student elective for a foreign medical student - student visa(f1) or visitors visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navigator420

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hii,
i am a foreign medical student from india. i have scheduled electives in the early part of next yr at LAC MEDICAL CENTER ( LOS ANGELES)and CHARITY HOSPITAL ( NEW ORLEANS) .

i was wondering if i would be eligible for a student visa (f1) or J1 visa for my rotations. i understand that rotations are done on a visitors visa by many non US citizens . is that a rule or is it something the hospital decides? (whether to sponsor a visitors or student visa)

did any one of you or anyone you know do his/her rotations on a student visa orJ1 visa . DOES IT REALLY MATTER ON WHAT VISA I AM GOING TO APPLY (I MEAN THE CHANCES OF GETTING ACCEPTED OR REJECTED AT THE US EMBASSY)

Members don't see this ad.

navigator420 said:
hii,
i am a foreign medical student from india. i have scheduled electives in the early part of next yr at LAC MEDICAL CENTER ( LOS ANGELES)and CHARITY HOSPITAL ( NEW ORLEANS) .

i was wondering if i would be eligible for a student visa (f1) or J1 visa for my rotations. i understand that rotations are done on a visitors visa by many non US citizens . is that a rule or is it something the hospital decides? (whether to sponsor a visitors or student visa)

did any one of you or anyone you know do his/her rotations on a student visa orJ1 visa . DOES IT REALLY MATTER ON WHAT VISA I AM GOING TO APPLY (I MEAN THE CHANCES OF GETTING ACCEPTED OR REJECTED AT THE US EMBASSY)
hi,am in a medical school in d caribeans and am about to start my clinicals.all i know about gettin a student f1 visa is dat u need a form i-20 so if d hospital is willin to give u one den am sure u can apply.d j1 visa i think is for residency program.are u certain dat one can do clinical rotations wit a visitors visa.

It is written on several university websites that international students have to obtain a visitorsvisa to do the electives. what freaks me out is after i do a lot of hard work for the rotation ,the american consulate over here might just say that i am applying in the wrong visa category.

so you are saying that we can do our rotations on a student visa (f1). that's definately good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey nav,

i wanna schedule some electives for myself too. how did you go about it? what depts are you rotating in? any info would be helpful, thanks.

Just send a email to the student clerkship coordinators or clerkship directors of all the programs you r intrested in ( send a lot of emails) .If they are intrested they will reply with a weblink to their application

I will be doing electives in emergency medicine and pediatric critical care (of course if my visa application does not get rejected over here)