student elective for a foreign medical student - student visa(f1) or visitors visa

navigator420

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
    hii,
    i am a foreign medical student from india. i have scheduled electives in the early part of next yr at LAC MEDICAL CENTER ( LOS ANGELES)and CHARITY HOSPITAL ( NEW ORLEANS) .

i was wondering if i would be eligible for a student visa (f1) or J1 visa for my rotations. i understand that rotations are done on a visitors visa by many non US citizens . is that a rule or is it something the hospital decides? (whether to sponsor a visitors or student visa)

did any one of you or anyone you know do his/her rotations on a student visa orJ1 visa . DOES IT REALLY MATTER ON WHAT VISA I AM GOING TO APPLY (I MEAN THE CHANCES OF GETTING ACCEPTED OR REJECTED AT THE US EMBASSY)

doroeb

10+ Year Member
    Apr 29, 2005
      navigator420 said:
      hii,
      i am a foreign medical student from india. i have scheduled electives in the early part of next yr at LAC MEDICAL CENTER ( LOS ANGELES)and CHARITY HOSPITAL ( NEW ORLEANS) .

i was wondering if i would be eligible for a student visa (f1) or J1 visa for my rotations. i understand that rotations are done on a visitors visa by many non US citizens . is that a rule or is it something the hospital decides? (whether to sponsor a visitors or student visa)

did any one of you or anyone you know do his/her rotations on a student visa orJ1 visa . DOES IT REALLY MATTER ON WHAT VISA I AM GOING TO APPLY (I MEAN THE CHANCES OF GETTING ACCEPTED OR REJECTED AT THE US EMBASSY)
      hi,am in a medical school in d caribeans and am about to start my clinicals.all i know about gettin a student f1 visa is dat u need a form i-20 so if d hospital is willin to give u one den am sure u can apply.d j1 visa i think is for residency program.are u certain dat one can do clinical rotations wit a visitors visa.

navigator420

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Oct 1, 2004
        It is written on several university websites that international students have to obtain a visitorsvisa to do the electives. what freaks me out is after i do a lot of hard work for the rotation ,the american consulate over here might just say that i am applying in the wrong visa category.

so you are saying that we can do our rotations on a student visa (f1). that's definately good news.

About the Ads

navigator420

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Oct 1, 2004
          Just send a email to the student clerkship coordinators or clerkship directors of all the programs you r intrested in ( send a lot of emails) .If they are intrested they will reply with a weblink to their application

I will be doing electives in emergency medicine and pediatric critical care (of course if my visa application does not get rejected over here)

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.