Student card works, but I'm not a student yet: Has this happened to anyone else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I got accepted into a Health Sciences undergraduate program. While I don't intend to start classes until the Spring quarter, which WILL NOT START FOR MONTHS, my student ID is ALREADY WORKING on campus. (It is currently the Winter quarter.)

Has that happened to anyone else?

If it did happen to you, did you use your student ID during the quarter (or semester) before you enrolled? For example, if you planned to enroll in the Spring semester, did you use your student ID in the fall or winter to gain access to computer labs, study rooms, the campus gym, etc.?

If so, did you get charged fees for using your student ID?

I want to know if I will be charged for using my card to enter computer labs, the gym, and for reserving study rooms. I will call the Bursar and ask, but sometimes they have dummies answering the phone who give wrong information. Thanks in advance if you can answer.

PS - I know that these policies aren't the same everywhere, but if someone did get charged, it will raise a red flag, and I will spend MUCH more time looking into this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks.

If that's most people's experience, I'll probably be fine (and that's what I'm looking for, the likelihood). How nice it would be to use their printers, gym, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Printers might be a problem, some schools have metrics on that or want you to have a separate $$ account for it. But several schools I've been to do not care if you use their gym, library or student center. I would just do stuff until they tell you not to, they are generally pretty good with that :p

yeah man, you're totally fine. Like an above poster mentioned, it might be difficult to print, purchase food, etc, but getting access to student areas should be no problem.