bleach121

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2013
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
What type of student loan repayment option do you recommend a PGY1 Anesthesia resident take?

- Pay As You Earn (PAYE) - will allow you to take advantage of Public Service Loan Forgiveness so that after 10 years of on-time payments (4 years residency + 6 years as attending working in non-profit hospital) the remainder of your loans are forgiven.
  • Pro: you might save 50-60k via loan forgiveness.
  • Cons: you have to work at a non profit hospital so you might miss out on higher paying private practice salaries.
- Standard 10 year loan repayment and consolidate loans with private bank to reduce interest -
  • Pro: can take higher paying private practice job after 4 years of residency.
  • Cons: higher payments as resident; have to pay back entire loan out of pocket.

I have spoken to friends who are ER docs and they usually make considerably more money working in private practice than they do in non-profit hospitals. Thus for them it might make more sense to go with the latter option so they can work in private practice. My problem is that I don't know how much of a difference there is between private practice vs non-profit anesthesiologist salaries.

Skarl

5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2015
Status
  1. Medical Student
Consider REPAYE as half your interest during residency is subsidized--and you still leave the option of PSLF vs. aggressive repayment after graduating residency.

Reactions: 1 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads