Student Dentist to Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemicalprinces

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all............

i am suffering from a dillema that i hope u qualified dentists out there can help me with. i am a 5th year dental student and will be graduating in about 5 months. i feel as if i just dont know enough and want to work in private practice when i graduate. not having a mentor and having to venture out on my own is terrifying me!! i don;t know where to start when it comes to reading up on dental insurance? practice management? ect. ect. Here in aus they just dont seem to concentrate on aesthetics as possibly the usa might. I'm scared of the transition!!!!!! :scared: can anybody help me..or give me some advice? web links or share there experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

5th year? Huh? What happened? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
chemicalprinces said:
im sorry? i don't understand? I am in my final year. it's 5 years here.
I think if you want better responses from people on the net, go to a place filled with actual doctors, not students.

I recommend www.dentaltown.com -- go the forums area and post your question and see what practicing dentists have to say about your situation.

This is why most new graduates associate for the first year. Not only do you get paid pretty well and are able to maybe save up or repay loans a little, but also you get the chance to work with a practicing dentist and see how he/she runs his/her office. Practice management will come to you once you start working and the dentist will be able to answer your questions about starting up on your own. When you are ready to start your own practice, you will probably hire an experienced office manager that will take care of the routine things anyway.

If you are a little nervous about your clinical skills, associating will also help you to improve as well. If you are very nervous about your clinical skills, you can always complete a one year residency. I am sure that after that you will be prepared to work.

PS - It sounds like you are planning on practicing here in the US--is that right?

Dear onetooth,

thanku for ur helpful reply. i appreciate it. not sure if i want to practice in the usa might have to sit an exam to practice there. i know we can practice all over aus, and nz and possibly the uk without exams. just wondering if there was anyone else who felt the same way or this common?? i thanku once again for ur advice and the time to reply! :love:

Where are you graduating from?