1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Student loans waived while in GPR?

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by omemnow, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. omemnow

    omemnow New Member

    Nov 6, 2004
    Likes Received:
    A while back I consolidated my student loans with Graduate Leverage. I will be starting in a GPR in June. I called Graduate Leverage to see if I can extend my grace period for another year until I finish my residency. The person on the phone said I need to prove that I'm still a "student" in order to qualify. He also said don't worry, Graduate Leverage will be sending some stuff in the mail for me to fill out in mid April. Now, I have a classmate who's doing AEGD. He told me his lender, NelNet, advised him to fill out some forms to apply for student loan extension ASAP. So my main concerns are: Am I still consider a student while I'm in a GPR and Am I behind with the paper work right now to get that going?
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Balki

    Balki The Perfect Stranger
    7+ Year Member

    Aug 23, 2003
    Likes Received:
    You are definitely considered a student and you can deffer your loans while you are in "graduate dental education" I have no idea whether you are behind or not, talk to you fin aid adviser in dental school. Or look at your lenders website. there is a form you need to file /even though sometimes an institution will file it for you automatically. get on it and you'll be fine. I hope this helps
  4. ItsGavinC

    Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

    Oct 7, 2001
    Likes Received:
    You need to fill out an internship deferment form (although on that form it says that graduate dental students should fill out an in-school deferment form instead).

    If a deferment doesn't work, then you can fill out a forebearance form, but GL shouldn't have any problem with the in-school or internship/residency deferment form.

Share This Page