student hosting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frozenajd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a few of you guys have stayed with a student host at your various interviews. How did you all like that? Did they pick you up from the airport or did you all take a taxi to their spot? Did you bring towels, or sheets?

Members don't see this ad.

lol, i loved my student hosts at dartmouth, super nice people. it definitely makes transportation easier.

I'm sure a few of you guys have stayed with a student host at your various interviews. How did you all like that? Did they pick you up from the airport or did you all take a taxi to their spot? Did you bring towels, or sheets?

it was free. i liked that a lot.

all joking aside, you get to hear about med school from a student perspective and they usually keep up with you throughout the day. always nice to have someone dote on you and make you feel special, even if the admissions cmte. doesn't share the sentiment;)

your student host experience will vary a lot depending on what school it is and who your host is. some will pick you up from the airport, some won't; some will offer you their own bed to sleep in, others will put you on an air mattress on the floor; some will go out to dinner with you, allowing you to pick their brain, others will be busy all night. you can probably get a good feel which of these circumstances will/will not apply to you by talking to your host the day before.

if you are a fussy person i would not recommend staying with a host (you do need to be well rested for the next day after all!), but if you are used to living on the go (ie hostelled at all), i think it is a great way to get at that elusive "gut feeling" that pretty much decides where you eventually will go to school. i stayed with a student host on 4 of my interviews, and i loved it.