Student DO to lead AMSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Being amsa president requires a year off?

Damnn... @Psai .... BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THE DO BASHING AND SALTINESS BRUH.

Why can't you just be happy for the man? Who touched you when you were little?

Reactions: 6 users

...or maybe it was a legitimate question, since most of us either don't know or don't care about the AMSA presidency?

Props to the guy for getting elected, but, honestly, if I hadn't seen this post, I wouldn't have known about it. Relax.

Reactions: 4 users
...or maybe it was a legitimate question, since most of us either don't know or don't care about the AMSA presidency?

Props to the guy for getting elected, but, honestly, if I hadn't seen this post, I wouldn't have known about it. Relax.

I don't even know what AMSA does.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 1 users

What a bizarre response. You got a real chip on your shoulder son, where was there anything about dos? You should get that checked out

Reactions: 1 users
Being amsa president requires a year off?

My guess is that during 4th he may want to do a lot of away rotations (around 5-6) to match into the field he wants. So it maybe too much to do along with the amsa responsibilities.

My guess is that during 4th he may want to do a lot of away rotations (around 5-6) to match into the field he wants. So it maybe too much to do along with the amsa responsibilities.

It is a great opportunity for the individual and the osteopathic profession.

Would he have been elected president if the body of medical students in the organization believed that DO students and osteopathic physicians are an inferior brand? No. The people spoke through their election process.

Would he have been elected president if the body of medical students in the organization believed that DO students and osteopathic physicians are an inferior brand? No. The people spoke through their election process.

Kudos to him, but... Is the opinion of the voting students in AMSA at all relevant to the opinions of the PDs and others you have to go through to get your career started?? No.

You could argue that these kids will be PDs and other leaders later. But that many years "later" won't help people going through med school now.

I am not anti-DO at all. I am against people who refuse to acknowledge the issues that DOs face. You can shut your eyes and plug your ears if you want, but people who are genuinely seeking information deserve better than only hearing your blind "Rah rah! What bias??"

Reactions: 3 users
I find it sad that every time a DO gets any position or award somehow we have to make a big deal out of it. You don't see MDs saying "look an MD got this award!" It reeks of a sense of inferiority and we will never be "equal" until we stop comparing ourselves to MDs period.

Reactions: 9 users
I was never in AMSA and honestly have no clue what they are even about.

Always assumed it was a group of neurotic, sycophantic pre-meds (based on undergrad encounters). As it turns out, they're one of the leading sources of student-driven spam e-mails! Oh, and I think they do some advocacy somewhere in there, too.

Of course, I joined SOMA just for the free copy of Netter's, so I may be cynical. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed. Anything that promotes that DOs are legitimate physicians is a good thing in my book (and better publicity than the "we care more than machines" campaign). And while I agree with @22031 Alum that the opinion of students doesn't necessarily reflect the opinion of residency directors right now, and this obviously isn't a magical DOs-are-equal-now-kumbaya moment, it seems like a good sign.

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed. Anything that promotes that DOs are legitimate physicians is a good thing in my book (and better publicity than the "we care more than machines" campaign). And while I agree with @22031 Alum that the opinion of students doesn't necessarily reflect the opinion of residency directors right now, and this obviously isn't a magical DOs-are-equal-now-kumbaya moment, it seems like a good sign.

Thank you for your insight.

I believe you have misinterpreted my post completely. It was an explanation of why he took the year off, it has nothing to do with how he was elected. During elective rotations DO students have to fly all over the place for those rotations. This is a time to prove themselves and is the norm for osteopathic students. He might have played it safe and decided to take a year off to handle his new responsibilities.

Being elected to AMSA is a great accomplishment, my post was not belittling it in anyway.

The only thing this did was suggest that a DO student isn't immediately inferior to a MD student when it comes to politics among medical students (I threw up a little writing that). This guy has no bearing whatever on how DO's are viewed in the house of medicine. To be fair, he may be awesome and set some changes in motion; but that remains to be seen.

As for the year off... I personally think it's a waste of good talent and income potential, but I respect they guy for being passionate about what he does. Probably best to give the guy some support from your local institution and otherwise just be the best physician you can be, letters be damned.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it bad that the first thought that came to my mind was that it makes sense he's black? Don't bash me, I promise I'm not racist.

QFT...

Also, how has this thread made it this far without the obligatory "AMSA sucks!"

AMSA was so far to the left it even made me hurt. Full of the type who seemed to think we were lucky to be there and that taking care of patients is such a noble honor that we should probably be paying them for the privilege and not the other way around...
You beat me to it. Ugh, AMSA is awful. I wouldn't join for a free hard copy of Harrison's and a new Cardiology III.