Student Loans/fellowship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychbird

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to this forum but I've been getting a lot of good info from reading it, it's excellent. Thanks! Anyway, I have a question for those of you who have been here. I am anticipating getting into a particular program in Clinical Psych next fall. My husband is also anticipating getting into a program at the same school, but his program begins sooner than mine does. How does it work with student loans and fellowships? Can you get your loan in advance of the time that you begin school? (i.e. I'm wondering how I'm going to pay my rent, things like that, if I'm there before school begins). Any advice or even just a basic rundown of how loans and fellowships work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Psychbird said:
Hello. I'm new to this forum but I've been getting a lot of good info from reading it, it's excellent. Thanks! Anyway, I have a question for those of you who have been here. I am anticipating getting into a particular program in Clinical Psych next fall. My husband is also anticipating getting into a program at the same school, but his program begins sooner than mine does. How does it work with student loans and fellowships? Can you get your loan in advance of the time that you begin school? (i.e. I'm wondering how I'm going to pay my rent, things like that, if I'm there before school begins). Any advice or even just a basic rundown of how loans and fellowships work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

SAVE SAVE SAVE!!! As I understand it you won't get a disbursement until the first day of classes? If you get a private loan then that is different. It just depends on who is lending the money and their stipulations on disbursement.