Student loan debt now greater than credit card debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're parents should pay more taxes.

Not likely. Instead, you are gonna be paying for their social security and medicare pretty soon. Mwahahaha

Members don't see this ad.

Can't take it with you.

That's just the way they are, grew up in China, been poor most of their lives, they don't want to fancy stuff. They say want to pass it down, but I told them that I sure don't need it. I think they are still stuck in that old tradition of passing down the family name and wealth.

I rather use my wealth to build something lasting, like establish a scholarship foundation for the truly gifted children in china who are too poor attend higher education. Why buy some expensive car that I don't care about when the same money can help change the world?

I'm feeing because at some point my body will fail me so I really just want to blow money on travel and more travel.

I'll probably live spartan with a cheapie car but I'm all about the experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm feeing because at some point my body will fail me so I really just want to blow money on travel and more travel.

I'm not one of those girls that needs to shop for expensive crap all the time or get a haircut/mani/pedi every other day, but travel... yeah that will probably be where I splurge.

That's just the way they are, grew up in China, been poor most of their lives, they don't want to fancy stuff. They say want to pass it down, but I told them that I sure don't need it. I think they are still stuck in that old tradition of passing down the family name and wealth.

I rather use my wealth to build something lasting, like establish a scholarship foundation for the truly gifted children in china who are too poor attend higher education. Why buy some expensive car that I don't care about when the same money can help change the world?

:barf:

:barf:

that's ok, different takes on life. I think of life as defined by what we do and leave behind. An individual, a life time, is a mere speck in the grand scheme of things. So the question to anyone is what have you done to make that speck worth while?

Having climbed a mountain or drove a fancy car just doesn't do it for me. Rather I hope that maybe I could do something to help bring about the next Newton or Oppenheimer, who for better or worse definitively altered the course of human history.

Last edited:
In terms of lifestyle, remember that statistically the majority of people who are rich on paper and happier in life (according to various studies- check out the book Stop Acting Rich: ...And Start Living Like A Real Millionaire by Thomas Stanley if you are interested in this topic) are those who live at or under their means. They are the ones who live in middle class housing when maybe they can afford that mansion, etc. The ones who blow all their money on cars, houses, and flashy toys and don't actually save, etc. tend to be living paycheck to paycheck and in turn have much more stressful lives. They are the ones who poll lower in happiness surveys and usually the ones who think buying that new car or country club membership will be what puts them over the edge to happiness- doesn't happen though. Again, I recommend the book above since I am far from an expert on the matter, but it is something I have come to realize through my personal experience and reading that I have done.

My personal take is that if you want something really bad, go ahead and buy it, even if it might be a flashy toy. Just make sure you have extra money left over and that you can easily afford everything you do.

I think of life as defined by what we do and leave behind.

Yeah..what we do. Not what we say we'll do "when" to make oneself look good to others.

Rather I hope that maybe I could do something to help bring about the next Newton or Oppenheimer, who for better or worse definitively altered the course of human history.

Yeah? why wait..do it now. So you must live in a 1 room apt and get by and spend all your money on philanthropy today. Right?

We drool in admiration.

..And Start Living Like A Real Millionaire by Thomas Stanley

He's so played out. Yeah..'Millionaire Next Door' was a good read. But the sequel and threequel to say the same thing over and over...

It's like when Ambein came out with Ambien CR.. CR stands for Continuous Revenue.

While philanthropy is great, it should be the choice of whoever has the money. I think it should be remembered though that even buying that flashy car or whatever still helps society and the world. After all, someone makes that car, someone makes the steel, someone markets it, someone owns the stock, and on and on. Trade is almost always a net positive thing.

He's so played out. Yeah..'Millionaire Next Door' was a good read. But the sequel and threequel to say the same thing over and over...

It's like when Ambein came out with Ambien CR.. CR stands for Continuous Revenue.

Lol, I actually haven't read the other ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
While philanthropy is great, it should be the choice of whoever has the money. I think it should be remembered though that even buying that flashy car or whatever still helps society and the world. After all, someone makes that car, someone makes the steel, someone markets it, someone owns the stock, and on and on. Trade is almost always a net positive thing.

Yup, exactly.

I'm just tired of his "I'm Asian and work harder than you and holier than thou" crap.

So philanthropy is great. And I'd know, because husband and I have actually given away tens of thousands of dollars in the last three years for various things. But I'd certainly never judge people who don't feel called to do that. It's a personal choice. And I still like my expensive purses, bags and shoes. We still go out to dinner and aren't living some ascetic lifestyle. And we definitely don't think we're better than anyone else. :shrug:

So philanthropy is great. And I'd know, because husband and I have actually given away tens of thousands of dollars in the last three years for various things. But I'd certainly never judge people who don't feel called to do that. It's a personal choice. And I still like my expensive purses, bags and shoes. We still go out to dinner and aren't living some ascetic lifestyle. And we definitely don't think we're better than anyone else. :shrug:

That's nothing!

I have given away millions of dollars, 100's of gallons of blood, all accessory organs, and two vital ones! How? I regrow them of course. How else will I be able to end the organ shortage? What keeps me alive? My smug sense of superiority of course. I will only die after having personally ended the transplant shortage.

Just teasing. :p

That's nothing!

I have given away millions of dollars, 100's of gallons of blood, all accessory organs, and two vital ones! How? I regrow them of course. How else will I be able to end the organ shortage? What keeps me alive? My smug sense of superiority of course. I will only die after having personally ended the transplant shortage.

You sound like a vampire to me, with this self-healing and regrowing stuff... stay back. I have GARLIC! :p

You sound like a vampire to me, with this self-healing and regrowing stuff... stay back. I have GARLIC! :p

Pshhh, as if me being a vampire is not your fantasy.

I know how you woman are with all your Twilight's and True Blood's. :rolleyes:

Pshhh, as if me being a vampire is not your fantasy.

I know how you woman are with all your Twilight's and True Blood's. :rolleyes:

True Blood is awesome. You might be thinking of the vampire diaries or some such nonsense

Yeah..what we do. Not what we say we'll do "when" to make oneself look good to others.

Not saying it to look good, just what I believe. You got a problem? Tough.

Yeah? why wait..do it now. So you must live in a 1 room apt and get by and spend all your money on philanthropy today. Right?

I don't see you paying off the student loans for me. If I had money to spare, I would start today.

P.S I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife, son, and mother-in-law. Before that, we squeezed into a 1 bedroom apartment. I drive a 11 year old car, older than all of my subordinates. So you are way off.

Yup, exactly.

I'm just tired of his "I'm Asian and work harder than you and holier than thou" crap.

And you are not full of yourself? You are the worse one on the board! LOL.

I'll paraphrase that guy in the other thread. "It hurts your credibility."

typo hurts my credibility? It's not like I don't know how to use it correctly, has I had done before. Geez. Red herring.

you like that? :) Should we all go on a typo hunt together? LOL

But my guess is you like fishing, specifically red herring, right?

It's not a red herring, because I'm not doing this as a debate tactic, or trying to distract from your argument, or whatever. I'm straight up poking fun at you. No ulterior motive. :D

It's not a red herring, because I'm not doing this as a debate tactic, or trying to distract from your argument, or whatever. I'm straight up poking fun at you. No ulterior motive. :D

Don't you have better things to do? I can go find your typos... hell we can all do that all day long. Let's turn this into a poke-fun-at-each-other english forum. No ulterior motives my eye.

That is absolutely right. I am full of myself yet I can back it up when it comes to pharmacy.

You? Fresh out of residency know it all.... and have no reason to be so full of it. So go do some work and come back later.

Oh yeah another thing. Drop your "Asian/Chinese" thing. You don't represent all of us.

:smuggrin:

I don't see you paying off the student loans for me. If I had money to spare, I would start today.

LOL...oh here come the excuses... talk a good game of saving the humanity but now... he has no money to spare. Nice Crawfishing..

:laugh:

Don't you have better things to do? I can go find your typos... hell we can all do that all day long. Let's turn this into a poke-fun-at-each-other english forum. No ulterior motives my eye.
She can be mean like that. She'll find the most insignificant thing and pick at it until it bleeds.

That is absolutely right. I am full of myself yet I can back it up when it comes to pharmacy.

You? Fresh out of residency know it all.... and have no reason to be so full of it. So go do some work and come back later.

That sounds like an excuse to me. Didn't know you had a patent on that.

Oh yeah another thing. Drop your "Asian/Chinese" thing. You don't represent all of us.

Never said I represented all of you. Care to point to where I said that?

LOL...oh here come the excuses... talk a good game of saving the humanity but now... he has no money to spare. Nice Crawfishing..

:laugh:

It's not an excuse when it's the truth.

You yourself just pointed to the fact that I'm fresh out of residency, and now you think got money and all my student loans have been paid off? Somebody doesn't think things through. LOL

Last edited:
images

:smuggrin:

I agree with all of this. Z is totally full of himself but he's got lots of experience and insight that's useful to this board. Even if the camera posts are annoying! :smuggrin:

Yup, exactly.

I lol'd.

I've met guys like you. they've come through the hospital thinking they are tough and know everything. look down on techs ( subordinates). think because they went through a residency people should grovel at their feet because of their VAST knowledge lol. last guy that was like that got the boot. you were a student once and who knows what before that. you like to come on here and pretend how in touch you are with your poor upbringing but in reality you have such low self esteem you attempt to compensate with an inflated ego and by telling us how great it is to be asian. yes. you are asian. who gives a ****. yes you grew up poor and worked your ass off. are we supposed to give you a ribbon? your posturing has become boring.

I'm allowed to have opinions of my own about things and people. All of our moderator staff members are. But if teasing you about your bad grammar and spelling hurts you so much, I'll stop.

Had no idea picking on typo is a moderator's job. Hey, whatever floats your boat. Go forth and find all the typos, including your own. Have fun. LOL

I've met guys like you... try to do psychoanalysis...

Way off. But that's ok, since you don't even know me.

yes. you are asian. who gives a ****. yes you grew up poor and worked your ass off.

Nobody cares about ribbon. I instruct students to work their ass off and seek success through education. Other people tell that that do the minimum and grades don't matter.

And you bet your ass I'm proud of my asian values and are not afraid to tell it. If you don't like my asian values, that's fine, do your own thing. What you do with your life got nothing to do with me. Just some students go for As, other Cs, all by their choice, but there will be no oppressing speech in this forum.

Had no idea picking on typo is a moderator's job. Hey, whatever floats your boat. Go forth and find all the typos, including your own. Have fun. LOL

Sorry you misunderstood. My opinion of your typing and communication skills are mine and mine alone and have nothing to do with my role as a member of the moderator staff. They are my personal opinion. Since they hurt you so much, I'll stop. Hope that clears things up a bit. Enjoy your day. :)

Sorry you misunderstood. My opinion of your typing and communication skills are mine and mine alone and have nothing to do with my role as a member of the moderator staff. They are my personal opinion. Since they hurt you so much, I'll stop. Hope that clears things up a bit. Enjoy your day. :)

Of course all moderators may write a mile long disclaimer for their poor showing. Sorry you had to cover your butt.

Way off. But that's ok, since you don't even know me.

Nobody cares about ribbon. I instruct students to work their ass off and seek success through education. Other people tell that that do the minimum and grades don't matter.

And you bet your ass I'm proud of my asian values and are not afraid to tell it.

Where do asian values come from? Is it because there are so many Aaians in Asia with less opporunities for success and it's really hard to stand out so they have kind of like an inferiority complex, kind of? Do they feel like they have to get all A's and play piano and have 0 sleepovers in the USA to "prove themselves"...