student loan debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hindumuslim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it alright to take out like max. 50 grand of debt for undergrad, if you most definitely have your sights set on medical school, and plan on going? You would have to take out many thousands of dollars anyway right for med school? If I do get into medical school is there a way to graduate debt free w/o rich parents?

Members don't see this ad.

50,000 for undergrad is a lot of money but won't affect the long-term financial equation too much. The stafford rates for undergrad loans are pretty low too; they decrease to a low of 3.4% next year if memory serves. Conversely, graduate and doctoral stafford loans are fixed at 6.8%, which sucks.

Look at the tuition for med schools; its damn expensive. You also have to add debt for living expenses but you were going to accrue living expenses regardless. Thus, to see if the financial reward is worth it you would have to incorporate the living expenses incurred while working a non-medical career if you are considering other careers.

You cannot graduate without debt unless you get a full ride scholarships (highly unlikely for medical school, unless you're a URM or something) or take a military scholarship.

Note that you will be making much less money in your payback to the military than if you were working as a civilian doctor. HPSP and FAP programs are not good financially in most cases; if you are hell bent on primary care then they are pretty solid choices, actually. I would recommend the National Guard's loan repayment programs which are currently set at 120,000 for 3 years of National Guard (NOT active duty) service.

Some debt-averse people (some for religious reasons) work for several years to avoid too much debt from medical school. This is pretty stupid since you are losing years of attending salary (120,000/year NET in many cases) and tuition is outpacing inflation. However, I've seen a lot of financially illiterate health professionals...

is it alright to take out like max. 50 grand of debt for undergrad, if you most definitely have your sights set on medical school, and plan on going? You would have to take out many thousands of dollars anyway right for med school? If I do get into medical school is there a way to graduate debt free w/o rich parents?

50k for undergrad is an awful idea IMO.

If I do get into medical school is there a way to graduate debt free w/o rich parents?
There are merit scholarships for med school which are rare at most schools. There's also military scholarships and the health-service corps scholarships (primary care only).

Members don't see this ad :)
50k for undergrad is an awful idea IMO.

My parents won't support me at all, I have to take care of myself completely. So I have to take out big loans, even tho I'm going to a state school. Hopefully fin. aid will come thru for me. Does anyone know ways to minimize loans, like maybe live in a cheaper place, only take out loans for tuition, and cut coupons? Are those good ideas?

50k is a lot even after med school. 50k looks like even more if you don't get into med school.

half of people who apply don't get into med school.

Duh, living in a cheaper place and being frugal will help!!! (Why did you ask this obvious question?!)

You can do other things to improve your situation, like graduating a semester early (some schools charge you the same if you take 12-18 credits) so you pay less tuition, living in a less expensive place, buying things on sale, etc. Why the heck would you accrue credit card debt when you don't have to, for example.

I know of a lot of pre-meds that have no financial intelligence. They say, "Food is so expensive, milk costs 3 dollars a gallon."

I reply, "What are you talking about? Milk costs 1.75 every week at the big grocery store." They do stupid things like buy groceries at the corner store that costs 40% more.

Better yet, crunch the numbers and see if the anticipated attending salary will suffice for you. I calculated my lifetime net worth and assuming compensation stays above a certain level I will be relatively satisfied financially with medicine.

My parents won't support me at all, I have to take care of myself completely. So I have to take out big loans, even tho I'm going to a state school. Hopefully fin. aid will come thru for me. Does anyone know ways to minimize loans, like maybe live in a cheaper place, only take out loans for tuition, and cut coupons? Are those good ideas?

50K is nothing after medical school. If you were very frugal you could almost pay it off during residency. 50K is a lot after COLLEGE, however.

50k is a lot even after med school. 50k looks like even more if you don't get into med school.

half of people who apply don't get into med school.

50k yearly or total? if it's total that's a very manageable debt imo

You had better hope you get into med school if you get $50,000 in debt for a biology degree.

I had maybe $8,000 support from my family total during undergrad. But, I only graduated with $22,000 in loans to pay off (and I only have $10,000 left to pay due to a REALLY frugal year!). Some suggestions:

1. Apply to be a resident assistant at your school. Generally, this covers the cost of room and board (which can be upwards of $10,000 a year!)

2. Scholarships?? There are always random ones to apply for - my sister found a couple on Fastweb, applied, and ended up with $5,000/year for her last two years of undergrad - it adds up. Did you get any scholarship money upon entering your undergrad?

3. Live off campus. Sometimes this is more affordable - especially if you distance yourself from the school just a bit. Find some roommates, don't count on having a room to yourself - get a two bedroom for $700/month and split it four ways. I'm sure there are others like you trying to make it out with as little debt as possible.

4. Part-time job? Or full-time (but you don't want your grades to suffer!). I recommend finding a job on campus - generally that gives you the most opportunity for picking up extra hours when you need the extra cash. Essentially, you should be able to pay for living expenses like housing and food ($200-300/month if you do it right) from working, and then just need to take out loans for tuition.

It can be done, my friend. Good luck!

1. Get roommates 2. Get a job 3. don't live it up.

The best way I know to minimize your loans (at least for medical school) is to attend an instate public medical school. The rest of the advice in this thread obviously makes sense in terms of living expenses, but the only way you're going to reduce your total medical school debt by 50% or more is to attend a public school instate.

The best jobs are the library positions where you just sit at the desk studying. The only work you have to do is push in the chairs when the library closes and announce to the students that the library "will be closing in 5 minutes." I was so jealous of the person that got the job. It was probably only minimum wage but she got paid for studying.

I had maybe $8,000 support from my family total during undergrad. But, I only graduated with $22,000 in loans to pay off (and I only have $10,000 left to pay due to a REALLY frugal year!). Some suggestions:

1. Apply to be a resident assistant at your school. Generally, this covers the cost of room and board (which can be upwards of $10,000 a year!)

2. Scholarships?? There are always random ones to apply for - my sister found a couple on Fastweb, applied, and ended up with $5,000/year for her last two years of undergrad - it adds up. Did you get any scholarship money upon entering your undergrad?

3. Live off campus. Sometimes this is more affordable - especially if you distance yourself from the school just a bit. Find some roommates, don't count on having a room to yourself - get a two bedroom for $700/month and split it four ways. I'm sure there are others like you trying to make it out with as little debt as possible.

4. Part-time job? Or full-time (but you don't want your grades to suffer!). I recommend finding a job on campus - generally that gives you the most opportunity for picking up extra hours when you need the extra cash. Essentially, you should be able to pay for living expenses like housing and food ($200-300/month if you do it right) from working, and then just need to take out loans for tuition.

It can be done, my friend. Good luck!

It is 50 thousand for the whole thing, but that is still a lot. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

The best jobs are the library positions where you just sit at the desk studying. The only work you have to do is push in the chairs when the library closes and announce to the students that the library "will be closing in 5 minutes." I was so jealous of the person that got the job. It was probably only minimum wage but she got paid for studying.

YES! I worked at the front desk of a dorm. Basically, answered the phone every couple hours when it actually rang, put in maintenance requests, and answered a couple questions. Otherwise, watched TV episodes online or did homework. :thumbup:

Between "financial aid" loans and private loans im up around 50k after graduating. My parents made too much money for me to get any real financial help, but they couldn't afford to help pay for my school so I had to pay for everything (living expenses, books, etc) by myself.
To minimize the amount of money I had to apply for privately I had a full time job in the summers, and worked part-time during school. Apartments are much cheaper than living on campus (although I would definitely recommend living in a dorm for at least a year just to get the full college experience), and buying groceries/cooking is much cheaper than eating out/dorm food. Buy your books used online instead of from the school store (if you're smart about this you can actually make a profit from selling your books back for a higher price than what you bought them). There are a ton of ways to minimize costs.

I didn't have financial support from my parents. $50,000 is not too much.

As an undergrad, I was a TA (free room & board & some other perks, in exchange dealt with problems, put on programs, etc....it was NOT a huge time commitment if you are good at limiting drama.) Another savings option, particularly if you are part of a community group, is to seek out senior citizens that have a spare room. You cook, do some cleaning, and some chores (such as grocery shopping) in exchange for room and board. It can make their life easier and less lonely, give their family peace of mind, and be advantageous for the student. This takes a certain amount of maturity, but can be a great situation....but really be clear about what you are able and willing to do and what is off limits.

I also got a CNA between HS and UG. I would work from 4pm-midnight M-F. I didn't get a great amount of sleep (5-6 hours), and I worked weekends off campus as a security guard for a manufacturing company (two 8 hour shifts.) I had to do rounds and check trucks in and out, but realisticly with 4 rounds taking ~15 min, and maximum 20 trucks at 5 min each, I had enough time to study/write essays/etc. I worked off campus because I made much better money (generally $4-6 dollars above minimum wage.) I also routinely recieved bonuses and 'tips' as a CNA (anywhere from a $5 every couple of weeks to $200 Christmas bonus for working 24, 25, 26)...and the company where I was a security guard did profit sharing, which meant an extra $20-50/mo. All those things add up. I also road a bike (good exercise) and I think my clients' family members understood that I was working hard to get through school and were a bit more generous (often sending meals home with me or providing me with free office supplies like notebooks.)

I did not socialize much, and that much work did affect my GPA. I graduated with a 3.4 at a school that doesn't inflate grades (no 4.0's at my UG.) It wasn't easy, but I learned a lot, and I am confident that it helped me gain admissions to med school in 2001 (which I actually chose not to attend) and now, a decade later, in vet school.

the challenge is that your family will have an EFC and it is very hard to get federal aid to cover that EFC if your family won't contribute. That is why I had to work that much. Also...some UG's are far more tolerant of work than others.

Finally, do NOT assume that state schools are cheaper. I went to a private school because, while the tuition was 4 times higher than the state school I could have attended, with the scholarships the school provided, the cost was 1/3 of what I would have paid at the state school, and the average class size was 16, with nearly all my Jr & Sr classes having less than 10 students, research (with publication) was common, and students were appreciated for their contributions. It really is about looking around, talking to admissions officers, and learning what will suit you best and where you will achieve the most while incurring the least damage (financial and otherwise.)

50,000 for undergrad is a lot of money but won't affect the long-term financial equation too much. The stafford rates for undergrad loans are pretty low too; they decrease to a low of 3.4% next year if memory serves. Conversely, graduate and doctoral stafford loans are fixed at 6.8%, which sucks.

Look at the tuition for med schools; its damn expensive. You also have to add debt for living expenses but you were going to accrue living expenses regardless. Thus, to see if the financial reward is worth it you would have to incorporate the living expenses incurred while working a non-medical career if you are considering other careers.

You cannot graduate without debt unless you get a full ride scholarships (highly unlikely for medical school, unless you're a URM or something) or take a military scholarship.

Note that you will be making much less money in your payback to the military than if you were working as a civilian doctor. HPSP and FAP programs are not good financially in most cases; if you are hell bent on primary care then they are pretty solid choices, actually. I would recommend the National Guard's loan repayment programs which are currently set at 120,000 for 3 years of National Guard (NOT active duty) service.

Some debt-averse people (some for religious reasons) work for several years to avoid too much debt from medical school. This is pretty stupid since you are losing years of attending salary (120,000/year NET in many cases) and tuition is outpacing inflation. However, I've seen a lot of financially illiterate health professionals...

This is true.. but still it isn't a wise idea to do so. Mainly because you'll be in much more debt later on. I decided to go to a smaller college than a big one because I got a scholarship to it and I didn't want to be in debt if I get into med school :xf: