opportunity like that. Thank you all for the advice..I took it all into consideration

Reactions: 1 users
Just as an update, I ended up doing well through the course of the year. The grades I recieved were
Organic 1/L- A/B
Organic 2/L- A/A
Human A&P 1- B
Human A&P 2- A
Physics 1/L- B/A
Physics 2/L- B/A
Calculus- A
Genetics- B

It was a realllllly stressful year, and I would hate to have to do it over. My advice to anyone thinking about taking on a schedule like this would be to really buckle down, study hard and go for it. Although I think I would have gotten better grades in each class if I had spread them out a little, I think it will help in the long run. First, I think dental school acceptance committee probably look favorably on a tough schedule. Second, I think it will be a little easier to adjust to the rigors of dental school once I'm accepted, hopefully.

Good luck this cycle! Not many of us have turned down college sports for dentistry and that shows your sacrifice

Just finished my third year wrestling at a big ten university and I am applying this cycle. Its very demanding but it is possible. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anyrhing. Good luck!

Just finished my third year wrestling at a big ten university and I am applying this cycle. Its very demanding but it is possible. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anyrhing. Good luck!
I'm a former student-athlete too (Mountain West Football) and lemme just tell you, schools love that, it wasa topic of conversation at all of my interviews

Yeah I am hoping that they regard it highly! It definitely wasn't easy but it was a dream of mine that I wasnt gonna give up!

That is really awesome, wrestling in the big ten! When I played baseball at GMU one of my buddies also wrestled there, and he really loved it too. It definitely took a toll academics wise on him, but as you said, I think it's definitely worth it if you truly believe you can make time for both and succeed. It's an opportunity that won't come around again. I do wish I could have stuck with it, but I'm not going to regret anything.

I was a division I student-athlete for 3 years during college. My gpa did go up slightly my senior year (the year I quit athletics because we got a new coach and it became even more demanding), but what I learned from being a student-athlete was worth the slightly lower GPA.

I took Genetics, Physical Biochemistry, Physics II and Ecology this past semester and ended up with a 4.0. Although, I had no life except for the weekends. I also wasn't a student athlete so I don't know how much merit my comment holds in relation to your situation.

Regardless, I kind of loved it. I love to learn things, so it was right up my alley. Next semester I'll be taking a similar course load in terms of rigor. The thing is just dedicating time to exposing yourself to as much information as possible. My university is known to be pretty difficult in terms of curving etc., as only like 3-5% of the class gets an A.

But again, obviously you have to factor in being a student athlete, which I have no experience with. Whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Try doing all those courses after 2 practices a day. Under a strict diet too, I actually have to cook good foods. I literally feel like I got run over by a truck most days, lol. But its a lot of fun. Div 1 wrestling is basically like getting in a 2 hour long street brawl everyday... physically and mentally exhausting.

Irrelevant to the OP now since he is done, but some of the schools I looked into for undergrad would not take science majors on their teams because labs conflicted with practices. That was the end of my interest in those schools.

oh wow, thats pretty messed up. I mean the whole point of college is for the education, except the very very select few that can go pro..
My coaches are very understanding about our academics.

In my slightly biased opinion as a D1 volleyball player, excelling at both athletics and academics (two words: biomedical engineering) demonstrates you can handle stress effectively, are used to criticism, and continually seek improvement- all of which are necessary for dental school/dentistry.

Organic I
Physics I
Calculus
Human A&P I

I'm going to start my first semester of my freshman year this fall taking chem 103, calc 1, bio 1, and sociology. I'll also be playing D3 volleyball and have been wondering how hard this is actually going to be on me.

I'm going to start my first semester of my freshman year this fall taking chem 103, calc 1, bio 1, and sociology. I'll also be playing D3 volleyball and have been wondering how hard this is actually going to be on me.
Personally I recommend doing as much homework as you can and getting ahead at the beginning of the week (Sun, Mon, Tues) because you lose motivation as the week progresses. Also this helps with game travel, since that usually occurs at the end of the week. You have to start doing this as soon as school starts since assignments and stress will start to pile up if you wait too long. Good Luck!

I agree with what is said above. Also try to utilize your down time between classes to study, review material and prepare for lectures, even if it's only 15mins. It will add up.

I agree with what is said above. Also try to utilize your down time between classes to study, review material and prepare for lectures, even if it's only 15mins. It will add up.

That is really key. With practices probably from 4-6 PM at least, using your gaps between classes can really keep you on top of your studies. I try to find a quite spot in the library or an empty classroom and do my "homework" between classes, my math problems or whatever it might be. That leaves my evenings open to study. Once you get into competition season and start traveling, having a good flashlight, extra batteries and doing homework on the bus is also essential! Downtime in hotel rooms is also a good chance to study. Just don't get behind. I just finished my sophomore year, varsity athlete with competitions fall and spring, our only "off" month is December, so pretty much year round with practices and competitions. My class schedule M-W-F was classes and labs pretty much from 8 am to 4 or 5 PM depending on the day. I had an hour break in there to eat, but I would study as well. T-TH I had classes from about 10-2 so I would use those free hours to do what I could. It's manageable but you just have to be disciplined not to think that "hey, I have 4 hours this evening to study" but forgetting all the time to get ready for practice, getting back to your dorm, showering, eating, etc. and all of the sudden, you have an hour. Don't forget to schedule in some time to join some clubs and just be a college student too.

Really though, if you look at your current high school schedule, you are probably in school from 8-3 every day, probably have practice from 3-6 every day, get home, eat dinner, then do homework until 9 or 10. The main difference in college is that 8-3 in school time, you might only have 2 hours of classes so you need to use those other 5 hours to study and not goof off.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I agree, and I think the most difficult part about my transition to my college schedule will be utilizing that time between classes in the middle of the day to my advantage.

Yeah definitely try to stay on task during the day. I know its really easy to just browse the web or get caught up in facebook, twitter, etc between and even during classes; dont do it. Zero benefit. Check all those out either early in the morning or at night after studying. I try to just leave my phone in my backpack most of the day, but its still easy to get distracted when most of my textbooks are on my Ipad lol.

I may be a little late to the party but I wanted to let you know that it is so doable! Don't let people discourage you. I am a D2 athlete going into my senior year and I have managed to keep straight A's as a science major. Athletics will teach you so much more than you could ever learn in a classroom. If you are passionate about both sports and becoming a dentist, then you shouldn't have to choose one or the other!

Last edited:
I was a division I student-athlete for 3 years during college. My gpa did go up slightly my senior year (the year I quit athletics because we got a new coach and it became even more demanding), but what I learned from being a student-athlete was worth the slightly lower GPA.
Where did you do your undergrad?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

In my slightly biased opinion as a D1 volleyball player, excelling at both athletics and academics (two words: biomedical engineering) demonstrates you can handle stress effectively, are used to criticism, and continually seek improvement- all of which are necessary for dental school/dentistry.
Where did you do your undergrad?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What is up with all this necro activity recently? If you want to ask a question on an old thread, PM the individual...

Organic I
Physics I
Calculus
Human A&P I

Of course it's possible. I played two sports field hockey and lacrosse division 2 (was also on a full ride) all four years and majored in bio Chem. It's hard work but definitely worth it and I firmly believe that is what made me stand out from other applicants and led to my acceptance.

Of course it's possible. I played two sports field hockey and lacrosse division 2 (was also on a full ride) all four years and majored in bio Chem. It's hard work but definitely worth it and I firmly believe that is what made me stand out from other applicants and led to my acceptance.
You'll be stuck doing your work on the long bus rides home from away games at 9:00 at night while your teammates all sleep though :rofl:

physics is only a pre req and isn't on the DAT so take it out your schedule now and take it senior year after you take the DAT