MHA Student Loans and Administrative Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_General_Fiasco

Reaction score
For those who are currently completing or have completed your administrative fellowship, were you still considered a grad student during the administrative fellowship,
Whether it was for 1 year or 2?
I ask because of the 6 months grace period you have before the student loans repayment kicks in after graduation. In addition, I was thinking, if I am still classified as a student, I can use that time to pay off as much as I can since the avg salary for fellows are between $60k - $65k, and for my program, you do not get your degree until completing the admin fellowship requirement your third yr.

If it helps, I will be attending UAB this fall to pursue their MSHA/MSHI dual degree. As I mentioned earlier, the overall program is 3-4 years. I can graduate with an MSHI degree in 2 years, but will not receive my MSHA degree until completing my fellowship which can be an additional 1 or 2 years.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello from Birmingham, Alabama! Yes, you're typically considered a student during fellowships that are part of a training program like this one. If this is like most programs of its type, you don't officially complete the program until the fellowship is completed. Student loans remain deferred.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello from Birmingham, Alabama! Yes, you're typically considered a student during fellowships that are part of a training program like this one. If this is like most programs of its type, you don't officially complete the program until the fellowship is completed. Student loans remain deferred.

Thank you!