Student Perspective of WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I am a second year Podiatry student at westernU . After talking to many experts in the field of Podiatry, and the Podiatry professors in our school all of them seem extremely satisfied with their financial status and more importantly they are happy with their career choice. Please feel free to email me at kkaur @ western. edu if you have any other concerns.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello ,
I am a second year DPM student at WesternU and to be honest I don't know of any 2 year residency programs that still exist . All the residency programs that I know of are 3years so I am not sure about this law . Are you thinking about going into Podiatry ?

Thanks for replying back.

I guess the FAQ needs to be updated then..lol

To follow up, the class of 2020 will be taking the USMLE? I'm guessing its STEP 1? Are they also taking the APMLE Part 1? And, since the USMLE exam is to see how they will do when compared to the DO students (since the curriculum is more or less the same for the first two years), and will it go on their record?

This is very Exciting..lol

Thanks!
I am a second year at WesternU part of the class of 2020 and we will be taking the the CBSE and if we all as a class do well then yes there is a high chance that we will take the USMLE step1 but not anytime soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a second year at WesternU part of the class of 2020 and we will be taking the the CBSE and if we all as a class do well then yes there is a high chance that we will take the USMLE step1 but not anytime soon.
Is the just the western students that will take the USMLE? Like as an experiment or what? What about the other 8 schools? What’s the reasoning?

what is a purpose of taking USMLE?

do you have to say it every time that you are second year student?

is it Western recruiting new students?

It is not, but people from other countries do fine after adequate studying. If they can get competitive scores, pods can too.

I just do not understand a reason why though.

I was referring to the CBSE, which is a mini-USMLE Step 1 exam that covers the first two years of basic sciences. Many DO/MD schools offer these exams first and students only take the real Step 1 after receiving a specific score on the CBSE.

IMGs/FMGs can literally take months or years to study for these exams so they can do a little better than others. But the amount of time have to study for these exams is not the main factor, imo, its all about the school you went to and how your curriculum was, so kids from the MD/DO schools do fine in their 4-6 week of prep time.

With the right curriculum, even we as Pod students can excel in these exams.

As for as the reasons why WesternU is doing this, only time will tell.

Reactions: 1 user